Schlumberger Reservoir Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2014

2.5

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in October 2013.

I got an on site interview after campus recruiting part. It was hold in houston SLB SIS building. Everyone is nice and all the costs were paid by them. It's a good experience even though I didn't get the offer. The whole routine was posted through HR's email and very clearly details. Just be yourself and show your best to them!

Other Interview Reviews for Schlumberger

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through other source - interviewed at Schlumberger in June 2013.

I used to work for a company acquired by SIS (Schlumberger Information Solutions) I did't go through any recuitment process, as part of the integration I was transfered from Mexico city to Houston, tx

Reservoir Engineer Interview

The interview is pretty straight forward. Went through my resume and asked some typical behavior questions. Then talked a little bit about my intern experience and area of interest. It took about 45 mins.

Reservoir Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Schlumberger.

about 30 minutes interview, mostly behavioral questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in October 2012.

1st Interview :
    a 30 mns interview on campus .. Very general situational questions quite expected..

2nd Interview .. I 'll have it soon :) I will let you know once I am done :)

Interview Questions
    • You are in a room with 3 switches which correspond to 3 bulbs in another room and you don't know which switch corresponds to which bulb. You can only teleport to the room with the bulbs and back once. You can NOT use any external equipment (power supplies, resistors, etc.). How do you find out which bulb corresponds to which switch?   View Answers (3)

Reservoir Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger.

Two stage-interview was carried out: 1. First is quite simple, several usual HR questions. Some talking in english to check level. 2. Second was full day interview and it was attractive. Introduction, quick test on technical article. Team building game. 3. Phone interview was also after some weeks. I was asked 4-5 questions to check my background.

Interview Questions
    • What is my motivation based on. Guess, my arguments caused some confuse.   Answer Question

Reservoir Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Schlumberger.

Two separate interviews. First one on campus and a second one at one of the regional headquarters. There was an interview panel made up of technical and personnel people.
    All the candidates had to do a technical presentation of work they had done recently. You would then get grilled on what you had spoken about, they would go at you until you crack basically, guess its just to see how you can think on the spot and answer questions under pressure.
    Apart from that it was mostly relaxed and they were friendly.

Reservoir Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in February 2013.

Initial contact was at the University of Calgary Career & Job Fair on Tuesday February 5, 2013. I simply submitted my resume at the booth and talked briefly to recruiter to express my interest in the Field Engineer position. I was reminded to also apply online, both on the U of C website and careers.slb.com.

I received an email about a week later to schedule an interview for Tuesday, February 26 (reading week was in between). It was for the Reservoir/Petroleum Engineer position under Petrotechnical Services. I attended the info session the day before - I would recommend this to anyone in the same position.

The interview itself was unexpected in the way it was conducted. They got right into it with the "dull" questions: do you have the legal right to work in Canada, what's your GPA, full-time position or part-time, etc. Make sure to bring the latest copy of your resume too as that was requested from me.

The actual "interesting" questions were more scenario than behavioural in my opinion, but ultimately accomplish the same thing - they want to know what kind of person you. Here are all the questions I can remember (in no particular order; not the exact wording necessarily)):
    - Tell us about yourself and why you are interested in working for Schlumberger
    - Talk about a time you were in a leadership position and everything was on time, going to plan and so forth, when you unexpectedly found something or had something happen that threw things off course.
    - Tell us about a time you had a 'MacGyver' moment
    - How do you motivate your team and ensure that they are getting the job done?

We also discussed what exactly I was interested in, and it became obvious that my wants and skills were more geared towards the Field Engineer role. He said he would pass on my information, and sure enough I received an email on Friday, March 1 for an interview on Tuesday, March 5 for the Field Engineer position.

So I advise you to know where your interests lie. He asked me to rank the following in order of preference: "Reservoir, Drilling, Production, Petrophysics." Overall, it was a solid interview, but keep a calm and cool face as they love to play mind games. But it's nothing personal haha.

Interview Questions
    • SLB are known for asking a brainteaser. You don't just answer the question - they like you to walk through your logic. It is this that is important, not necessarily getting the answer correct:
      "You are in a room with three switches, and in another room are three lights. You do not know which switch activates which light. Assuming there are no tricks, the wiring is fine, and you begin in the switch room with only a single trip to the light room, how do you know which switch corresponds to which light?"
        View Answer

Worked for Schlumberger? Contribute to the Community!