Schlumberger

Getting the Interview

4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Conway, AR

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in April 2012.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview. Second interview in Arkansas where they get to know your personality through various team and individual exercises and even match you up with a specific service line by the end. Sometimes give you options as to your final location.

Interview Question – Not many difficult questions. Have to give a presentation on a service line (basic and standard info off their site).   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Only negotiation was as to where I would be assigned. Everyone starts at same base salary out of college.

Wireline Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Schlumberger in February 2012.

Interview Details – Applied for the Field Engineer position through my university. I was contacted and asked to do a one-on-one interview in my school's career centre where I met with the recruiter. It was very casual. The interviewer walked me through my resume, asked about my extracurriculars and interests. She had me do a puzzle (you have five sticks: 1", 2", 3", 4", and 5". How many triangles can you make?).

I was called back for a second interview where I was flown to the Calgary office for two days. We were all given a SLB topic and told to make a short powerpoint on it. The first evening eleven of us sat in a conference room and did team bonding exercises and ice-breakers, then listened to a million power points on benefits/job segments and stuff, and then presented our own powerpoint on a segment. The three interviewers grilled us. The purpose was to see how we reacted under pressure, and to see how much research we had done.

The next day we drove to a cased-hole wireline base and a frac-base to see what the field shops looked like. We were able to talk to some field employees about the jobs. On the drive back, we filled in a questionnaire detailing which segment we were interested in working for, location preferences, and provided feedback on the interview process. Once back in Calgary, we did final interviews with various managers at the head office, and then they took us out for dinner.

Since I had told the recruiter I had other offers, she let me know within two days that they were extending me an offer. I was offered a position in my segment of choice.

Interview Question – You have five sticks: 1", 2", 3", 4", and 5". How many triangles can you make?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate the salary. SLB has a rigid program for new Field Engineer hires so salary is nonnegotiable.

Warsaw (Poland)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview Details – The recruiter behaves really in a professional manner during the interview. In general he is really official, and questions with he/she gives are not that typical for ex. what was the most difficult experience in your life which you had to struggle with and stuff like that. Recruiter pays attention to everything even if you think he/she's not looking or listening to you, believe, he/she is!
First of all the interview starts with an IQ, Math, Physics, Electric and Mechanical test. All of them take like up to 5 hours. After the results you can come for f2f interview if you were good enough. Most often you have to assembly some mechanical part having some scheme in front (it's not named) and you're being asked multiple questions, they want to distract you and check the multitasking ability.Then there is some presentations about yourself, some weak and strong aspects and short description (prepare a good and simple one!) Then there is time fot team work. Most often you have to build something from paper, like an arch for example. There is only duck tape and paper :) limited number!
Then you have to wait for the decision and offer!

Interview Question – There wasn't anything particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in August 2008.

Interview Details – Communication skills, group activity and one on one interview. If you are short listed then you might be interviewed by segment operations manager.

They are looking for freshgrads mostly who would dedicate their first 3-8 years fulltime for the company. Positive attitude is a key factor. The recruiter would ask you to list 3-5 segments in which you are interested and they he would select the one he thinks which match your personality. Females secure the best segments mostly since the company is keen about increasing their ratio in the field and they would try hard to keep them. People with families must forget about their personal/family time as it does not exist in the first 8 years (more maybe).

Interview Question – Why do you choose SLB?
Why should we hire you?
Where do you think you will be in 5 years?
Can you commit your time to duty?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they have fixed salaries (grade system) and you cant negotiate your assignment location

Interviews for Top Jobs at Schlumberger

Worked for Schlumberger? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Schlumberger Wireline Field Engineer interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Schlumberger employees and interview candidates.