Schwan's

Relevance Date Difficulty

Deployment Planner Interview

Deployment Planner
Bloomington, MN

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Schwan's in October 2009.

Interview Details – The hiring process began with a phone interview with the position's recruiter. I then had to go back 3 separate time for both group and 1:1 interviews, which was annoying. Professional work culture in a very nice suburban office setting. I met with the people who would become my co-workers along with the department's management and Vice President.

Interview Question – Please provide an example where you had to solve a difficult problem. How did you handle it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate but looking back I wish I would have at least tried to get a higher salary.

Route Manager Interview

Route Manager
Bryan, TX

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Schwan's in November 2009.

Interview Details – The depot manager will ask you bs questions, fill you with hopefull thoughts and sit you high and pretty.

If he likes you, you get to ride with someone for a day, 14hr day, usually the pretty boy that runs the numbers. Then it's off to a drug test and dexterity test. Wait for everything to clear and your hired.

Negotiation Details – no negotiations, set salary

Santa Rosa, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Schwan's in March 2010.

Interview Details – Received phone call for interview date of next day. Met with the GM. He was very open and honest with his expectations of very long hours (12+ per day). No Sick Pay, nearly no Holiday Pay. If you are sick you have to make it up on a Saturday, etc. He wanted to make sure everything was explained in order to find the right candidate for the job. I decided that I would not fit into this position as I have an active life outside of work. Two weeks vacation after one year can be taken in 1 week increments. 401k will match up to 5% after first year. Overall experience was positive because he was open and honest. They just need an employee that does not have a life outside of work.

Interview Question – What have you done for the last 15 years?   View Answer

Route Salesman Interview

Glendale, AZ

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Schwan's in March 2010.

Interview Details – 1 on 1 interview with the general manager. Easy going guy who interviews plenty of applicants for these positions it went well and he offered me a ride along with a salesman the next day, which I decided to do. I could do this job even I could sell food door to door to established customer and make new contacts, heck people flag you down wanting to buy some ice cream. Was very interested due to the salary of 32k starting and 38K after 6 months + commision.

Reason for Declining – The ride along was going well, great people on the route some sale, some declines but overall the food sold. But in order to meet your goals there are A LOT OF HOURS REQUIRED. The driver I went with works 14 hours a day 7am to 9 pm - crazy no life the 32K really doesn't seem worth it, especially if you have a family - they wouldn't see you. The day I was with him he worked 16 hours 7am to 11 pm - he felt he would make his first step bonus that pay period which would end up to be around $150 for that 2 week period. I asked him what happens if you don't meet your goal and he told me you work your 1 weekday day off. Not for me - maybe if you dont like to be around your family and enjoy eating breafas, lunch and dinner in your truck go for it. The general Manager did tell me he expects the trucks to be out before 9 and if you back before 8 this won't work out for you, most of our sales are between 3-9.

Longview, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Schwan's in October 2009.

Interview Details – The phone interview went well. I will have my 1 on 1 interview tomorrow. I have been researching the company. Not sure what to think. So many negative and positives. I believe I will play it by ear.

Interview Questions

Very Easy Interview

Route Sales Representative Interview

Route Sales Representative

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Schwan's in May 2011.

Interview Details – You go in and meet the sales manager and then you do a full day 14 hour ride along day and if the person you are riding with thinks you can do the job and likes you then you will be offered the job

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – either take it or leave it

Route Sales Representative Interview

Route Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Schwan's in January 2012.

Interview Details – HR background check outsourced to HireRight - not very good, and does not take into account what the employee requests for privacy and confidentiality - ie called my current and past employers.
I was not sure what the offer package was during the interview process.

Interview Question – Will you work more than 10 hours per day?   Answer Question

Customer Service Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Schwan's in January 2010.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview within 24 hours of applying online, and a personal interview within a few days. The next step was riding with a current employee for part of a day.

I didn't hear much for nearly 2 months afterwards, and had written off Schwan's. Out of the blue, I got a phone call offering me a job.

Interview Question – There were no difficult or unexpected questions, just one odd one: "How will your wife & family feel about you being gone 12 or 14 hours a day?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. The job & the comp structure are what they are.

Route Sales Representative, Schwans Interview

Route Sales Representative, Schwans

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Schwan's in April 2012.

Interview Details – After applying online I was contaced by a Depot Sales mgr and by Human Resources. Set the one on one interview for the next day. The initial inerview lasted roughly 30 min. The inerview was focused on mainly sales experience and how much "drive" I had to sell. Focused alot on customer service and developing relationships with customers. After the interview, which went well, I was invited to a spend the next day with a route driver to complete the second part of the interview process. Showed up at 8 A.M. the next day, to meet my ride along guy, who was not aware I was working with him that day, and finally after almost 15 hours and well over 100 stops, left the depot at 11 P.M. The man I worked with all day and evening was a super guy. Before leaving for the night, I also had a short meeting with the Sales Mgr to follow up on what I thought and of what they thought of me during the ride along. They liked what they saw in me and I was offered a base line position at this time and was asked if I was willing to come back in for a final inerview and start the training process. I was so tired and in complete awe of what I had experienced that I said I would get back to them in 2 days after speaking with my wife.

Interview Question – Would I be willing to work 50 - 60 hours per week?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Wow, where to start ? Ungodly hours, low pay for the amount of time, energy and responsiblity. They say they want sales people but really, it's order taking because you don't have the time to spend developing a customer to their full potential. It's a turn and burn policy in my opinion. I stayed the whole route but should've left the vehicle after 4 - 6 hours, what a disappointment. I could go on and on, I don't know why anyone would accept an offer from them after spending one day on a "route". I have serious safety concerns about the amount and type of driving required to fulfill this job.

Customer Service Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Schwan's in August 2010.

Interview Details – I was told more of what Schwan's is versus what the job entails which would have been nice because it wasn't until I got sick that I found out that I had no sick leave to take advantage.

Interview Question – Describe a little about yourself typical   Answer Question