School District of Philadelphia

Updated Jun 12, 2014

2.8

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at School District of Philadelphia.

Rather amaturish. The interview was a group interview with some people sitting in the room appearing to have no idea of the requirements of the position. It felt that they were in the room to give the appearance of the process being open.

Interview Questions
    • there were no unexpected questions. They were rather superficial: Why do you want to work for a public entity? You do realize that we are hiring you during a very difficult financial situation and yet you want to work here? (Of course, otherwise I would not have applied)   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at School District of Philadelphia.

Three step process. Written English and Math Test, Typing test, interview with a principal.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were easy. Situations in school office. Common sense.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at School District of Philadelphia.

Filed out application online and met with a HR rep a few days later at the school. It was an an awesome interview and I really liked my interviewer. I received an on spot job offer.

Interview Questions
    There is a salary scale.

Special Education Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at School District of Philadelphia.

Someone calls you or sets up an in person interview so that you receive your "score" upon which you are ranked against all others with your same seniority (they do not explain that at first). Then, they ask you a series of benign questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you differentiate your teaching in a class where you have students who excel and students who struggle?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. It is set based on your experience and your education.

Mail Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at School District of Philadelphia.

I had one interview with the mail room supervisor. He as me multiple question mainly if I could handle a high work load. He let me know the training is a must and told me sorting and delivering mail is 70% of the work load.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at School District of Philadelphia.

I actually interviewed for my job four weeks after being hired. Interview was scored 0-100%, yet now management wants to do away with tenure and seniority.

Interview Questions
    • How often should a teacher be assessing his or her students.   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at School District of Philadelphia.

This happened with the district on the phone. They asked:
    -How I would handle a disruptive student
    -How I would handle my principal telling me to stop one of my practices and use a different technique, even though I know my technique works for my specific class
    -What is my teaching motto.
    -How do I teach to people who have had disruptive home lives, and do I realize that they may bring something into the classroom due to that
    -How do I differentiate for many types of students

Interview Questions
    • How do I deal with students who disrupt class?   View Answer

Guidance Counselor Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at School District of Philadelphia.

I received a letter in the mail telling me to report to the HR office at a specific time and date for a screening interview and writing sample. The writing sample was easy, no worries. The interview was with three people. They took turns asking questions and recorded my answers. They then gave me a score (which you find out at a later date). It was a low key interview. Once you pass the interview, you are then able to either interview at specific schools, or do what I did and pick a school that had a vacancy.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing tricky. The only questions asked were questions that were easy to score such as "What would you do if a student tells you she is pregnant" or "what would you do if a student came to you with a black eye and said that their parent punched them in the face for not cleaning their room?". I do not remember the exact wording of the questions, since it was over a decade ago, but that was basically it.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Since it is a job with a school district at a school your salary and benefits are set by union contract.

Teacher Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at School District of Philadelphia in February 2013.

I was not contacted by submitting my resume through the school districts website. I had to contact someone in the HR office directly through email and apply for a specific job that I heard was opening. Upon contacting this person they told me that I was not qualified for this position but that she would forward my resume on to 3 positions at different schools that I was certified to teach and then I was contacted by those principals.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to increase student attendance in this classroom where less then 80% of the students attend class on a regular basis.   Answer Question

Biology Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at School District of Philadelphia in June 2012.

Interviews are never one on one, there is usually a team so be prepared if you are the nervous type. Some interviewers are snobby.

Interview Questions
    • Why should I hire you for this job? I have other candidates   View Answer
    They sent an email as the job offer and told me I had received the job