Scholastic

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Web Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Scholastic in May 2010.

Responded to a job posting on a tech-oriented job board. After a day, I got an email back to schedule time to come in person for an interview. They rescheduling the first interview two times due to last minute changes, so that sucked from my end since I had to travel relatively far to get there. One day I actually traveled in, only to be called when I was down the street about rescheduling. I finally made it in, had a 1:1 interview with a director. Really nice guy, very in touch with technology. That went well so he let me know that they'd be in touch for another meeting. Then I didn't hear back from them for a few weeks. I sent an email or two to follow up, but no response, so I finally called and apparently they were super busy. Finally someone else called me for a phone interview. We talked a 2-3 times, very informal. It sounded like they were in a crunch to fill seats, the person who I talked to on the phone sounded like he was being stretched thin. Eventually, I received an offer as a temp-to-hire/permalancer. The interview experience would've been a lot better without the long delays in responses from the employer.

Interview Questions
  • Why did this position stand out to you?   View Answer

The compensation was way too little in comparison where I was. I negotiated with them on pay, but they counter-offered with something that was still too low. It sounded like a fun place to be, but I didn't want to take such a significant pay/benefit cut and be hired in as a non-staff employee, no guarantees that I would be a staffer.