School Specialty

Very Easy Interview

Manifest Operator Interview

Manifest Operator
Nashua, NH

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at School Specialty in June 2009.

Interview Details – do i have a pulse... literally, this is what i was asked.

Interview Question – nothing off the charts   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation... the pay was low, only 9.00 to start.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

Interviewed at School Specialty

Interview Details – Very non-chalant. Company seems to be looking for warm bodies to replace seasoned employees.

Interview Question – How do you handle customers that are working with a competitor who has claimed you are in financial distress?   Answer Question

Account Manager ( Sales) Interview

Account Manager ( Sales)

I applied online and interviewed at School Specialty.

Interview Details – I dont think I can recall a more disorganized review process ever in my two decades in sales. The iniitaly screener (recruiter) was more interested in discussing her personal life than my skills and background or the job. A big turn off to say the least. She couldnt answer the most basic questions about salary expectations, hiring time frame, training etc. I had also read some very very negative and consistent reviews about School Specialty and her response was "Well you can't always believe what you read on the internet..." Yikes! Now that's a scary answer. a well trained recruter would know how to laser in on those types of candidate concerns and addrees them immediatly. I chose not to continue on with the process after this experience. I was also concerned about this company's financial stability.

Interview Question – Why did you apply for this position?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at School Specialty.

Interview Details – I received an email response initially to let me know they interested in talking with me. I then emailed several times to determine a time for the interview. I rec'd a call back to a few months later for the interview but they offered it to someone else. I was told that I would be contacted if additional opportunities became available

Interview Question – Interview was very easy, generic questions   Answer Question

Contracts Interview

Contracts
Greenville, WI

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at School Specialty in October 2008.

Interview Details – The interview for this position was very professional. I was already working for SSI. I enjoyed the questions regarding gross profits and product knowledge. All promises made to me were kept by my manager.

Interview Question – What gross margin do you think would be acceptable?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very professional

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Greenville, WI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at School Specialty in June 2009.

Interview Details – What about places like School Specialty in Greenville, Wisconsin? They had me jump through hoops for a part time customer service job. I scored 100 percent on a data entry exam, was interviewed by 2 people. Then they sent me a so-called personality test. They said “be careful you don’t lie”, “lots of people do”. One question was: Are you a Conservative or Liberal. Since I am a Moderate, there is no fairness in this question. Very invasive questions that shouldn’t be on an employment exam, anyway.. (about 180 questions) How about this one? Would you sent your bad food back in a restaurant or shove it to the edge of your plate? Since I would send mine back, that must indicate that I couldn’t be easily manipulated. This is supposedly a legitimate business. I found out they hired someone 25 years younger than me for this job. They don’t want to hire people who are over 55 years old, possibly.

I am perplexed as to how one is told there are no right or wrong answers on this very strange test, yet, you have to "pass" it in order to get hired. Quite laughable, actually. Since I was a rep for Kimberly Clark for a decade, until they eliminated our department. This interviewer said I had to pass this test in order to be a rep. I'm a little ahead of you guys, I would say.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time you were the only one to help a customer? Not that hard, but was same question for each place I worked. (too hard to remember for places from long ago)   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

Marketing Specialist
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at School Specialty in August 2012.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview with HR - lasted an hour; general experience questions - told me all about the role, getting to know me. Set up phone interview with VP of Marketing alongside HR for part of the call. Then wrapped up call (about 2 hrs) on my own. Was offered position within 2 days of 2nd interview.

Negotiation Details – I was offered the job 2 days later - I counter offered, waited on response - received reply from VP and moved forward with signing of offer.

Managing Interview

Managing

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at School Specialty in September 2010.

Interview Details – Talked with recruiter, phone interviewed with 2 people and personal interviews with 3 others

Interview Question – If you were a tree, what type would it be?   Answer Question

Worked for School Specialty? Contribute to the Community!