Schlumberger

Updated Oct 30, 2014
Updated Oct 30, 2014

31 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger in October 2014.

I had an on-campus interview with Schlumberger in which we discussed my past experiences and went over basic behavioral/interest questions. I connected well with the interviewer; she had a similar research background and enjoyed her time at Schlumberger.

I was invited to interview in Sugar Land (Houston), Texas, for positions in REMS - Research, Engineering, Manufacturing, Sustaining. At the interview I was asked to give a 7-minute presentation (10 slides or fewer) explaining a technical project to Schlumberger leadership with a few minutes of questions. Afterward, I had 4 one-on-one interviews with managers from across Schlumberger REMS.

One day later I received an offer for a position in Houston within the Engineering group with two weeks to respond.

Interview Questions
  • The interviewer placed a couple drawings on the desk and asked me to describe the function of the device. What was the material? Where would there be a possibility of mechanical failure? Then, he clarified the purpose of the machinery and asked what design considerations were important. He specifically asked me about design alterations or choices that catered to my background (thermal fluids).   View Answer

I was nervous about becoming just a "number" in a massive company. I was skeptical about the rigid and impersonal advancement process. I felt the recruitment process was very one-sided. Upon receiving the offer, I knew nothing about the potential team or technology that I would be working with. I was offered a position based on Schlumberger's needs, not necessarily my interests.

Other Interview Reviews for Schlumberger

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Initial contact seemed to go smooth from an info session I attended at an on-campus recruiting, and I was contacted for an interview. This interview experience may not apply to everyone, but my interviewer was not very friendly or eager to find out about me. This quickly created a very uncomfortable atmosphere, and becoming worse with everything I said in regards to her question, about myself, etc. I had thought I said my words very carefully, but the response felt I received was something of indifference and discontent, but I think she was just tired and did not care too much.
    As a result I made mistakes on easy technical questions that I usually would have gotten.

Interview Questions
    • There are two cylinders of different lengths with the same thickness and diameter. Which (longer or shorter) will endure more pressure   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Schlumberger.

The process started out from the campus job fair, followed up by a information session and interview on campus held 3 weeks after job fair. The on campus interview was a very basic screening type of interview with few technical questions, after about 3-4 weeks the on-site interviews were held which were completely technical and through , 4 rounds plus presentation.

Interview Questions
    • The on campus interview was very non detailed and it was difficult to judge what was expected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger in November 2013.

I applied to the position through university recruiting in October 2013. The initial screening was made in person at University of California, Berkeley. I got the result one week later to schedule my on site interview in Houston. It was a really nice visit. Company culture was encouraging. Promotion is based on merits and the company lets the employees to choose where they want to work after training period is done. On site interview consists of a presentation on your previous project and 4 behavioral and technical interviews.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I was a consultant and was offered a position. I have, in a panel, interviewed local prospective mechanical engineers. There were no trick questions from any panel members. Education, experience, tell us about the projects you've worked on or managed. CAD and FEA tools used.

Interview Questions
    • HR may ask unexpected questions but engineers typically ask engineering questions.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. I was a consultant for two years. They knew my value and I knew what they should pay. Others have told me they negotiated one or two salary steps

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger in June 2013.

first the phone interview, then invited to TX to have an on-site interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger in April 2013.

They have a two part interview process for new graduate hires. The first part is screening interview either on campus or by phone. For the second part, you are flown out to one of their hiring locations for an all day interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you design a casing that would enclose our field sensor tools?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Schlumberger in March 2013.

I applied for internship but they suggested I should apply for entry level and I accepted. I applied on campus and had interview the same week on campus. The interviewer was very nice and she talked mostly. Then I received an email about a second interview in Houston, Texas. It was for three days. The first day program started around 6 pm. there was some group activity. the second day we visited different department of the center at Houston the whole day. You can ask question if you have any for each department. The third and last day was a presentation followed by 2 hours interview(with 4 different real technical people/ no HR personnel). During presentation there was over 15 real technical people/ engineers and they ask questions on your presentation( what did you do/ what would you do if this happen, what was the result ...). I think it was 7-11 minutes presentation and 3 minutes question and answer. The interview was 30 minutes with each person. question from your resumes on your projects and internships. After that you fly home. Don't wait for them to reply to you soon because they won't. I got replay after a month or so and it was only 1 and a half line which says I didn't get the job. The email was sent automatically and they didn't even have the courage to write.

And today one of my friend who got interview like me and went through the same process told me he didn't get the job. His application was for field engineer and mine was R&D. He applied after me around May 2013 and I applied around beginning of March 2013. He got response after 3 months of waiting.

If you apply for Schlumberger, I suggest don't even put your hope on them for a second.

As much as I don't want to say this, but I think Schlumberger is one big racist company (Black people) who seek opportunities in the upper level....sad ... sad

Interview Questions
    • Know everything that is on your resume. Even quantitative results of your project. I was asked when I presented.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Schlumberger in March 2013.

I don't know how they got my resume, perhaps from a job board where I had posted it. They emailed me out of the blue and asked for a phone interview. After the phone interview I was offered a second interview at their office in Texas, which involved a presentation. I declined the second interview, as I was not willing to relocate. The interview was a combination of personal and technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer asked how I felt about the fact that they are an oil drilling company, which is a rather controversial topic. I think it was to determine how likely I was to accept the job if offered.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sugar Land, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sugar Land, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Schlumberger in December 2012.

1st round was a 30-minute interview over the phone. Was offered a 2nd round interview via email several days later. 2nd round was a 2-day interview process that consisted of a short technical presentation to management/employees, and later four 45-minute one-on-one interviews. During the 2nd round interview all the interviewees received a tour of their Sugar Land campus, and were given the opportunity to ask questions to management.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked about my undergraduate fluid mechanics research, and then was asked OFS relevant technical questions related to fluid mechanics and heat transfer.   Answer Question