Schlumberger

Updated Dec 1, 2014

3.3

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger in July 2013.

Got offered an assessment center a week after applying, was a full day in Aberdeen. right from the start was the toughest interview i've ever had! we waited in the canteen at the start of the day then were lead into a room and with no introductions or anything were told there's 3 different logic tests on the table, we have one hour and anyone who gets under 70% their day is over. so a pretty stressful start.
4 of the 12 failed the test and after that things were a bit more relaxed with a long talk about how the industry works and where Schlumberger fits into this. next we had to give a 5 minute presentation about ourselves which was all fairly straight forward. after lunch there was a group exercise where we had to build a structure for 3 people to fit under out of 25 sheets of paper and some selotape. my team built a Teepee which was the best one.
finally there was a practical test where we had to assemble a valve and the interview. the interview was very standard compitency questions however the women asking the questions seemed very disinterested and not impressed by my answers which knocked my confidence a bit and my interview only lasted 10 minutes compared to 30 for everyone else. i think this was because i was the last person and we had allready ran over time. i thought the day went terribly and wasnt expecting anything to come but 3 weeks later i got an offer!

Interview Questions
  • Give me an example of when you've been shouted at or told off by a customer or coworker who wasnt happy with your work   View Answer
No negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for Schlumberger

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Schlumberger.

Applied online for the field engineer position in August 2013. In november they sent me an invitation by e-mail to invite me to an assesment. The day started with a company presentation and continued with 3 tests : Math, Mechanics and Logic. Each test has a completion time of 40 minutes and they are given one after the other. So this is challenging because some of the questions require some time to think them through. Unfortunately my score was not high enough and for me the assesment stopped there.

Interview Questions
    • Whan can you determine with acoustic logging?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gatwick, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Schlumberger.

Applied online 4 weeks ago and received an email inviting me to attend an assessment day at their office in Gatwick.

Started the day with a brief presentation about the company and were then given the opportunity to ask a Field Engineer a number of questions. Seems like interesting but very demanding work.

Then had to sit 3 tests, the first of which was a relatively straightforward logic test which I think everyone seemed comfortable with. The had to sit two more tests which were unlike anything I have ever done before, and were very difficult having 20 questions and a 15 minute time limit. I guess everyone passed though as no one was asked to leave.

Then had to give our individual presentations, relatively straightforward however I would advise anyone that is applying for this job to make their presentation as interesting as possible and not just fill 5 slides with writing, as it can become a snore fest otherwise.

After this we had lunch. Then had a group exercise in the afternoon which involved building a structure from paper and sellotape that could support the interviewers phone, and the winning group was the one which was tallest. This was surprisingly fun and a nice change from the high pressure morning tests and presentations.

After this had a half hour technical interview, where they basically went through my CV and asked a few engineering based questions. Then a half hour interview with HR in which you had to assemble a valve in under 5 minutes (or try to), and then answer bog standard interview questions (why do you want to work in Oil and Gas etc).

Overall was an enjoyable but slightly exhausting day.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a recent example in which you used logic to solve an engineering problem.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gatwick, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger in November 2014.

Application involved submitting a CV.
    Assessment Center - A presentation given by the company, explaining how the company works and giving more information about the role we had applied for. 1 hour of logic testing. We then all gave a presentation about ourselves for 5 minutes. We then conducted an individual 30 minute interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you deferring away from your original sector of engineering?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger in November 2014.

Process was very straight forward. Applied online and submitted a CV. No cover letter required. Talked to one of the engineering recruiters at my university's careers fair. She passed on her contact card and took my CV. I later received an email for an invite to an assessment centre in Aberdeen.

The assessment centre consisted of an introduction to Schlumberger and how their business operates. Be prepared to ask questions and answer queries regarding the companies history. There were timed IQ style tests that lasted approximately 1 hr. It is key to be prepared at this stage and make sure to practice as much as possible. There were no numerical style questions. One of the tests consisted of 3x3 matrices where you have to discover a pattern in a small amount of time.

Later we carried out our self-presentations that were prepared in advance and assembled a valve with an interview to follow.

Interview Questions
    • each candidate had to assemble a diaphragm valve (for gas) within 5 minutes with parts missing. Its important to remain calm at this stage and not to be thrown off. If you do not assemble it within the allocated time, talk about what you would have done to complete the valve. You are provided a cross sectional drawing and not an exploded diagram. They later asked the usual HR questions and what product line interests you the most.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gatwick, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Schlumberger in December 2012.

Initially an assessment centre followed by an individual interview in the office which you'd be working in.
      The assessment centre was a joke. The format was an IQ test, individual presentation, group task and then individual interview.
      I arrived 10 minutes early to be prepared, a woman arrived 15 minutes late told us to follow her (didn't bother introducing herself). We were then sat in a room and asked to do an IQ test (apparently 4 years at University isn't a measure of intelligence). The next task was a pre-arranged presentation on ourselves, the recruiter wasn't even paying attention, which was made worse by the questions session when she quickly glanced at my CV saw the first thing on there asked me about it when I'd already explained that in the presentation.
      The next part of the day was the group task, whilst I realise that usually they are looking at how we work as a team when building a paper tower, when you notice that they're just checking their emails it's somewhat disheartening. The final interview involved putting together a piece of kit, the instructions are included I didn't realise. Despite this car-crash of a day I got a second interview.
      The second part is where a bit of context may be useful; the job is advertised as an offshore job, not entirely my cup of tea but beggars can't be choosers. I arrived in some hole of an industrial estate outside Aberdeen the guy I was due to meet was friendly and the team were welcoming enough. But when I tole him that I thought the job was offshore he looked at me incredulously and told me that they'd struggle to send people offshore. Bizarre.

Interview Questions
    • Putting together the piece of kit, make sure you find the instructions!!   Answer Question

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Inverurie, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Inverurie, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger in July 2013.

Applied online and after about a month was called for an assessment centre. Was told to prepare a 5 minute presentation about topics that were sent with the invite.

The environment and employees were friendly. Started the day with introduction and some IQ tests. Then the hr manager gave a pretty detailed presentation about the company and work we will be doing. This was followed by presentations and lunch. Finally there was a group exercise and then an interview with a couple of the employees.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult pretty straight forward questions were asked. In the interview was told to assemble a valve but that was pretty easy if you use a diagram that is provided.   View Answers (2)

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

Resume shortlisting for campus placements. Followed by group discussion on an abstract topic. Further involves a group activity(discussion based on a hypothetical situation ). group activity is one of the toughest rounds. The interview is purely HR, no technical. Mostly discussing what you did and how you did it. being a part of a sports team helps.