Schlumberger

Relevance Date Difficulty

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer
Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Schlumberger in February 2013.

Interview Details – Consisted of two tests, one of which was logic and the other was problem solving, weren't too hard to be honest.

Then had a presentation from them which seemed like they were trying to convince us not to work for them, saying we would have very little social life for first two years, might have to work in terrible conditions and its a 4/5 year course but would most likely take 6 apparently??

Then had a group task, had to construct a tower out of paper to hold a bottle of juice, good fun. Followed then by 5 minute presentation on ourselves we had prepared with questions, all questions on the presentation, nothing tricky what so ever, just be honest.

Finally had to construct a valve with a set time limit, which was tricky but I think everyone managed it.

Honestly wasn't the best interview, had several others, all of which seemed better planned prepared and actually made me want to work for their company.

Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in March 2013.

Interview Details – After submitting CV online was invited for interview after 8 weeks. The interview was not so difficult. The questions asked are mostly on CV. To my fortune, there was any behaviour questions. After interview I was invited to assessment center.

Interview Question – The way to determine rock porosity.   Answer Question

Geophysicist Interview

Geophysicist

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in May 2013.

Interview Details – SLB Assessment Center. Overall the day was very well structured. The schedule was sent some days before. First they introduced SLB and the manager gave a brief explanation of the job. Second we made individual presentation in front of other candidates and HR and technical staff. After lunch individual interviews took place.
The ambiance was great since the first contact. Everybody was friendly and they answered all of my questions.

Interview Question – Geological questions   View Answer

Maintenance Technician Interview

Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5+ months - interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview Details – The interview process was poorly structured and the day was ended abruptly with very poor communication between recruiters and interviewees.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Schlumberger?   Answer Question

Student Intern- Health & Safety Chemicals Interview

Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in April 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through their website and uploaded my CV for the research part. About 4 months later I got an email asking whether I would want to be considered for this placement and accepted. Then I had a telephone interview with the HSE manager which was fine because I had prepared basic questions. Ones I got asked were: Tell me about yourself, Name an interesting fact about yourself, Any hobbies, Where you see yourself in five years time?, Leadership example, What do you know about Schlumberger?, Why do you want to work here?. Overall the phone interview was easy and after that I did not need another interview so received an acceptance email.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness? I always find this question hardest to answer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, had just over a week to sign the form and email it back

Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in February 2012.

Interview Details – Send applicaiton on-line. Received email a few weeks later inviting me to an assessment centre involving: exams, presentation, team exercise and individual interview.

Interview Question – Why does the oil industry need you?   Answer Question

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

Gatwick, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in December 2012.

Interview Details – Initially an assessment centre followed by an individual interview in the office which you'd be working in.
  The assessment centre was a joke. The format was an IQ test, individual presentation, group task and then individual interview.
  I arrived 10 minutes early to be prepared, a woman arrived 15 minutes late told us to follow her (didn't bother introducing herself). We were then sat in a room and asked to do an IQ test (apparently 4 years at University isn't a measure of intelligence). The next task was a pre-arranged presentation on ourselves, the recruiter wasn't even paying attention, which was made worse by the questions session when she quickly glanced at my CV saw the first thing on there asked me about it when I'd already explained that in the presentation.
  The next part of the day was the group task, whilst I realise that usually they are looking at how we work as a team when building a paper tower, when you notice that they're just checking their emails it's somewhat disheartening. The final interview involved putting together a piece of kit, the instructions are included I didn't realise. Despite this car-crash of a day I got a second interview.
  The second part is where a bit of context may be useful; the job is advertised as an offshore job, not entirely my cup of tea but beggars can't be choosers. I arrived in some hole of an industrial estate outside Aberdeen the guy I was due to meet was friendly and the team were welcoming enough. But when I tole him that I thought the job was offshore he looked at me incredulously and told me that they'd struggle to send people offshore. Bizarre.

Interview Question – Putting together the piece of kit, make sure you find the instructions!!   Answer Question

Interviewed at Schlumberger

Interview Details – Relatively tame assessment day, only 7 candidates.

Morning had some logic and reasoning tests followed by a group exercise.

Afternoon had a presentation on yourself and a brief one on one interview; nothing too challenging asked but they seemed keen to know if you have practical experience. Followed by a 5 minute technical task assembling a simple a valve.

Interview Question – Everything was straightforward.   Answer Question

Industrial Placement Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Schlumberger in February 2013.

Interview Details – Sent off written application. Heard back days before apologising for short notice, and asking if I could come to interview. There was one admin interviewing about 6 of us, throughout the day. In the meantime, candidates were asked to sit in a room, complete some tests, or, having completed those tests, just sit and wait for their turn.

Didn't get the job, but on asking for feedback, got told that I "performed well in both the interview and tests". They just didn't think I'd like to work for them.

Interview Question – Competency questions - nothing particularly challenging.   Answer Question

Senior Geophysicist Interview

Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Schlumberger in January 2009.

Interview Details – start with an introduction of schlumberger by HR, following by 1 to 1 interview by the hiring manager. then give an technique presentation to the whole site. have lunch with other employee. in the afternoon, five 1 to 1 interview, including the head of the department, the head of the site.

Interview Question – no difficult question being asked   View Answer