Schneider Electric Interview Questions

Updated Sep 28, 2014
Updated Sep 28, 2014

2.9

Entry Level Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Schneider Electric in February 2014.

It was an on-campus interview. Very relaxed, more like a conversation about the different opportunities they had than an intense interview. They were pretty blunt with choosing a location preference and asking for a preferred salary. Since it was entry level I was a little flustered. Overall very easy. No technical questions and I learned a lot about my options with the company.

Sales Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Schneider Electric.

Attended two interviews on campus. First interview asked general questions, such as what are your future career goals, while the second interview was more tailored to explaining my previous work experience and resume.

Business Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  UCI, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in UCI, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Schneider Electric in February 2014.

On campus interview first round

General Interview/Providence, RI Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Schneider Electric.

One of the ways Schneider Electric recruits now is by not telling you which position you are applying for but rather if you are a fit for the company. This process is convoluted and drawn out, to the point you understand why other major companies do not do this - because it does not work. Before you arrive to the interview location for the final round, you do not have an exact position to prepare for which makes planing your answers for questions difficult. They claim that this is done so they can see what your passions truly are, but honestly if this is not true as the end position they offer you has nothing to do with your passions. Given the fact that the interviewer just takes notes for the end HR manager this really is just a subjective waste of time for both you and the interviewer. You go into the interview with the possibility of getting being "best placed" for 20 - 30 different positions form the recruitment sheet they provide. The company interviewed several hundred people over an interview week (1,500) for about (400) positions over half of them are call center phone jobs, but they won't tell you that up front.

Walking into the actual interview part, you are sent with your group of about 30 candidates into a ballroom to interview at a table with two interviewers. Each candidate has their own table with two interviewers. The questions are not very extensive, simple stuff like what do you want to do and where do you see yourself, but the overall trend is that your interviewers have a sales background and most likely are hoping you have some interest in sales. The interviewers do not ask you questions about a specific position, just feel out what your ideal position would be and take notes in a computer for the end HR person to decide if you are a fit for the company. After your group ends, another group of 30 come in and this continues several dozen times in the week.

Where the process goes wrong is in the wait and communication of the HR/recruiter email point of contact. The HR contact barely ever emails you back in time and nearly delays every deadline they told you that you would be informed. They told us we would know in two weeks on a decision, then they needed an extra week, then they still hadn't decided so they just need more time "in general". After this the HR contact disappeared for 2 weeks with no contact, I had to reach out to them to only be told they did not have a proper timeline. This dragged the process out for another week. The HR person also always had an automated response email claiming they are "Out of the office, with extremely limited access to email"; I'm sorry, but if your email always has this response over a two month period, you need to get back to work. There's nowhere anymore that doesn't have wifi where you can't check email and get back within a 48 hour window. This is just unprofessional and embarrassing for Schneider Electric.

Additionally, it took the company a long time to make their decision because the process was so poor and subjective. Put yourself in their shoes: they interview 1500 candidates and tell them they can have whatever position they want. These candidates are interviewed by maybe 80 different interviewers, who switch over the week, and are not around with the HR in their end decision making period. The interviewers take notes into a computer for the HR head to read over when decided to place applicants for the 400 positions available. While the interviewers can sift out who is not good for the company, for candidates they recommend this process gets difficult as the HR manager has to compare notes on good applicants. Example being: 80 good engineers recommended for a position that they suggested in an interview may only has 2 vacancies (as most did) and thus they have to be considered for the position with the majority of vacancies: sales. The process now becomes highly subjective, as the HR manager has not interviewed any of the candidates but has to make a decision based off of the interviewers notes, all which vary extensively. Because there are not many positions outside of the the majority of sales, the HR manager tries to funnel most of the applicants into the sales call center jobs in hope that they will just take what ever job the company gives you. Due to the extensive length of this process, it took them about a month and two weeks until they offered this position. Although in my interview I had told them specifically the positions I was passionate about and that I did not want a sales position they came back to offer me a sales position. The whole process of them claiming to find the best job for you is a ruse; they just want people for call center sales. Engineers, business, biology, and environmental science majors beware.

Interview Questions
    • Not really any difficult questions. How would you sell this pen on the table? What is your ideal position in the company? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

The position offered is nothing like what you were told you could interview for. It was a position I specifically told them I did not want. Plus Paid Time Off is low.

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Schneider Electric.

Was given a campus interview after career fair. Very easy interesting, conversional type. Then they came to our school and gave me a final round interview at the University. They told us about who they were and why we should work for them. Final round interviews were more or less the same as the first round, no technical questions just basic HR questions.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult very standard questions.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Schneider Electric.

The interview was straight-forward. The hiring manager was laid back, but professional. The entire process, from initial application to actual interview and subsequent job offer took about 1 month.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions. I discussed my experience, education, and future goals with the hiring manager.   Answer Question
    I negotiated directly with the hiring manager prior to receiving a written offer.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Schneider Electric in January 2014.

Background interview then a second more in depth and personal interview. Both the interviews with HR and my Current manager went very well. I was still in school when they hired me, so I came on as a telecommuter. Drug test prior to hiring

Warehouse Interview

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Schneider Electric.

Entirely too long interview process (6+weeks) for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Not really anything that difficult just takes a long time.   Answer Question

Operational Rotational Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Schneider Electric.

Initial interview was conducted on campus. Final interview was conducted at a hotel near Schneider Electric location. Initial interview was one on one while final interview was a panel interview. They covered all expenses for the final interview. Only downside to the whole experience is they took much longer than they said to let me know if I was selected or not.

Interview Questions
    • What would I do differently if I had an opportunity to go back and deal with the given situation again?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Schneider Electric.

They took us to dinner, the next day they had a bunch of sessions you had to attend and one of those sessions was the interview with 3 other Schneider electric employees. They did not ask any technical questions just wanted to see your personality I guess.

Interview Questions
    • Just asking about your past experience and the things you've learned   Answer Question