Schlumberger Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015
1,137 Interview Reviews

2.9

CNC Machinist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview

I was living in another state, but they flew me out for an interview. A few weeks later they sent me an offer, I negotiated it, and it was agreed upon. I then filled out a paper application, so they could get my info for a background check. After I passed the background check I drove to their location knowing I could pass the urine analysis, hair follicle test and breathalyzer. They kept me up in a hotel as I awaited the results and found a place to live.

Interview Questions

• It's an easy interview if you know what you're doing. None of that HR crap. I interviewed directly with a machinist.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They sent me a contract which consisted of my hourly pay and my relocation package. I told them I wanted more and they gave me what I wanted.

Field Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sugar Land, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Schlumberger (Sugar Land, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

The interviewer was really nice and informative. He asks the basic questions on your resume but the phone interview is hard to hear if your connection isn't great so try hard to pay attention. A little stressful but nothing too hard. I thought I was panicking but apparently not cause the interview went well.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a basic algebra question so pay attention.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I'm going to the a second interview next month.

Electronics Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger (Tulsa, OK) in January 2015.

Interview

Phone interview first, then was flown to Tulsa, OK for in-person interview. Stayed at a Hilton hotel and had a nice dinner when I got there at night. They even let us and encouraged us to have a few drinks during dinner. Everything was laid back. Attendees for the in-person interview were put into 4 groups to practice team building skills. Everyone was being evaluated the whole time.

Interview Questions

• What is the total resistance of adding two 100 ohm resistors in parallel. In series?   2 Answers

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview

The interview was long and exhausting. But, it was very informative and the whole event felt very personal. I enjoyed the process. The presentations also helped me decide which part of company I feel as though I would have been a good fit for.

Interview Questions

• They didn't necessarily ask how I would act, they saw through team building activities.   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview

Met at Career Fair on campus and interviewed on campus within a few days. On-campus interview was standard behavioral questions. A few weeks later they flew me out to Midland, TX for an on site interview with about 20 other candidates. There's a long day of powerpoint presentations and some group problem solving exercises they have you go through. Then they take you out to an active site and give you a tour. Interesting and fun experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you ran into a problem and how you solved it.   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview

I applied through my university. The process took a total of 3 months.
    I went to the info session at my university in early September and gave the recruiter my resume, although I was informed all interview spots were filled. Late that night, I received a call from the recruiter saying a spot had opened up for an interview, and it was mine if I wanted it. Naturally, I accepted.
    The first interview was wonderful. I had had the worst interview of my life two days prior with halliburton. I'm a female petroleum engineer and halliburton interviewed me with a male electrical engineer. The difference in Schlumberger was incredible. I was interviewed by a female petroleum engineer, and I honestly felt like I was sitting down for coffee with a friend. We laughed, we told stories--standard interview questions were asked, but it barely felt like an interview.
    About three weeks later, I received an invitation for a second interview in Midland, TX, which I scheduled to take place at the end of November. Less than a week before the interview, I received an email with a petroleum topic and a list of my group members and their contact information for a presentation on that topic. They flew me out and put me up in a hotel room (unfortunately, I had a roommate, but some people didn't). There were about 20 of us there, and the first night was a little rough.
    We began with introductions, ice breakers, and so on, before finally breaking for dinner at 8 PM (I had only eaten a small bag of airline pretzels, and all the restaurants in Texas are closed on Sunday). After dinner, we continued presentations until 10, when we were about halfway through, and broke again for a team building exercise. We were asked to build a device using pencils, plastic cutlery, duct tape, and rubber bands that would get a ping pong ball in a plastic cup 5 feet above the ground.
    After the group building excercise, we finished presentations a little after midnight (there was coffee in the room, so be sure you drink a lot if you're not a night owl).
    The next morning was early; we were expected to be on the bus in full PPE by 8 AM. The site we were visiting was only a half hour from the hotel, but we got turned around several times, so it took 2 hours to get there. If you get car sick easily, bring some dramamine. I don't ever get car sick, but these were dirt roads with huge ruts that made the bus vibrate and shake non stop until I was sick.
    After visiting this site, we got lunch at a little chinese buffet and then headed over to a wireline facility in town to tour. At about 3, we headed back to the hotel and went straight back to the conference room where they asked us to reintroduce ourselves, say if we still wanted to work for Schlumberger, and if so, which area of Schlumberger.
    This part was tricky. The recruiters asked technical questions about the sections each person chose, and many people had trouble answering them. Be sure you actually know what's involved in the section you're choosing, because the recruiters are going to ask some tough questions.
    At about 5, we broke for individual interviews, ranging from 5:30 -7:30. Mine just consisted of the recruiter asking what I wanted to do and where and why. It was only a quick 10 minute interview.
    At 8, we left for dinner and ate at a nice steakhouse. Schlumberger invited people we'd met at the sites that day and we all ate and drank and got to ask the other employees questions. It was wonderful. We stayed at the restaurant until about 11, and when we returned to the hotel, the recruiters told us that they looked forward to seeing some of us in the company, but that not all of us would be hired. My flight back home the next morning was at 5:30 and my shuttle left at 4:30, so I got about an hour of sleep that night.
    8 days after I left Texas, I received a job offer in my first choice of area and location.

Interview Questions

• Very standard behavioral questions in the first interview.
      The 2nd interview had technical questions on the area you decide you want to work in, so study up and know as much as you can about the topic you're given to present on (which you will also be asked technical questions on) and the area in which you're choosing to work.

Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. They give an offer, and you accept or you don't.

Applications Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Schlumberger (Houston, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter from Randstad Technologies and interviewed with Schlumberger two days later. According to the recruiter, Schlumberger was very interested in meeting me to interview, but the feeling was otherwise once I arrived there and it was very obvious. The hiring manager was not aware of recruiters who were sending me to interview there and had no idea what agency they were from. The interviewer was middle eastern and had poor english, along with bad understanding of questions that I asked during the interview. The interviewer basically asked me questions about work experience that I do not possess, neither indicated on my resume, as well as NOT being listed in the job description, which was a way of blackballing me from being hired. The interviewer came out and said that they have not been able to hire anyone after interviewing eight candidates in two weeks for the job and I see why. Schlumberger is expecting "perfect" candidates, which does not exist in the corporate world, as well as not having competent staff to interview candidates. Also, I noticed that 98% of the staff there were foreigners and it seems as though Schlumberger predominantly hires foreigners. After interviewing that day and doing some research on Schlumberger reviews, I came across several that express the same experience about not being a diverse company to work for by former Schlumberger employees. I was very excited to interview with Schlumberger, but after the experience, I have lost interest in working for Schlumberger and would rather go to a competitor like Halliburton, KBR, Waetherford, or Technip.

Field Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sugar Land, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Schlumberger (Sugar Land, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

Initial phone interview came a month after applying, was told it was for Mudlogging. 2nd interview I was flown to Houston, TX for 2-day process in Sugarland. On 1st day we all were informed there were about 8 different types of jobs besides mudlogging. Informative as the first day was about each jobs' duties and lifestyles, a quick turn around of choosing was expected. 2nd day included test rig site tour and individual interviews dependent upon job selection.

Interview Questions

• What is the most important measurement/data with on-site wireline data acquisition?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Only negotiable factors are start date and location. Salary is not; they tell you this during 2nd interview.

Maintenance Worker Interview

Interview

The interview was on site at the maintenance shop. It consisted of myself and three of the main bosses that you would be working under. They asked basic behavioral questions and nothing out of the ordinary. I was offered the job on the spot

Interview Questions

• What is a weakness of yours and how do you deal with it.   Answer Question

Mud Logger Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Schlumberger (Dallas, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

After a 30-40 min phone interview, I flew to Texas and spent two half days learning about the company, the different positions available, and the typical work day. The second day was spent at the practice rig by the company's building and seeing where each job is performed. After the rig tour, each person was brought into their own interviews that were randomly assigned based on flight times home. Each Interview last approximately 15 min.