Schlumberger Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Sep 10, 2014

2.9

36 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Schlumberger in December 2012.

Online CV drop followed by Assessment Centre.
    Assessment centre consisted of 5 min personal presentation followed by questions, team task, maths/physics test and logic test, practical test and interview.

Personal presentation topics are prescribed. I haven't had the inevitable rejection yet but from candidate to candidate, don't bore everyone with wordy powerpoints. They will bring up your weakness, lets hope there's an upside to it.
    Team task is achieving certain physical objectives using office materials & stationery. Time is short, come up with a plan and stick to it. They are probably judging teamwork, communication and common sense.
    Practical test was hard, involves assembling a component - look at any diagrams very carefully.
    In my interview it felt they were trying to figure out which division I might fit into. Read up on the three divisions, I was caught off guard when they started describing a job different to the one I had researched.

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gatwick, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gatwick, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Schlumberger.

Applied online 4 weeks ago and received an email inviting me to attend an assessment day at their office in Gatwick.

Started the day with a brief presentation about the company and were then given the opportunity to ask a Field Engineer a number of questions. Seems like interesting but very demanding work.

Then had to sit 3 tests, the first of which was a relatively straightforward logic test which I think everyone seemed comfortable with. The had to sit two more tests which were unlike anything I have ever done before, and were very difficult having 20 questions and a 15 minute time limit. I guess everyone passed though as no one was asked to leave.

Then had to give our individual presentations, relatively straightforward however I would advise anyone that is applying for this job to make their presentation as interesting as possible and not just fill 5 slides with writing, as it can become a snore fest otherwise.

After this we had lunch. Then had a group exercise in the afternoon which involved building a structure from paper and sellotape that could support the interviewers phone, and the winning group was the one which was tallest. This was surprisingly fun and a nice change from the high pressure morning tests and presentations.

After this had a half hour technical interview, where they basically went through my CV and asked a few engineering based questions. Then a half hour interview with HR in which you had to assemble a valve in under 5 minutes (or try to), and then answer bog standard interview questions (why do you want to work in Oil and Gas etc).

Overall was an enjoyable but slightly exhausting day.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a recent example in which you used logic to solve an engineering problem.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Schlumberger in December 2013.

I was invited to the assessment centre in Aberdeen where a full day event was conducted.
    The day started with 3 psychometric tests, these were unlike others I have seen in the industry where the first was a logic sequence, however in a 3x3 grid with 1 square missing, the 2nd was a circuit like problem where different components altered the shape going through it in terms of size, colour and shape type this was fairly easy, the last test was also component based and fairly logical.
    After a break we worked in a group to make a structure out of paper we could all stand under. We had lunch and then there were pre prepared presentations from all candidates and individual interviews.
    The staff were fairly friendly, however a more holistic approach would have been better rather than telling people to leave after not scoring well in the tests which is quite intimidating.

Interview Questions
    • The psychometric tests were unexpected.   View Answer

Field Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Schlumberger in April 2013.

I met a member of the Schlumberger HR department who was presenting at a college careers event. He accepted my CV and I got an email nearer the end of my course, which was about two months later inviting me for an interview at their "assessment centre".

The assessment centre was a group interview (twelve candidates) which lasted the whole day. Dress code was "smart casual" which pretty much meant suit but no tie. It included a presentation on the company (during which we were questioned on) an aptitude test based on mechanical and technical knowledge, group task where we had to work in teams to build a tower out of paper and sellotape, an individual presentation which was five minutes and a few slides on ourselves and our career goals and finally a one to one interview comprising of pretty standard interview questions.

It appeared that we were assessed throughout the whole day not just during the tasks. I attempted to engage with the other candidates and the assessor shaking their hand, making eye contact and making relaxed chit chat between activities and during lunch.

I commented that I had enjoyed the day and that the group task was particularly interesting as I enjoyed working with my team who were very competent and good to work with. This seemed to go down well with the assessor.

Overall it was a good experience which I enjoyed and learned a lot from.

Interview Questions
    • At the start of the one to one interview I was asked to assemble a valve (within a time limit of a few minutes) based on a technical drawing and a box of components which were presented to me.   View Answers (3)

My two year technical diploma (HND) which was required for this position also qualified me to enter university at year three which I chose to do instead of taking this position.

Positioning Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gatwick, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gatwick, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Schlumberger in March 2011.

Arrived at Schlumberger House in the morning, with another eight candidates, where we were taken into a conference room and introduced to the recruiters. Very relaxed atmosphere, but very professional.

We all gave a powerpoint presentations about ourselves, the contents of which was e-mailed to us a couple of weeks before. After the presentation, the recruiters would ask questions in front of everyone. The presentation is about yourself so as long as you are totally honest, the answers won't be a problem.

We then had a maths test, mechanical test and IQ test. This is quite tricky, so my advice is get your heads in the books and remember the basics (area's, surface area's, pythagorus etc etc ). Plenty of books and websites out there on IQ tests.

Now for the fun part.....The group test. We were split into three groups and were given a task to build something in a given time using masking tape scissors and paper. Its good fun and is to see how you react in group. You are being watched! Enjoy it though.

We then had lunch which was a good chance to mingle with the other candidates and speak to the recruiters and find out about what the job entails and their experiences.

The afternoon brought the interview. Very relaxed, and very professional. 4 recruiters ask you questions to find out a bit about your background, what you see yourself doing in the company etc etc. Be yourself and relax.

After the interview I was free to leave and was told I would be informed with a positive or negative result within 3 weeks.

After 3 weeks I received an e-mail offering me the position of Positioning Specialist - International Communter.

The company will pay for your travel, hotel and feed you too !!!!

All in all a very enjoyable experience.

Interview Questions
    • I see you have an electronics and IT background. How would you feel if the company placed you in a mechanical/hydraulics position?   View Answer
    NO NEGOTIATION - Don't even mention money !!!!!

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Schlumberger in January 2010.

It was a tough environment. Most candidates were brilliant and the time was tight. I just barely had enough time to complete my task and followed with a 20mins presentation.

Interview Questions
    • If you were a manager and the vendor put the operation in danger, how would you deal with it?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Schlumberger.

Three Interviews. Two Written Tests. One Practical Test. Interview based on Merit. Aim is to see if you fit SLB Profile. Also Recruiter does nopt want candidates who will fail First Training School. They are rated based on success/failure of their Recruits. Answer truthfully. Be pro-active. Recruiter is really not intererested in if your answers are correct or not. He/She is interested in your thought process and also your ability to work in a team environment.

Interview Questions
    • You are given few random pages of Manual of a Wireline Loggong tool. You are then asked random questions about this very unfamiliar tool. Again, your thought process is most critical here. Your approach to getting answers is the key.   Answer Question
    There was no salary negotiation. It was take it or leave it.

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in July 2013.

Got offered an assessment center a week after applying, was a full day in Aberdeen. right from the start was the toughest interview i've ever had! we waited in the canteen at the start of the day then were lead into a room and with no introductions or anything were told there's 3 different logic tests on the table, we have one hour and anyone who gets under 70% their day is over. so a pretty stressful start.
    4 of the 12 failed the test and after that things were a bit more relaxed with a long talk about how the industry works and where Schlumberger fits into this. next we had to give a 5 minute presentation about ourselves which was all fairly straight forward. after lunch there was a group exercise where we had to build a structure for 3 people to fit under out of 25 sheets of paper and some selotape. my team built a Teepee which was the best one.
    finally there was a practical test where we had to assemble a valve and the interview. the interview was very standard compitency questions however the women asking the questions seemed very disinterested and not impressed by my answers which knocked my confidence a bit and my interview only lasted 10 minutes compared to 30 for everyone else. i think this was because i was the last person and we had allready ran over time. i thought the day went terribly and wasnt expecting anything to come but 3 weeks later i got an offer!

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of when you've been shouted at or told off by a customer or coworker who wasnt happy with your work   View Answer
    No negotiation

Geophysicist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in May 2013.

SLB Assessment Center. Overall the day was very well structured. The schedule was sent some days before. First they introduced SLB and the manager gave a brief explanation of the job. Second we made individual presentation in front of other candidates and HR and technical staff. After lunch individual interviews took place.
    The ambiance was great since the first contact. Everybody was friendly and they answered all of my questions.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in July 2009.

Standard as other corporate companies

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation, it was the matter of take it or leave it

Worked for Schlumberger? Contribute to the Community!