Schlumberger

Updated Dec 12, 2014
1,022 Interview Reviews

2.9

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Schlumberger.

The interview was long and exhausting. But, it was very informative and the whole event felt very personal. I enjoyed the process. The presentations also helped me decide which part of company I feel as though I would have been a good fit for.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't necessarily ask how I would act, they saw through team building activities.   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Schlumberger.

Met at Career Fair on campus and interviewed on campus within a few days. On-campus interview was standard behavioral questions. A few weeks later they flew me out to Midland, TX for an on site interview with about 20 other candidates. There's a long day of powerpoint presentations and some group problem solving exercises they have you go through. Then they take you out to an active site and give you a tour. Interesting and fun experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you ran into a problem and how you solved it.   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Schlumberger.

I applied through my university. The process took a total of 3 months.
    I went to the info session at my university in early September and gave the recruiter my resume, although I was informed all interview spots were filled. Late that night, I received a call from the recruiter saying a spot had opened up for an interview, and it was mine if I wanted it. Naturally, I accepted.
    The first interview was wonderful. I had had the worst interview of my life two days prior with halliburton. I'm a female petroleum engineer and halliburton interviewed me with a male electrical engineer. The difference in Schlumberger was incredible. I was interviewed by a female petroleum engineer, and I honestly felt like I was sitting down for coffee with a friend. We laughed, we told stories--standard interview questions were asked, but it barely felt like an interview.
    About three weeks later, I received an invitation for a second interview in Midland, TX, which I scheduled to take place at the end of November. Less than a week before the interview, I received an email with a petroleum topic and a list of my group members and their contact information for a presentation on that topic. They flew me out and put me up in a hotel room (unfortunately, I had a roommate, but some people didn't). There were about 20 of us there, and the first night was a little rough.
    We began with introductions, ice breakers, and so on, before finally breaking for dinner at 8 PM (I had only eaten a small bag of airline pretzels, and all the restaurants in Texas are closed on Sunday). After dinner, we continued presentations until 10, when we were about halfway through, and broke again for a team building exercise. We were asked to build a device using pencils, plastic cutlery, duct tape, and rubber bands that would get a ping pong ball in a plastic cup 5 feet above the ground.
    After the group building excercise, we finished presentations a little after midnight (there was coffee in the room, so be sure you drink a lot if you're not a night owl).
    The next morning was early; we were expected to be on the bus in full PPE by 8 AM. The site we were visiting was only a half hour from the hotel, but we got turned around several times, so it took 2 hours to get there. If you get car sick easily, bring some dramamine. I don't ever get car sick, but these were dirt roads with huge ruts that made the bus vibrate and shake non stop until I was sick.
    After visiting this site, we got lunch at a little chinese buffet and then headed over to a wireline facility in town to tour. At about 3, we headed back to the hotel and went straight back to the conference room where they asked us to reintroduce ourselves, say if we still wanted to work for Schlumberger, and if so, which area of Schlumberger.
    This part was tricky. The recruiters asked technical questions about the sections each person chose, and many people had trouble answering them. Be sure you actually know what's involved in the section you're choosing, because the recruiters are going to ask some tough questions.
    At about 5, we broke for individual interviews, ranging from 5:30 -7:30. Mine just consisted of the recruiter asking what I wanted to do and where and why. It was only a quick 10 minute interview.
    At 8, we left for dinner and ate at a nice steakhouse. Schlumberger invited people we'd met at the sites that day and we all ate and drank and got to ask the other employees questions. It was wonderful. We stayed at the restaurant until about 11, and when we returned to the hotel, the recruiters told us that they looked forward to seeing some of us in the company, but that not all of us would be hired. My flight back home the next morning was at 5:30 and my shuttle left at 4:30, so I got about an hour of sleep that night.
    8 days after I left Texas, I received a job offer in my first choice of area and location.

Interview Questions
    • Very standard behavioral questions in the first interview.
      The 2nd interview had technical questions on the area you decide you want to work in, so study up and know as much as you can about the topic you're given to present on (which you will also be asked technical questions on) and the area in which you're choosing to work.

Answer Question
    No negotiation. They give an offer, and you accept or you don't.

Maintenance Worker Interview

The interview was on site at the maintenance shop. It consisted of myself and three of the main bosses that you would be working under. They asked basic behavioral questions and nothing out of the ordinary. I was offered the job on the spot

Interview Questions
    • What is a weakness of yours and how do you deal with it.   Answer Question

Applications Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Schlumberger in December 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter from Randstad Technologies and interviewed with Schlumberger two days later. According to the recruiter, Schlumberger was very interested in meeting me to interview, but the feeling was otherwise once I arrived there and it was very obvious. The hiring manager was not aware of recruiters who were sending me to interview there and had no idea what agency they were from. The interviewer was middle eastern and had poor english, along with bad understanding of questions that I asked during the interview. The interviewer basically asked me questions about work experience that I do not possess, neither indicated on my resume, as well as NOT being listed in the job description, which was a way of blackballing me from being hired. The interviewer came out and said that they have not been able to hire anyone after interviewing eight candidates in two weeks for the job and I see why. Schlumberger is expecting "perfect" candidates, which does not exist in the corporate world, as well as not having competent staff to interview candidates. Also, I noticed that 98% of the staff there were foreigners and it seems as though Schlumberger predominantly hires foreigners. After interviewing that day and doing some research on Schlumberger reviews, I came across several that express the same experience about not being a diverse company to work for by former Schlumberger employees. I was very excited to interview with Schlumberger, but after the experience, I have lost interest in working for Schlumberger and would rather go to a competitor like Halliburton, KBR, Waetherford, or Technip.

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Schlumberger.

Brought a group of us to a district office and proceeded to keep us awake all night to see if we could handle long hours. Personality tests, team building etc.

Interview Questions
    • Do you think you can stay awake for long periods of time and remain standing for that time.   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

First interview was on campus. Second interview they flew me out to Bakersfield CA where we did group activities and presentations until about 3am. Then we woke up and had a field trip as well as exit interviews one on one. I am currently awaiting an offer, and its been 1 1/2 weeks.

Geologist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Schlumberger.

Sent in my resume online through my university they contacted me after I was picked for an interview spot. Spots were very limited, most of my classmates did not get a spot. I signed up for a spot online. There was one single person interviewing and the interview was horrible. The interviewer was so tired they kept yawning and mixed up the questions. Moreover, they complained about how much they had to fly and what state they had to be in tomorrow. They could not answer my questions and knew nothing about geology. When I answered a question about my resume they didn't even type any of it in the computer and it was relevant to all sorts of skills. The interviewer barely typed anything I said at all and was just yawning the whole time.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you created something to solve a problem. Like if you had a flat tire and you fixed it with nothing but a paperclip and a string.   View Answer

Field Technical Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Schlumberger.

I talked to a recruiter at my university. They were really helpful and friendly [even though that recruiting event was for engineers, not geologists like me]. I gave them my resume, they emailed me a few days later asking me to apply. Which I did, and scored a phone interview right off. She said she wanted to give me a second interview on site, but to wait till March or so because I graduate in May.

Everyone I've talked to so far has been really nice. We'll see what happens next.

Interview Questions
    • There honestly weren't any difficult questions in the phone interview. But if you're applying for a field position, be sure to be ready to talk about how many hours at a time you're willing to work.   Answer Question
    [by that I mean they offered a second interview]

Field Engineer Interview

Called for an on-campus interview after the career fair. First-round interview as basic questions about behavior and how you work in teams. They never got back to me for a second-round, so i assume it went nowhere. Overall the interview was pretty easy and only around 20 minutes long. They were friendly and were interested in you.