Scholastic Book Fairs

Updated Sep 25, 2014

2.6

Assistant Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Mary, FL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Scholastic Book Fairs in July 2014.

I applied online. I didn't think I would get a call, I'm a recent grad, and don't have much experience, but they called about 2 weeks after I applied. I had a phone interview with the staffing supervisor, and after she asked me to come in for a in person interview. I interviewed with 3 different people, and it went well- they asked the normal questions. After it took about 2 weeks for them to call me back to let me know I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • Are you organized and if so what so of software do you used to stay organized?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fenton, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fenton, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Scholastic Book Fairs.

I interviewed with the Sales Manager, Sales Supervisor, and also the HR manager.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations; everyone starts out at the same rate, unless you are a sales trainee.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kennesaw, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Scholastic Book Fairs.

Applied for position online through a job posting. Received a screening call from Book Fair Headquarters in Lake Mary Florida. Invited for first in-person interview with hiring Sales Manager, then the General Manager for Sales and Operations. Last interview was with the Human Resources Manager. Also, phone interview with a Sales Consultant.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a lot of questions about how I handled difficult situations. The questions were repeated, but with a change-up in the wording.   Answer Question

Part Time Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Scholastic Book Fairs in August 2013.

Referred into vacancy by a good friend who works for SBF. Based on the referral, and before my application was submitted, HR contacted me to conduct a 30 minute pre-interview. HR interview was followed by an hour long 1:1 interview with "hiring manager." Hiring manager asked a half dozen illegal/ inappropriate interview questions (how many children, how old, tell me your child care arrangements for this position.) Hiring manager was unable to answer my question as to whether I would be eligible to participate in 401(k). Eligibility to participate in 401(k) may have swayed me to take a much lower salary than I desired. Hiring manager concluded the interview by saying that she would have to consult with her manager to determine whether they would give me an offer. Ultimately, I gave the hiring manager a "thanks, but no thanks."

Book Fair Consultant/Inside Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Scholastic Book Fairs.

Be prepared for at least 4 intense interviews. Have a good understanding of inside sales and be able to do multiple tasks at the same time really well. Ask about training process-there is A LOT to learn.

Interview Questions
    If have a lot of sales experience negotiate hourly wage. Expect $35+K first year if work hard.

Product Coordinator Interview

Tell me about your last job

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Mary, FL

I applied through other source. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Scholastic Book Fairs.

They used a consultant to screen candidate on the phone to go through the basics, but it was extremely thorough, including detailed conversations with references on the phone that lasted up to an hour. Once you're on to the next stage, they brought me into their office in Lake Mary for an overnight stay, with the next day being pretty full, including interviews with various leaders, and an aptitude test that's designed by a professional psychologist that lasted a couple of hours. A second interview was conducted in the corporate head office in New york that also included an overnight stay. From there, the process slowed down, and it was more than 2 months from the day of offer to first day on the job (due to their annual budget timing). The caveat is that, since this is a number of years back, things might have changed a great deal.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing really out of the ordinary, but the most challenging one was probably one asked by one of the VPs at the time, on how I see myself contributing to the success of the company.   Answer Question
    I had a number in mind that was going to be a sign from God as to whether I should accept. When their offer fell short, I actually declined, and I said why. The HR VP at the time then pointed out that with my bonus, which was guaranteed for the first year, it would take me beyond the figure I had in mind. I accepted.

Part Time Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Scholastic Book Fairs in September 2012.

Was lied to about the lenght of the job. Was told we would be seasonals and called back during high volumn times then they hired a second shift and let all of us go. Some people change their lives to take these positions. They quit other jobs, losts benefits, moved kids from schools to work with this company.

Interview Questions
    Promising but all lies which was admitted in the end.

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Mary, FL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Scholastic Book Fairs in May 2012.

Was contacted initially by Human Resources for a phone interview. The phone interview was about an hour. The HR rep then set up an interview with the hiring manager, which was also a phone interview. After the second phone interview, the manager set up a third interview in person interview. At the third interview, I met with the hiring manager again as well as the person that would be my direct supervisor.

All the questions were standard interview questions, and regarding things on my resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Waco, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waco, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Scholastic Book Fairs in June 2011.

They asked about a lot of "what would you do in this instance" questions. Basically, you will be calling on places to hold book fairs. I interviewed during the summer, and the office was VERY casual! Flip Flops, tshirts and hats. They said all that stops when school starts back and they have to go professional. Asked about sales experience, how I reached my goals, how I stayed organizied

Interview Questions
    • When the end of the month comes and you are short on sales, what do you do to try and make them?   Answer Question

Worked for Scholastic Book Fairs? Contribute to the Community!