Schlumberger Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger (Houston, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Submitted resume at an on campus career fair and was contacted about a week later. I was scheduled for a one on one on campus interview with two weeks to prepare. After the interview, they got back to me about a month later.

The interview went well and they mainly focused on my resume.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Schlumberger

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger (Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

I had an on-campus interview with Schlumberger in which we discussed my past experiences and went over basic behavioral/interest questions. I connected well with the interviewer; she had a similar research background and enjoyed her time at Schlumberger.

I was invited to interview in Sugar Land (Houston), Texas, for positions in REMS - Research, Engineering, Manufacturing, Sustaining. At the interview I was asked to give a 7-minute presentation (10 slides or fewer) explaining a technical project to Schlumberger leadership with a few minutes of questions. Afterward, I had 4 one-on-one interviews with managers from across Schlumberger REMS.

One day later I received an offer for a position in Houston within the Engineering group with two weeks to respond.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer placed a couple drawings on the desk and asked me to describe the function of the device. What was the material? Where would there be a possibility of mechanical failure? Then, he clarified the purpose of the machinery and asked what design considerations were important. He specifically asked me about design alterations or choices that catered to my background (thermal fluids).   1 Answer

I was nervous about becoming just a "number" in a massive company. I was skeptical about the rigid and impersonal advancement process. I felt the recruitment process was very one-sided. Upon receiving the offer, I knew nothing about the potential team or technology that I would be working with. I was offered a position based on Schlumberger's needs, not necessarily my interests.

Anonymous Employee in South Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Schlumberger (South Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

the interview was in Houston. The whole process was going pretty smoothly. They took us around the facility of the production part, then a 7 mins presentation to a group of engineers and finally there were 4 round interview with 4 different engineers. The whole interview started on 8:30 and continued to 3:30 in the afternoon

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between metal and non-metal materials?
      What are the forces acting on the drill bits?
      Draw the moment and share force diagrms

Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interview

Initial contact seemed to go smooth from an info session I attended at an on-campus recruiting, and I was contacted for an interview. This interview experience may not apply to everyone, but my interviewer was not very friendly or eager to find out about me. This quickly created a very uncomfortable atmosphere, and becoming worse with everything I said in regards to her question, about myself, etc. I had thought I said my words very carefully, but the response felt I received was something of indifference and discontent, but I think she was just tired and did not care too much.
    As a result I made mistakes on easy technical questions that I usually would have gotten.

Interview Questions

• There are two cylinders of different lengths with the same thickness and diameter. Which (longer or shorter) will endure more pressure   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview

The process started out from the campus job fair, followed up by a information session and interview on campus held 3 weeks after job fair. The on campus interview was a very basic screening type of interview with few technical questions, after about 3-4 weeks the on-site interviews were held which were completely technical and through , 4 rounds plus presentation.

Interview Questions

• The on campus interview was very non detailed and it was difficult to judge what was expected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger (Houston, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

I applied to the position through university recruiting in October 2013. The initial screening was made in person at University of California, Berkeley. I got the result one week later to schedule my on site interview in Houston. It was a really nice visit. Company culture was encouraging. Promotion is based on merits and the company lets the employees to choose where they want to work after training period is done. On site interview consists of a presentation on your previous project and 4 behavioral and technical interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosharon, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Schlumberger (Rosharon, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

Took 5 hours and was asked basic technical engineering questions by the Metier. I met at the HR boardroom and was interviewed by 3 or 4 people. It changed throughout the day. I had to give a short presentation.

Interview Questions

• If you had a piston and housing such as this, which way would the piston move with this pressure?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interview

I was a consultant and was offered a position. I have, in a panel, interviewed local prospective mechanical engineers. There were no trick questions from any panel members. Education, experience, tell us about the projects you've worked on or managed. CAD and FEA tools used.

Interview Questions

• HR may ask unexpected questions but engineers typically ask engineering questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. I was a consultant for two years. They knew my value and I knew what they should pay. Others have told me they negotiated one or two salary steps

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger (Houston, TX) in June 2013.

Interview

first the phone interview, then invited to TX to have an on-site interview.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger (Houston, TX) in April 2013.

Interview

They have a two part interview process for new graduate hires. The first part is screening interview either on campus or by phone. For the second part, you are flown out to one of their hiring locations for an all day interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a casing that would enclose our field sensor tools?   Answer Question