Scholastic Interview Questions in New York, NY

2.6

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Online Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Scholastic.

Terrible experience. Recruiter was extremely unorganized. After a phone interview, I was asked for my availability. Did not hear back for 1 week. Then they sent the confirmation of an on-site interview + the long job application I must bring to the interview a day before at 6:30pm! I had to work very hard to meet their interview request. Then the 2nd on-site interview was canceled at last minute. Did not hear again for over a week. At the end, HR sent me the wrong email message to me discussing someone else's interview feedback.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers were all nice. But they advertise their positions as "full-time", but these are actually 2 year contract. There was no way to know this fact from their careers site. And HR did not tell me at phone screening. Was surprised to find it out at the on-site interview.   Answer Question

Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Scholastic.

I got a call from HR to interview. Then I came back a second time to meet with two Directors. They asked me basic questions about academic background, experience, and what kind of job or career I am looking for. I wrote a thank you letter and then got a call to be hired about two weeks later.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation was available as this was an entry level position.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Scholastic.

I sent in my application and received an email a few days later with a proofreading test which I then had to complete and send back. Maybe a week went by and then I got a call to schedule an interview, and then a week after that got the job offer. It was a fairly easy and straight-forward process.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions, but a few were rather random, such as "What was the last app you downloaded on your phone?"   Answer Question

P/T Sales Associate/Party Host Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Scholastic.

Online application, group interview, 1-1 interview

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite childhood book and why? How do you handle difficult situations?   Answer Question

Salary $8-$9 no paid vacation or benefits.

Digital Asset Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Scholastic in December 2012.

I received a call from a recruiting agency who saw my resume on Monster.com. They asked me some preliminary questions on my qualifications and rate. I sent over a revised resume and got an interview a week later. The first interview was with the main producer of the program, Ben Georgia. He asked about my technical background, previous work experience, and personal background. He then explained what the program was about and why he got involved with it. He mentioned how passionate he was about be able to work on a new educational software program that would help kids do better in school rather than work on a mind-numbing reality television show for VH1. His passion for this project captivated me. I told himI would be equally as passionate because my mother works for the NYC Board of Education and uses Scholastic tooks to help parents assist their kids with test prep and homework. I also mentioned that Scholastic was a big part of my education while growing up and how it would be a dream to be able to work for a company I grew up with. A week later, I got a call for a second interview. I went in the next day and met up with the Senior/Executive Producers of another similar educational program, Beth Strauss and Alex Sherwin. They talked about the more technical aspects of the project and wanted to make sure I was capable of structuring the internal digital process of the asset management. I explained to them how my previous job had made me qualified and experienced with managing and structuring file databases and metadata. They overall seemed pleasant and east to speak to. You can tell that everyone who works there cares deeply about the projects they are working on. A week went by and then I was asked for my references, which I promptly delivered. The next day, I was offered the job and I gladly accepted. I filled out my W2 and tax information with the recruiting company and started working at Scholastic at the start of the new year.

Interview Questions
    • What was the biggest mistake you made in the workplace and how did you fix it?   View Answer
    The recruiter and I worked out an hourly rate before the interview process. I was offered one dollar more an hour than my requested hourly rate upon being hired.

Research Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Scholastic in June 2012.

I was contacted by a recruiting intern to set up a phone interview. She told me that I would be speaking with two people, on two seperate calls. For the first call, I had to call the interviewer. She seemed confused and disoriented. I don't think she had ever looked at my resume before the call. I knew from LinkedIn that she was with the internal recruiting department but she did not introduce herself as such. The questions were basic, mostly about very general work experience and salary. She interrupted me during my responses and seemed genuinely disinterested. She ended the call after 11 minutes; we were scheduled for 30 minutes.

The second interviewer was in the department I was interviewing for. She was more engaged, but she was borderline condescending. I am not sure why she selected me for a phone screen, because she did not speak well of my experience and had a preconceived notion of me (an incorrect one). She asked more specific questions about my experiences than the recruiter. Some of the things she said about the position and the department were quite alarming and turned me off of the job about 5 minutes into the interview. These two interviews went so poorly that it is just laughable. It seems like an extremely corporate work environment.

Database Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Scholastic in October 2011.

Applied online. Was contacted by HR for phone screen. Brought in to talk to HR, reviewed resume. Scheduled interview with hiring manager at in person HR meeting. Hiring Manger was out, scheduled for a later date. Met with Hiring Manager a few days later, reviewed resume, asked questions relating to position. HR then scheduled meeting with System Architect for technical. Met with Architect, no technical since he believed I was knowledgeable just by talking about experience. Got a call from HR 10 days later, everybody liked me but it's not going to work.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Scholastic?   Answer Question
    • Are there any functions within the position you have concerns about performing?   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Scholastic in August 2010.

Very straightforward. I came in to interview, spoke with three people I would be working with for about 30-45 minutes each, and then heard a few weeks later that I got the job. Seemed a bit disorganized and there was some confusion with my paperwork with HR, but it was a laid back work environment and overall positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your background and how it relates to this job.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Scholastic in August 2010.

The initial communication was through a recruiter. Former co-workers from another company were now working at this company so I asked one of them to speak to the hiring manager and put in a good word for me. luckily he reported to hiring manager, so it pulled some weight.

I had a phone interview then individual in person interviews (all on same day) with the hiring manager, 2 peer level project managers, and the department's VP.

The hiring manager was direct about the pay range and brought it up in the interview. He also said they were prepared to make a decision by the end of the week as they had been interviewing for months already.

Interview Questions
    The recruiter negotiated (successfully) for me, so I didn't have to have the negotiation conversation directly with the employer.

Web Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Scholastic in May 2010.

Responded to a job posting on a tech-oriented job board. After a day, I got an email back to schedule time to come in person for an interview. They rescheduling the first interview two times due to last minute changes, so that sucked from my end since I had to travel relatively far to get there. One day I actually traveled in, only to be called when I was down the street about rescheduling. I finally made it in, had a 1:1 interview with a director. Really nice guy, very in touch with technology. That went well so he let me know that they'd be in touch for another meeting. Then I didn't hear back from them for a few weeks. I sent an email or two to follow up, but no response, so I finally called and apparently they were super busy. Finally someone else called me for a phone interview. We talked a 2-3 times, very informal. It sounded like they were in a crunch to fill seats, the person who I talked to on the phone sounded like he was being stretched thin. Eventually, I received an offer as a temp-to-hire/permalancer. The interview experience would've been a lot better without the long delays in responses from the employer.

Interview Questions
    • Why did this position stand out to you?   View Answer

The compensation was way too little in comparison where I was. I negotiated with them on pay, but they counter-offered with something that was still too low. It sounded like a fun place to be, but I didn't want to take such a significant pay/benefit cut and be hired in as a non-staff employee, no guarantees that I would be a staffer.