Scholastic

Updated Dec 11, 2014
Updated Dec 11, 2014

2.4

Graphic Designer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Scholastic.

The first step was a brief phone interview with an HR employee. Questions focused on my work experience, goals, and strengths and the process was smooth and stress-free. At the end of this interview, I was invited for an in-person meeting (out-of-state with reimbursement for travel expenses), but was told the next day that another phone interview was required first.

I went into the next interview wrongly believing I'd made it to the second round and was a semi-serious candidate, but was met with a Creative Director who expressed doubt in my abilities during the very first sentence. He seemed to not have read my cover letter or resume and never gave me the opportunity to describe my work history or genuine enthusiasm for the company and position. He also assumed I was unfamiliar with industry standard software, the company I was interviewing with, designing for different audiences, and so on. I was caught off-guard by the constant negative phrasing—neutral questions like "What's your familiarity with this...?" would have been advisable over "It seems like you're not able to do this...", although there may have been no saving an interview with someone with such a clear lack of interest in hiring me.

I didn't expect to advance any further, and a few days later was sent a rejection email echoing the Creative Director's opening statement of doubt in my skills and even my chosen career path. A ridiculous experience overall—clearly some internal communication and people skills were lacking in this process.

Manufacturing Planner Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Scholastic.

Went through a temp agency and it was all very easy and quick. Interviewed and got offered the job on the same day which I happily accepted. Interview was all behavioral and straight forward.

Sales Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Scholastic.

I saw add in the newspaper, called set up interview for following week. Meeting went well, very casual, I was hired that day by the same person. After she hired me she took me around the office and I realized it was a call center. I almost told her I could not take the job, it was awful. I had never worked in that type of environment. The desks were so small you sat 2 feet apart, if that. I really needed the job. Also my salary was my ending salary. I was started out much lower. Because I always made over quota I was given good raises.

There was no negotiation they gave you the rate and did say there was commission but did not say what that commission was. She was unsure.

Online Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Scholastic.

Terrible experience. Recruiter was extremely unorganized. After a phone interview, I was asked for my availability. Did not hear back for 1 week. Then they sent the confirmation of an on-site interview + the long job application I must bring to the interview a day before at 6:30pm! I had to work very hard to meet their interview request. Then the 2nd on-site interview was canceled at last minute. Did not hear again for over a week. At the end, HR sent me the wrong email message to me discussing someone else's interview feedback.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers were all nice. But they advertise their positions as "full-time", but these are actually 2 year contract. There was no way to know this fact from their careers site. And HR did not tell me at phone screening. Was surprised to find it out at the on-site interview.   Answer Question

Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Scholastic.

I got a call from HR to interview. Then I came back a second time to meet with two Directors. They asked me basic questions about academic background, experience, and what kind of job or career I am looking for. I wrote a thank you letter and then got a call to be hired about two weeks later.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation was available as this was an entry level position.

Implementation Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Scholastic.

Great interview. Nice people, very professional.

Interview Questions
    • I did not find any of the questions asked at the interview to be difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Scholastic.

Because of my classroom experience with their products, the interview was very short and to the point.

Digital Production Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Scholastic.

I've never had a more unprofessional interview in my life. The HR person stood me up on three consecutive phone interviews. After the phone interview, I eventually met with the actual hiring manager. The hiring manager spent most of the interview bad-mouthing current employees, previous employees, and had no clue about the position I was applying for. It was so unprofessional that I told the hiring manager I wasn't interested before the interview ended.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Scholastic.

I sent in my application and received an email a few days later with a proofreading test which I then had to complete and send back. Maybe a week went by and then I got a call to schedule an interview, and then a week after that got the job offer. It was a fairly easy and straight-forward process.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions, but a few were rather random, such as "What was the last app you downloaded on your phone?"   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Scholastic.

HR interview, then hiring manager plus 3 peers. Mostly review of resume, not much off topic.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I had any issues working at an organization that was predominantly women.   View Answer
    Asked for extra vacation - denied.
    Asked for details about bonus - denied
    Asked for 3000 more and was granted