SchoolDude.com

10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Market Manager Interview

Market Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at SchoolDude.com in April 2013.

Interview Details – I was very excited to interview for this position. At the time I felt everything about the position, the company, and the timing were about perfect for me. I read Glassdoor experiences and anticipated a long, in-depth interview process and that is what I got. The first interview was a phone conversation. The second interview was a set of "essay" questions to be returned to the HR/Marketing department, which were sort of like MBA exam questions. The third interview was in-person with only the hiring manager. The fourth interview was with an HR Manager first, who then passed me off to a few members of the sales team. The fifth interview was facilitated by the hiring manager, but primarily with three members of the marketing team. I truly enjoyed each and every step of the interview process. It was extremely time-consuming, and very difficult to manage with my full-time job, but I made it work because I cared about working there. The in-person interviews were less formal, more of a casual conversation about the company, and not all of the department teams who attended were given much notice about them. I honestly didn't mind and used it as an opportunity to talk about my ideas for the role, for the company, etc.

I was VERY excited when the HR manager wrote to say I could come in to review my offer. Now, here's where things get a bit 'off." When I arrive the very next day he hands me an offer letter and immediately launches into an explanation about how the company is restructuring. I hear him using the phrase "you have a seat on the bus, we just don't know what that seat is at this time." So that's around the time that I see on the offer that the pay is not just a tad low - it's WAY low. Like, really bad entry level pay low. I look further through the letter and realize they're offering me an untitled entry-level marketing position - NOT the Manager position that I had spent 30+ hours interviewing for. I ask him to clarify that this is indeed not a manager position and he confirms that this is in fact true. I'm pretty miffed at this point that he gave me no warning of this; he had to of known for some time that they couldn't offer me the job I had applied for! It really felt like a bait and switch deal. I leave to think about it and I actually decided that I was so excited about the work I'd be doing that it was enough to take the job, shiftiness and all. So I later call him to tell him that I would still be interested, but that I have minimum salary expectations (because we all do, let's be real). He tells me he'll see what he can do. The next day I receive an email from their HR manager rescinding their offer. I didn't care that much because I had another good offer on the table.

Anyhow, I really have mixed feelings about the whole ordeal. Up until the last meeting, I was quite enamored with the company, but I also despise being lied to when the truth would suffice. There's just no need for it. I still think there's a chance that if you can get a good offer it might be a nice place to work. But even if that's true, the interview process is a total racket and it's uncalled for.

Interview Question – How do you understand a specific market segment? How do you develop a unique value propositions and go-to-market strategies for each defined segment?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They offered me an job I didn't apply for, with too little pay.

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager

Interviewed at SchoolDude.com

Interview Details – I've honestly never experienced such an odd ending to an interview process.

For starters, I went through about 4-5 rounds of pretty intense on-site interviews. I met with my direct manager, the entire team, HR, and execs in the company.

Things were going well.

In fact, things were going so well that the hiring manager took me for a beer to sell me on accepting the position. He followed up with another very persuasive email.

At this point I had a verbal offer.

It was at this point that I met with HR to discuss salary. We were WAY off. Which is fine, I understand there are other benefits other than salary to take in consideration.

Now this is where things got really weird. Once I told the hiring manager that the salary I discussed with HR was far from my expectations, communication came to a halt.

Lots of unreturned emails, phone calls, etc.

Finally, I had to make a decision for another offer and I called the hiring manager one last time. We talked and he essentially said that they company received a large bill (which they weren't expecting) and that all hiring was put on hold.

In the end, I guess it's for the best. I don't want to work for a company that isn't transparent throughout the interview process - and SchoolDude was not only not transparent, but borderline shady during the last few weeks of the process.

Interview Question – I was asked to create a detailed Marketing Plan for an upcoming product   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary was too low

Service Interview

Service

Interviewed at SchoolDude.com

Interview Details – 3 interviews

Interview Question – what would you do if you could do anything   Answer Question

Software Analyst Interview

Software Analyst
Cary, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at SchoolDude.com in July 2012.

Interview Details – Applied via the website and received an email from their HR manager, requesting an interview. Met with two people who seemed to not have a lot of experience interviewing a possible outside hire, as they mostly hire friends and family of current employees. But the interview went well and they were very nice and seemed to like me.

Two weeks later, I get an email from a different HR person, requesting a half-day interview. I met with multiple people in the company, including this HR person, one of the guys who interviewed me the first time, and multiple employees. It started out very pleasant and everyone was super nice; it almost seemed like I pretty much had the job; they just wanted a half-day interview to pre "check me out." That's pretty much when the positive experience stopped.

I then met with a guy who told me that they mostly hire people who come from the restuarant industry because "we (School Dude) is unlike any other company." Does that make any sense? I have a 4-year degree and tons of experience and this guy proceeds to tell me that they mostly hire people who are essentially waiters and that my current experience may not "fit" with their culture. From there, the rest of the day went downhill. It was clear that they were looking for someone who "fit" their culture (whatever it is) and that I wasn't it. Maybe they were intimited by my experience, I don't know. Anyway, I sent a follow up email to thank them for the interview. Then three days later, I get a standard email that they have chosen to pursue other candiates whose qualifications more closely match what they are looking for. In other words, they are looking for a waiter or waitress.

I later found out that their HR managers shared personal details about my interview process with another recruiter, but that is a whole other can of worms. All in all, I will never again waste my time applying for another job with this unprofessional company. It's sad that one of the "top" places to work in the Triangle behaves this way.

Interview Question – If you had to count how many ridges were on a quarter, how would you go about doing it?   View Answers (2)

Very Easy Interview

Applications Engineer Interview

Applications Engineer
Cary, NC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at SchoolDude.com in July 2012.

Interview Details – This is a very casual office; everyone except HR was in shorts and tee shirts.

I had one phone interview and two face to face meetings. The first face to face interview was with two different groups; Application Engineers and sales reps.

The AE group asked very general questions. They told me that they do 3 to 5 webcasts each day (15 to 25 each week) and asked if that would be an issue for me. The sales reps seemed to have never done an interview before. Additionally; no one actually taken the time to read my resume prior to the meeting.

Two weeks later I was brought in for another 1 hour group interview. I arrived at 12:50 for a 1 pm meeting. Upon arrival to the office I found that the receptionists and HR were not in the office. Someone was able to locate the manager who I was actually meeting with that day. The interview started 15 minutes late. The meeting with the manager and lasted for 3 minutes. I was then brought in to a conference room and met with 5 or 6 people. No one was able to give me more than 7 minutes. Each interviewer came and went without having read my resume or knowing what had been discussed prior to their arrival.

This interview ended with the hiring manager. He told me that they usually hire internally by going with friends or family. He also had not yet received budget approval for the position. He was locating candidates who he would consider for the position once it opened.

I was in my car at 2:10.

One week later I received an email from HR stating that they are exploring other candidates and that no further information is available. She wished me best of luck with my job hunt.

Interview Question – Can you perform 15 to 25 presentations each week?   View Answer

Software Interview

Software
Cary, NC

The process took a day - interviewed at SchoolDude.com in March 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed for a position at schooldude. Had two phone interviews plus an onsite interview with several people. Discovered a few things.

First, their dress code is very casual, so unless you're interviewing for an executive position you should probably dress at most business casual, preferably even casual casual.

Second, they manage their interview process like fraternity/sorority rush to a much greater extent than typical employers. You have to get them to like you as a person as much as (or possibly even more than) they respect you as a professional. Keep that in mind.

Interview Question – The most challenging thing you did? Proudest accomplishment?   Answer Question

Human Resources Associate Interview

Human Resources Associate
Cary, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at SchoolDude.com in November 2010.

Interview Details – This was a very pleasant interview. It was 1:1, with two different people. I came back a second time to speak more with the HR Manager, who was super nice. The environment was "cool," and both of the employees who I interviewed with were very warm and nice. I could tell they were searching for the perfect person to fit their culture, which I appreciated. It's only a shame that I didn't get the offer!

Interview Question – It wasn't so much of a question as a comment. The HR mentioned her passion for HR, and alluded to enjoying talking about HR for fun. I'm afraid I didn't feel the same way--I'm hoping to find more of a passion in my next position. It just felt it difficult to respond, as it was hard for me to relate.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Marketing Specialist Interview

Marketing Specialist
Cary, NC

The process took a day - interviewed at SchoolDude.com in September 2010.

Interview Details – I traveled to Cary, NC from MI for final interviews, but once I arrived and met the team it was apparent that they made up their decision before I even sat down. The founder of the company did not even take the time to read my resume...he just went down the list of things that disqualified me for the position. Mind you the position called for a 4 year degree and I have an MBA. I was not surprised to find out that they hired someone who was much less qualified for the position...and fit in with the "type" of people that already worked there...very little diversity.

Interview Question – What could we do to market ourselves better?   Answer Question

Software Analyst Interview

Software Analyst

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at SchoolDude.com.

Interview Details – Overall impression of the interview process was pretty good. I will say that they are very protective of their culture and truly seek to find the right fit. While your skills may be extraordinary, if your personality does not mesh you will not proceed.

I applied online and was contacted within a week for a phone screening. I then conducted a phone interview which was pleasant. I was invited to the offices to meet one of the senior software analysts and the entire experience was relaxed and comfortable. I was then invited to do a web based demonstration for a panel of fellow software analysts which went well. After that I was invited to meet some of the team over breakfast and asked to come back to the office for a half a day "observation" of the position. I was then brought to HR to discuss salary ranges and benefits (which are very generous) and closed the day with a meeting with a few of the managers. Later that day I was extended an offer which I accepted.

From the minute I walked in the doors of this company I felt as if it was an environment in which I wanted to be a part of. I felt comfortable and welcome at every step of the way and I gladly turned down two other offers to join this team. Any company that protects it's culture to this extent cares deeply about the workers within.

Interview Question – Who would give you your worst reference? Why?   Answer Question

Marketing Operations Specialist Interview

Marketing Operations Specialist

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at SchoolDude.com in November 2010.

Interview Details – My initial interaction with the company was a good one. I had a thorough, pleasant phone interview with the person I would be reporting to and she told me that she'd like me to come in to meet the team face-to-face. And that's where the positive interaction ended.

When I showed up for the interview, I was told that three members of the staff and I were going to lunch. It was very awkward (imagine me in a business suit and the other 3 ladies in jeans and t-shirts). Very little about the position or my skills was discussed...I felt like I was at a sorority rush! But I guess it went well because they invited me back to meet with several other staff members and the HR person. I felt like that round of interviews went extremely well and was happy when I was told that they would like me to come back and meet with the president of the company. They told me to look for their email so that we could set up the meeting. That was on Dec. 16 and I never heard back from them. I sent a couple of thank you/follow up emails and never received a response.

Finally, after sending another email on January 3rd, asking if I was still being considered for the position, I received a curt email simply saying that they "were still considering all their options" and that I should "ping" them occasionally to see how they were doing. I don't think I need to say I am DEFINITELY better off without receiving an offer from this incredibly rude and unprofessional company.

Interview Question – Do you feel like you can fit in with a diverse group of people?   View Answer

Worked for SchoolDude.com? Contribute to the Community!