Scholastic Interview Questions in New York, NY

Updated Aug 18, 2015

2.8

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Scholastic (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process included meetings with many decision makers across multiple departments. Know your stuff, and dress and act professionally. Intelligence is a key feature that all candidates need when applying here.

Interview Questions

• Know the products you are interviewing about.   1 Answer

Negotiation

You could negotiate if you have the experience, knowledge, and talent.

Junior Generalist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Scholastic (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Roughly a 30-45 minute phone call. Covered the basics of the role, as well as my previous experience in the field. The call was scheduled and took place on time; the talent acquisition contact did not follow up after the call as mentioned during the call, regardless of whether I would have been moving forward or not.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in a new position? Describe your HR experience with your previous jobs. Do you have experience managing benefits and employee relations.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Scholastic (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview started with a one-on-one with the hiring manager. Next I had a one-on-one with the Human Resources manager. It ended with an offer. All negotiations went through the HR manager and they accepted my initial salary ask.

Online Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Scholastic (New York, NY).

Interview

Terrible experience. Recruiter was extremely unorganized. After a phone interview, I was asked for my availability. Did not hear back for 1 week. Then they sent the confirmation of an on-site interview + the long job application I must bring to the interview a day before at 6:30pm! I had to work very hard to meet their interview request. Then the 2nd on-site interview was canceled at last minute. Did not hear again for over a week. At the end, HR sent me the wrong email message to me discussing someone else's interview feedback.

Interview Questions

• The interviewers were all nice. But they advertise their positions as "full-time", but these are actually 2 year contract. There was no way to know this fact from their careers site. And HR did not tell me at phone screening. Was surprised to find it out at the on-site interview.   Answer Question

Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Scholastic (New York, NY).

Interview

I got a call from HR to interview. Then I came back a second time to meet with two Directors. They asked me basic questions about academic background, experience, and what kind of job or career I am looking for. I wrote a thank you letter and then got a call to be hired about two weeks later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation was available as this was an entry level position.

Senior Java/J2EE Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Scholastic (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

Interview went around for the first 90 minutes with 3 interviewers. I know i didn't do it well and couldn't get the offer for contractor position. The disgusting part is after spending 90 minutes, my next interviewer was with the Manager. He told me to wait in his office for some time and he'll be back in 45 minutes. I thought maybe he has to run for production issues or important meeting. I stepped out to the lobby after waiting for 15 minutes to get some water and was shocked to see that the Manager was having chat with people. He came back after almost 1 hour and spent only 5 minutes talking about my skills and work experience.

Interview Questions

• Mostly were on Java/J2EE technologies.   1 Answer

Senior Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Scholastic (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

After an initial interview with a recruiter, had multiple in-person and phone interviews, moving up the ladder of seniority. The recruiter was new and knew very little about Scholastic. Everyone else I met with was extremely intelligent and pleasant to talk to. Interviews were informal, mostly just a conversation with familiar interview questions thrown in. Everyone brought up that I would need to be prepared for Scholastic's corporate hierarchy and bureaucracy.

Interview Questions

Better offer and opportunity elsewhere

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Scholastic (New York, NY).

Interview

I sent in my application and received an email a few days later with a proofreading test which I then had to complete and send back. Maybe a week went by and then I got a call to schedule an interview, and then a week after that got the job offer. It was a fairly easy and straight-forward process.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any difficult questions, but a few were rather random, such as "What was the last app you downloaded on your phone?"   Answer Question

P/T Sales Associate/Party Host Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Scholastic (New York, NY).

Interview

Online application, group interview, 1-1 interview

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite childhood book and why? How do you handle difficult situations?   Answer Question

Salary $8-$9 no paid vacation or benefits.

Digital Asset Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Scholastic (New York, NY) in December 2012.

Interview

I received a call from a recruiting agency who saw my resume on Monster.com. They asked me some preliminary questions on my qualifications and rate. I sent over a revised resume and got an interview a week later. The first interview was with the main producer of the program, Ben Georgia. He asked about my technical background, previous work experience, and personal background. He then explained what the program was about and why he got involved with it. He mentioned how passionate he was about be able to work on a new educational software program that would help kids do better in school rather than work on a mind-numbing reality television show for VH1. His passion for this project captivated me. I told himI would be equally as passionate because my mother works for the NYC Board of Education and uses Scholastic tooks to help parents assist their kids with test prep and homework. I also mentioned that Scholastic was a big part of my education while growing up and how it would be a dream to be able to work for a company I grew up with. A week later, I got a call for a second interview. I went in the next day and met up with the Senior/Executive Producers of another similar educational program, Beth Strauss and Alex Sherwin. They talked about the more technical aspects of the project and wanted to make sure I was capable of structuring the internal digital process of the asset management. I explained to them how my previous job had made me qualified and experienced with managing and structuring file databases and metadata. They overall seemed pleasant and east to speak to. You can tell that everyone who works there cares deeply about the projects they are working on. A week went by and then I was asked for my references, which I promptly delivered. The next day, I was offered the job and I gladly accepted. I filled out my W2 and tax information with the recruiting company and started working at Scholastic at the start of the new year.

Interview Questions

• What was the biggest mistake you made in the workplace and how did you fix it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The recruiter and I worked out an hourly rate before the interview process. I was offered one dollar more an hour than my requested hourly rate upon being hired.