Scholastic Book Fairs Interview Questions & Reviews

2.6

Part Time Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Scholastic Book Fairs in August 2013.

Referred into vacancy by a good friend who works for SBF. Based on the referral, and before my application was submitted, HR contacted me to conduct a 30 minute pre-interview. HR interview was followed by an hour long 1:1 interview with "hiring manager." Hiring manager asked a half dozen illegal/ inappropriate interview questions (how many children, how old, tell me your child care arrangements for this position.) Hiring manager was unable to answer my question as to whether I would be eligible to participate in 401(k). Eligibility to participate in 401(k) may have swayed me to take a much lower salary than I desired. Hiring manager concluded the interview by saying that she would have to consult with her manager to determine whether they would give me an offer. Ultimately, I gave the hiring manager a "thanks, but no thanks."

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fenton, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fenton, MO

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Scholastic Book Fairs.

I interviewed with the Sales Manager, Sales Supervisor, and also the HR manager.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations; everyone starts out at the same rate, unless you are a sales trainee.

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kennesaw, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Scholastic Book Fairs.

Applied for position online through a job posting. Received a screening call from Book Fair Headquarters in Lake Mary Florida. Invited for first in-person interview with hiring Sales Manager, then the General Manager for Sales and Operations. Last interview was with the Human Resources Manager. Also, phone interview with a Sales Consultant.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a lot of questions about how I handled difficult situations. The questions were repeated, but with a change-up in the wording.   Answer Question

Book Fair Consultant/Inside Sales Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Scholastic Book Fairs.

Be prepared for at least 4 intense interviews. Have a good understanding of inside sales and be able to do multiple tasks at the same time really well. Ask about training process-there is A LOT to learn.

Interview Questions
    If have a lot of sales experience negotiate hourly wage. Expect $35+K first year if work hard.

Product Coordinator Interview

Tell me about your last job

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sanford, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sanford, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Scholastic Book Fairs in December 2009.

Went through 2 in person visits and then was hired on the spot. Met with my direct line Manager and the VP of our department.

Verbal negotiation with Direct Line Manager. I stated that I wanted at least a matching salary to where I was elsewhere. (I was unhappy). Manager agreed and matched and then gave a starting bonus.

Part Time Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Scholastic Book Fairs in September 2012.

Was lied to about the lenght of the job. Was told we would be seasonals and called back during high volumn times then they hired a second shift and let all of us go. Some people change their lives to take these positions. They quit other jobs, losts benefits, moved kids from schools to work with this company.

Interview Questions
    Promising but all lies which was admitted in the end.

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Lake Mary, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Lake Mary, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Scholastic Book Fairs in May 2012.

Was contacted initially by Human Resources for a phone interview. The phone interview was about an hour. The HR rep then set up an interview with the hiring manager, which was also a phone interview. After the second phone interview, the manager set up a third interview in person interview. At the third interview, I met with the hiring manager again as well as the person that would be my direct supervisor.

All the questions were standard interview questions, and regarding things on my resume.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lake Mary, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Mary, FL

I interviewed through other source. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Scholastic Book Fairs.

They used a consultant to screen candidate on the phone to go through the basics, but it was extremely thorough, including detailed conversations with references on the phone that lasted up to an hour. Once you're on to the next stage, they brought me into their office in Lake Mary for an overnight stay, with the next day being pretty full, including interviews with various leaders, and an aptitude test that's designed by a professional psychologist that lasted a couple of hours. A second interview was conducted in the corporate head office in New york that also included an overnight stay. From there, the process slowed down, and it was more than 2 months from the day of offer to first day on the job (due to their annual budget timing). The caveat is that, since this is a number of years back, things might have changed a great deal.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing really out of the ordinary, but the most challenging one was probably one asked by one of the VPs at the time, on how I see myself contributing to the success of the company.   Answer Question
    I had a number in mind that was going to be a sign from God as to whether I should accept. When their offer fell short, I actually declined, and I said why. The HR VP at the time then pointed out that with my bonus, which was guaranteed for the first year, it would take me beyond the figure I had in mind. I accepted.

Product Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cranbury, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cranbury, NJ

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Scholastic Book Fairs in October 2008.

Met with the Branch Manager, filled out a paper application. He then reviewed the application, told me the pay and told me what day to arrive for my first day. Very straight forward, no real interview process. We then proceeded to tour the facility and discuss what the job truly entailed.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations. Salary is the salary.

Worked for Scholastic Book Fairs? Contribute to the Community!