Schlumberger

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Conway, AR

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in November 2010.

Interview Details – 1 on-campus interview, then second round interview onsite 5 days long with group of 24 others all recent grads. there are no tests, just building activities

Interview Question – if you have 2 candles with wicks on both ends and 1 takes 1 hour to melt completely, how do you tell, without measuring, when 45 minutes has passed   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Novosibirsk (Russia)

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in November 2010.

Interview Details – Basically in my case it was two interviews. First one was short introduction to recruiter in my university and second was one day of assessment center with some IQ and personality tests and team games with presentations to 3 or 4 recruiters. We were 10 students from different universities willing to become a field engineers.
I've got an email confirming my acceptance by company in two weeks and job offer as soon as I finish my study. In some cases it takes a few month to get an offer.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions, just be yourself is the best advice ever. Maybe you'll be asked to assemble some tool, but it's not critical if you can't. The most important is the ability to play in team and be a strong leader.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You can ask for a specific segment like Drilling or Well Service. Also should mention if you want or don't want to go to another country on permanent basic. I would propose to ask for so called ' international mobile position'.

Bandung (Indonesia)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in April 2010.

Interview Details – 1. There are around 1000 students that are applying for the job, there are 5 interviewers. The interviewers are carrying bottle with a lot of small papers. We need to pick up this paper and tell the interviewer whatever is written in the paper for 1 min. In my case I got "plastic"
2. Now there are only 100 students and we are divided into group of 10 students. We are given materials (paper, scissors, glue, etc) and we need to create a vehicle that can be used in both dessert and arctic. We need to present the project later on
3. Final interview with the recruiter. I got question: It is 3 AM in the morning and you have to go offshore but your crew is still sleeping and doesn't want to go up. What will you do?

Interview Question – I got question: It is 3 AM in the morning and you have to go offshore but your crew is still sleeping and doesn't want to go up. What will you do?   View Answers (2)

Interviewed at Schlumberger

Interview Details – Resume shortlisting-Extra-curricular activities are stressed upon and sports as well
GD-Abstract topic.Good communication skills and out of box thinking and keep you in good stead.
Group activity-Show leadership skills and be co-ordinate with your team members.

Moscow (Russia)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in April 2009.

Interview Details – 2 steps:
- 30-min short interview with the recruiter to understand whether you suit the profile
- 1-day interview (assessment) when you work as a team, present and demonstate your other soft and technical skills

Interview Question – Do not remember such questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The pay is fixed, no negotiations. The package has exceeded expectations

Junior Field Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in January 2009.

Interview Details – Got called for an interview
was put under pressure during the interview in order to see how i react in situations I am not familiar with.
then was asked to perform an IQ test while everyone around me was having a conversation.
Waited 2 months to hear back the feedback of the interview.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you have explosives down hole and the break of the wireline holding the explosive fails?   Answer Question
  • Why did you decide to play as a guard in basket ball?   Answer Question
  • Name 5 weaknesses in you   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation is possible

Junior Field Engineer

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in June 2008.

Interview Details – The recruitment day involved group activities including , paper tower group build, 'black bear test' as well as individual assessments including mechanical engineering basics test, a personal profile presentation and a 1:1 interview.
Make sure you act professionally even though it may seem like a casual atmosphere.
It would also be good to take advantage of opportunities to meet current field engineers to find out what it will really be like. Try to get them to give honest answers - field life can be tough.

Interview Question – What are your weakest points   Answer Question

Red Deer, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in August 2008.

Interview Details – Applied through career fair at university. Schlumberger only visits some of the best Universities in the country. Lengthy and intensive process, took 3 months. First round was 1 on 1 interview at the university where you are tested on skills, behavourial. 2 nd round was a visit of field location and interviews with different managers.

Interview Question – Was asked on the reason why manhole are round.
Was quizzed on various mathematical and skill questions.
  View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – Negociation on location of employment was possible, actually very flexible in their segment or location. No room for negociation on Salary. Consider a location based on its proximity to anything decent if possible. Most of the field offices are located in very small communities without much to offer.

Junior Field Engineer

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in January 2008.

Interview Details – Interviewing process consited of two phases: individual interview (1 hour or s)o and group assessment (more than 6 hours). Individual interview was pretty standard with all those questions: Why Schlumberger? Why petroleum industry? Strengths? Weaknesses? Group assessment was funny part where you're expected to show collaboration and common sense. One exercise was: to select in group things to take on Mars - final answer should be agreed by every one but the one who persuaded other gets the most points. Another exercise was to build device from everything you have on the tables which allows the egg to get down from the ceiling to the floor.

Interview Question – Do you understand that Schlumberger may and will require you to work in harsh conditions like jungle or siberia, where you may experience lack of common comfort, like pure water, neutral temperature etc? How do you intend to handle that?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I wasn't able to negotiate anything. Salary and social package was way ahead of what competitors offer.

Junior Field Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in October 2007.

Interview Details – It started with a phone interview with a recruiter. After the phone interview you get invited for an onsite interview. The onsite interview consist of an all day tour of their facilities with a group of other recruits. Then they take you out to dinner and you can drink as much beer as you want. The big kicker here is your interview starts at 10pm that night after the drinking.

Interview Question – What was your best McGuyver moment?   View Answers (6)

Negotiation Details – Try to get the location/segment you want before accepting. Try to talk to people who work there. They will always tell you it depends.

Worked for Schlumberger? Contribute to the Community!