Schneider

Very Difficult Interview

Truck Driver - Regional Dry Van Interview

Truck Driver - Regional Dry Van
Green Bay, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Schneider in August 2011.

Interview Details – Went to HG to talk to recruiter, then had to apply online at home. Phone interveiw and setup for Drug Test ( urine and hair folicle) and DOT Phyisical (waived due to having it done just 2 months prior). Called back with Test ID numbers and was emailed the next avaible orientation dates, time, hotel information.

Go to Green Bay, WI and stay at hotel (Ramada Plaza) which had horrid Key Cards that require at least 1 recharge per day. Consiere service driver drives the van like he's a stunt car driver (AVOID HOTEL TRANSPORT). Room is free for 1 week orientation time; must be able to wake up by 6am to get on Schneider's Bus which is driven by the training teacher.

1 Week training in classroom and Road. They will expect you to do old school trip planning even though they use the Qualcom system which has a GPS. The lunch provided at the training building is mediocore, but better than the rationed breakfast they serve at the hotel at 5:00am.

After 1 week Oreintation, they will tell you who your road trainer will be, or if one hasn't been found.. call you with their name. Recruiter told me you get a week off after the week orientation before going road training. My trainer called me the same day wanted me out in Janesville, WI to meet him Sunday night at 10pm.

You'll be expected to skip up to 3 gears when accellerating or decellerating as your driving; My trainer has the Qualcom GPS and his own (non-truck) GPS in the truck which made directions confusing for me. You'll drive up too 500 miles radius from where you where picked up and be the runner for the trainer to open doors, strap loads, and interact with the customers. You'll have to bring money for your own meals and other monetary items. My trainer only ate at resturants on the road. Bring a pillow for sleeping ( I didn't and used my backpack i brought with my things as a pillow). They'll expect you to bring everything (and it's ALOT) from the Green Bay facility with you.

Total you could spent back to back up to 4 weeks away from home training. You only get 450$ per week during training from the 1 week at Green Bay, WI til your hired on. You can only be hired on if the training driver okay's you for road service.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – I was accepted thru training up to the final day of my week training on the road. But I couldn't get the hang of the "bump n run" shifting ( the required Schneider Shifting method of skipping 3 or more gears as you down or up shift). The training driver agreed and after a talk with the Driver Support Manager, I was told either I could stay in the truck another week with the trainer, go back to Green Bay, WI, or opt out for now.

I chose to opt out because I didn't have the money to stay another week, nor to go back to Green Bay, WI for another week. The shifting style they use is very demanding and how they teach it adds alot of stress and confusion to your already full plate while operating the truck. Most of the time I was told to watch the mph... then the tachometer. Shortly after I was told not to and to just listen to what the truck sounds like. All very counter-intuitive from what I learned in my driving course in Sun Prairie, WI.

They are a great company to go to if your fully versed in their shifting techniques or are very good at multitasking while driving. You may also have a good time at training, They require roomates in the hotel rooms; so you might get a nice roommate ( i didn't...) and both laugh at the instructor who sounds like arnold shwartzaneger.

Very Difficult Interview

Inside Sales Account Executive Interview

Inside Sales Account Executive

Interviewed at Schneider

Interview Details – I sent my application in and got called for a phone interview and was asked back for a personal interview. The personal interview was a panel interview with 2 guys and myself which made it kind of intimidating. They went back and forth asking questions and taking notes and the questions were very difficult, all behavior based.

Interview Question – Ethical question   Answer Question

Logistics Analyst Interview

Logistics Analyst
Green Bay, WI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Schneider in October 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview wasn't bad and I was offered the chance for a face-to-face interview right away. The next interview was with a panel. The panel consisted of other experienced employees that work in the same or similar role (You do not know this right away but you can tell by some of the questions that they ask and the responses that they give). One nice thing about their interview process is that they allow you to do a 30 min sit-in with an employee that is currently in the role that you are applying for (If your interview went well). I thought this was an extremely bright idea because it gives the interviewer the opportunity to see what the role is about first hand.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time where you had a discrepancy between you and another employee? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not really much room for negotiation unless you know that they need to fill the role quickly. Decent positions are usually promoted from within so if you have the opportunity to receive an offer your almost forced to take it because management knows that there is someone else that is more than willing to take the position/offer for the same or usually even less.

Logistics Account Manager Interview

Logistics Account Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Schneider in May 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and about 30 days later received a call from a recruiting company representative hired by Schneider. The women spent about 20 minutes on the phone with me asking prewritten questions. She did not and could not offer any information about the job and referred me to their ambiguous job description I had previously viewed online. Then about a week and a half later she called and did not realize she had already spoken with me and tried to have the exact same conversation again. When I asked if this was a second phone interview she replied "No, did I already talk with you?" She then hung up. About a week later she called to schedule an off-site in person interview with a Schneider executive and one of their clients. I traveled out of state for this and had prepared for days ahead of time.

The interview was with both the executive and client. The interview seemed surly and left me uninformed and frustrated. They did not offer any information about the job or their companies and simply referred me to the ambiguous job description.Their questions were incomplete making them difficult to answer, and their answers to the few questions I was allowed to ask, were evasive. When I kindly asked them to clarify or rephrase their questions, they would simply ask it in identical fashion.

The interview lasted over an hour and it wasn't until the last 5 or 10 minutes that I was given the opportunity to ask questions pertaining to the position. They were unable to tell me what a typical day in the position would be like and there was very little discussion about details and what was actually involved in the job itself.
Neither individual was friendly and did not so much as crack a smile or grin throughout the interview, which did nothing to put myself (or I imagine any other candidates) at ease. The office and culture where the interview took place seemed very professional to the point of being rigid and totally inflexible.

I wore a suit. Dress appeared to be business casual to more formal throughout the building, but the people doing the interview were dressed down. They seemed to have a real arrogence about them and gave me a sense from when I first entered the room, they felt they were wasting their time interviewing.

In my opinion, this entire process was poorly handled and unprofessional. The phone screening was inept. They should have had their own internal HR people conduct the phone screening and initial interviews with their executive present and narrowed their candidate pool to about the top five. At that point they should have scheduled a second interview at the off-site location with their client present. Companies and HR people need to remember that they too are being interviewed by the candidates and it's equally important that they appear in a good light, otherwise those well-qualified individuals they seek to hire will be declining their offers regardless of the current state of the labor market and economy.

I was knowledgeable about the firm prior before ever applying online. I respected the company and their accomplishments and had a positive viewpoint of them. After going through this event I no longer feel the same way. I'm dissappointed with their lack of professionalism and the attitude they displayed and my viewpoint is no longer positive. Although I was not offered the position, I can honestly say if it had been offered I would have declined.

Interview Question – What metrics would you use?
How would you identify and report on key factors?
  View Answer

Truck Driver Interview

Truck Driver
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Schneider in May 2012.

Interview Details – Complete background check of employers, any accidents or incidents, DAC (HireRight) check and PSP. Drug test includes hair check.

Interview Question – Review of application and confirmation of it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No. Pay is comparable to job required.

Lead Member Technical Services Interview

Lead Member Technical Services

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Schneider.

Interview Details – Hiring process was started by a headhunter, who secured the initial phone interview with the individual who I didn't know was to be my leader as well as another leader with technical skills. The pair approached the initial phone interview in a soft skill question then technical skill question and back process. The duo kept up the cadence for 20 or so minutes before the technical interviewer went into a quick staccato barrage of probing questions about my technical expertise in several different technologies. I am of the belief that the change in rhythm was to throw off an interviewee and see how well the person responds in a fast-pace and stressful environment.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was a soft skills question. "What is your greatest failure, and what did you learn from it?" or some variant thereof. Get used to it, this question will come up for all internal advancement opportunities as well, must be part of the leader manual.

This came after the usual "Tell us about yourself, etc" passage, and was a bit of a mental disjoint with how the question was inserted into the interview.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation phase was very limited, the hiring manager will have a fairly firm number in mind before they get to this phase.

I would recommend doing research ahead of time on what your potential role usually commands for salary and work the process accordingly.

Maintenance Leader Interview

Maintenance Leader
Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person and interviewed at Schneider.

Interview Details – Start out with a phone interview with HR, if you get past that they will set up interviews with 2 to 3 leaders and this can be locally or at the home office.
Interviews are very thorough and they look for qualifications as well as fit.
All interviews are then evaluated by the leadership team until a consensus is reached.
You will then either receive a job offer or be rejected.
Offer will be in writing and detailed.

Interview Question – Mine was role play with the HR manager but that may not be done anymore.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation takes place there are set standards. if you are a exceptional candidate you may can try to make a counter offer but you may also loose the oppertunity

Supply Chain Specialist Interview

Supply Chain Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Schneider in June 2009.

Interview Details – One phone interview then one panel style face to face interview

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you overcame a problem?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for a certain amount and was able to get it.

Parts Specialist Interview

Parts Specialist
Farmington Hills, MI

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Schneider in July 2010.

Interview Details – Panel Interview with at least 3 to 4 people, scenario role play, that includes scenarios not related to position, time management tests. Interviewing can take all day and is rather stressful.

Interview Question – Give an example(s) of sometime in your work history where you displayed traits and characteristics that fit into the Schnedier core values   Answer Question

Recruiting Manager Interview

Recruiting Manager
Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Schneider in July 2010.

Interview Details – It was first a phone interview, 2 weeks later a phone call to schedule an interview, 2 days later went for a 2 hour and 15 minute interview. 1st was another phone interview with someone a headquarters, 2nd was with the GM and the last was with the OM at the facility.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Schneider

Worked for Schneider? Contribute to the Community!

Schneider Videos

Schneider – Why Work for Us?

Schneider delivers. Schneider hauls freight and lots of it. In fact, our drivers move nearly 11,000 loads each day. We carry merchandise and materials for two-thirds of the Fortune 500 companies — meaning we have a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Schneider interview questions and advice. All 56 interview reviews posted anonymously by Schneider employees and interview candidates.