Schlumberger

Relevance Date Difficulty

Field Engineer Intern Interview

Field Engineer Intern
Bakersfield, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and got an interview offer. Went to a basic information session the day before the interview.

Interview was completely behavioral based with a simple problem solving riddles where you explain your thought process. Interviewer didn't ask me if I had any questions and frankly seemed cold but I still got a second interview invitation in Bakersfield, CA.

Before you go to the interview you are assigned a random team of other attendees where you will have to work together to put on a presentation about a branch of Schlumberger. You will spend the first evening doing these presentations from 8PM to 3AM at the latest. Stay focused and ask a few questions. The second day you are up and touring some of the surrounding fields and facilities. You are given a lot of chances to ask questions and get close up to the technology they use.

Interview Question – You have 8 blocks and 7 are 1lb and 1 is 2lb. How do you figure out which one is 2lb if you can only use a scale twice?   View Answer

Field Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Schlumberger in February 2014.

Interview Details – Interview involved a lot of questions about my resume. Specifically they keyed in on things that fit with their company. Furthermore, they gave some time to ask them questions about their company but overall it was more of them feeling out for the type of person I was.

Interview Question – Explain why you wanted to go into engineering over medicine?   Answer Question

Field Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview Details – I had a first interview on campus during which I was asked typical behavioral interview questions like dealing with difficult co-workers and why I wanted to work for Schlumberger.

The next day I was informed that I had passed the first interview and that I would be invited to a second interview in Texas about a month later. About a week before the second interview, I received further information about the interview, including being assigned a topic and a team with whom I would prepare a 5-6 minute presentation on the specified topic. The interview would be a group interview with a little over twenty candidates.

The second interview started with an early flight to Texas, getting into a hotel in the early afternoon. The group interview started at 5pm. It started with everyone introducing themselves, and then the recruiters provided some general information about the company. After dinner, we started to go over the different segments of Schlumberger and the different job opportunities. Each team would give a presentation about the segment they were assigned to research, after which they were asked more detailed questions by the recruiters. The group interview was over at 2:30am.

At 7:00 am, we had breakfast in the hotel and went on a field visit to several Schlumberger field operations. His was very informative and interesting, but it was certainly a test of endurance to stay alert and engaged for the whole day.

During both the first and second days, the recruiters were taking notes on everything.

At 4:30 pm we arrived back at the hotel, and were given a time slot between 6pm and 8:30 pm during which we would have a one-on-one exit interview. During this interview with a recruiter I indicated my preferred segments and locations, and had the opportunity to ask any questions I had for the recruiter.

At 9 pm we went to dinner as a group with the recruiters and several Schlumberger engineers we had met during the day in the field. Upon return to the hotel around midnight we were released. My flight home left the next morning.

Interview Question – The most difficult questions were technical questions about the assigned topic after the presentation. I spent many hours researching my topic and was able to answer the questions satisfactorily, but there were other groups that struggled with some of the questions.   Answer Question

Field Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in October 2012.

Interview Details – Brief on campus screening with basic technical interview followed by group interview on site. We were kept up very late and awoken very early in the morning for the oilfield tour. The onsite interview had a brief one on one interview at the end.

Interview Question – If your boyfriend was in town for your anniversary and you wouldn't see him again for months, but you had a shift on that day what would you do?   Answer Question

Intern In REMS Interview

Intern In REMS

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in March 2014.

Interview Details – I had two rounds of interviews from SDR. One is from a scientist and the other is from HR. The scientific interview is not very difficult. I just talked about my experience doing related research and taking applied math and computational classes. I was lucky since my expertise just fit into the position opened for interns. One week later, I got an phone interview from HR. Interviewer asked typical "HR questions", as you know. Not very fun but I passed it. It seems that the technical interview from Schlumberger is much more important.

Interview Question – Why you choose Geophysics as your career from the very beginning since college (from HR interview)?   View Answer

Field Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview Details – Interviewed during the Field Camp. They showed you all the segments and then asked you to list your favorites. Behavioral questions mainly.

Interview Question – Behavioral Questions   View Answer

REMS Software Engineer Interview

REMS Software Engineer
Sugar Land, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in March 2014.

Interview Details – Started out with talking to one of the recruiters during career fair (was a huge line and waited for almost an hour until i was able to talk). This was almost a short mini interview and consisted of talking about what languages i'm good at (they seem to like C++, C#, Matlab) and then asked about projects i did in school or a internship. Although i didn't know then but from what i know now this part is important since each of the interviewers have a card that is marked 1-10 in terms of what they think of ur skill level and another box for "yes" or "no". At the end they will throw out all the no's and non 10's so do your best during this very short career fair mini interview that is about 5 - 10 min long. Also i strongly suggest waiting in the line with the interviewer that spends a lot of time with each person because everyone goes through candidates in different speeds. The more they let you talk the better

Then I had a interview on my school campus that was 45 min long. Talked about the various projects i did, the technical aspects of it and what i am interested in and asked basic programming questions like stack/heap, virtual classes, etc. No paper and pen or white board.

Then i got to the final stage. The interview is about 1.5 days. You arrive the day before during the afternoon. You get to check into your hotel and then you go on a 1 hour tour of the sugarland campus. Afterwards you have a dinner where you are given a presentation about the company and you are split into tables of your same majors. (mech, EE, CS) and there is at least 1 manager of the relevant field in each table. The manager on your table will be one of your interviewers the next day so its a good idea to get a good impression from him/her. After dinner you split into groups and do a team building exercise. In my case we had to build a catapult for marshmallows using pop sickle sticks, pencil, rubber bands, etc. Then you have a competition using it. The managers during this time will go around and see what everyone does. This event may be just for fun or they may be gauging you on team work and creativity i have no idea though.

The next day, interview took place in the hotel, not on sugarland campus. All the candidates are broken into groups of their respective field/major. Then each person does a 7 min presentation on a past project one did with a room full of managers of your respective field with 3 min for questions at the end. Then there are four 45 min interviews with different managers and 15 min break in between. Each one asked different things. They like asking questions on projects you did, what classes you liked and why. What you look for in this company. They will also ask questions like "what was the coolest project you've seen?", "what do you think technology will be like 5, 10 years from now?" "what kind of version control do you use?". They asked basic questions on object oriented principles, threads, and stack/heap. They also asked for technical and design details regarding the project you have presented as well as basic behavioral questions: "leadership, managing time, organization, etc". This last phase of the interview had no white board or paper/pen coding. Make sure you think of questions for each one of the interviewers since they will always leave room for questions at the end. After this was done they had me fill out a feed back regarding interview process and was told i would hear back from 2-3 weeks. I heard back after 1 full week.

Interview Question – what is the cost for context switching for threads?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – was very happy with the starting salary so i accepted without negotiation

Very Easy Interview

Geophysicist Interview

Geophysicist
Morgantown, WV

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview Details – I have a BA in physics and applied to this job online. About a week and a half later I was informed through my college (you can apply to jobs with an online service through my college) that I had an interview. The interview was VERY easy and the woman I spoke with was very nice.

She asked basic questions: "why did you pick your major", "what do you know about the company", "why would you like to work for us?", things of this nature. The interview was going well until I had mentioned the job was close to my hometown so that was a big plus. She asked which location and she said there were no jobs for that location at this time. She also told me that I was the 3rd or 4th person to recently mention that posting (ugh fake job postings...). I was still offered the job to move to Texas but I declined.

Interview Question – Do you have experience traveling outside of the US.   View Answer

Field Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview Details – I found slb during campus career fair. Talked to them and they scheduled a phone interview. In the phone interview they ask me the old goody questions (tell us about yourself, why slb, your weakness, ...). At the end they ask me (how many people go in and out of the JFK airport everyday). Remember, they are not looking for the right answer, they just want to know your thinking processes. After that, I waited about 4 weeks, then they sent me an email saying that they want me for s second face-to-face interview. In the second interview,they were 4 people and they ask the same questions, one asked me what would I do if I win the lottery today. They were very friendly, but it was very stressful.

Interview Question – How many people go in and out of the JFK airport everyday?   Answer Question

R&D Engineering Intern Interview

R&D Engineering Intern

Interviewed at Schlumberger

Interview Details – Applied at career fair, was emailed for an interview on campus.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you failed, what happened?   Answer Question