Schwan's Interview Questions

Updated Mar 8, 2015
Updated Mar 8, 2015

2.4

Intern Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Schwan's.

Had a phone interview back in December was contacted by them again in Feb.

Management Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Schwan's.

the process was very organization on the plant end but not the corporate recruiter's end. The recruiter had no clue about how the business was ran or the business needs.

very easy

Sales and Distribution Support Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisville, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisville, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Schwan's in October 2012.

Applied to an online posting. Received a call two weeks later from HR for phone screen, which went well. Later the same day the Regional Manager called asking if I could come in next day for an interview. That also went well and the next day he called with an offer. I verbally accepted and went in the next day to sign offer letter. Here is where things went downhill. I was sent for a DOT physical ( nothing previously was disclosed that a DOT physical would be needed) and I was DQed from passing the physical due to a minor medical condition which I disclosed.
    I went back to the depot and spoke with the depot manager who called a medical compliance officer at the hiring/BG check company they use, who said if I could get more info from my doctor regarding my condition, they could appeal the DQ. I had my doc send the information the next day, and waited over the weekend for them to proceed. On Monday I called the depot manager ( on his cell which he provided) and again on Tuesday and he wouldn't answer or return my calls.
    I can only assume that they were unable to get the DQ reversed, but why they wouldn't tell me this (or whatever other reason they decided I wasn't a good fit for the position) I have no idea. Left a really bad taste in my mouth about how they operate!

Interview Questions
    • What is your management style...collaborative or dictatorial?   Answer Question
    They offered a far wage so I accepted w/o negotiation.

Route Sales Representative, Schwans Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Twin Falls, ID
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Twin Falls, ID

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Schwan's in July 2012.

It was pretty simple, there was an ad for drivers on an employment website, I submitted the application and was contacted a few days later. It was a standard interview with a required ridealong on the following day.

Interview Questions
    • They want you to know about the history of the Schwan company.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. They make you an offer and you take it or leave it.

Route Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clare, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Clare, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Schwan's in May 2012.

Applied online received call within 24 hours to set up interview 24 hours latter so called interview was setup No position offered because as he stated I was not a good fit but would be a great customer.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you drop Schwan's   View Answer
    • Q:Would I come back as a customer if they offered employment   View Answer
    • Q: Did I feel that I could be a good fit for this position   View Answer

Production Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Schwan's in April 2012.

Phone Screening w/ recruiter, Phone Interview w/ Mfg Mgr., In person interview with Mfg Mgr, Maint. Mgr, QUality Mgr, and Production Supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • None. Typical Questions. Run through your resume, speak of previous experience and companies, also asked to communicate what could I bring to the table.   Answer Question
    willing to negotiate a little on the compensation side and also on the vacation amount

Route Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita Falls, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita Falls, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Schwan's in January 2012.

Initial application must be made online. All preliminary hiring decisions are made through the HR office, calling the local depot to speak with a manager will not be effective, nor will you be able to access HR through outside means. If selected, an initial interview will be given by the manager of the depot that you applied for. After this, a packet will be given to obtain a DOT mandated physical exam and urinalysis. In a couple of weeks, a ride along day will be scheduled in which you will tail an RSR for an entire day observing the work process. A final interview will then be scheduled. About a week after that, final HR approval will be sent down and you will start training.

Interview Questions
    • Expect the obvious, such as previous sales experience, experience working on commission, etc. One the questions that surprised me was regarding family life. This position requires a minimum of 60 hours a week, and many routes require staying out of town overnight. This puts an enormous strain on the family, and questions during the interview will deal with this.   Answer Question
    For this position nothing is negotiable. Basic pay and commission levels are the same, no matter how much experience or time in.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Breckenridge, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Breckenridge, MN

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Schwan's in September 2011.

The first time I contacted the HR manager about the sales position he wanted to know a little more about my experience over the phone. I gave him some general information that would allow me to present in a in-person interview. I simply said I worked here and here and have done some specific tasks related to this job.

Interview Questions
    • What techniques would you use to increase your sales volume?   Answer Question
    I made sure to put myself in the mindset that I am determining if this job/career is what I'm looking for instead of begging for a job. If you sit down and show general interest in the position by asking questions about the company or the job I feel that you are in a better negotiation position than you can ever be. If you need the job more than life, chances are, you will get undercut for pay and benefits.

I would highly suggest changing your mindset. Interview the company to see if they are a good fit for you rather than go the the interview to beg for a job. (regardless if you need it that badly) This will put you in the position to walk if the position does not meet your criteria and perhaps will cause the interviewer to take a second look at their offer.

CSM Interview

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

The process took a dayinterviewed at Schwan's in February 2011.

Ok people, the Third interview which consisted of a 12-14hr day with one of the drivers at the company.
    We went all the way out to Grand Junction,TN in which we drove an hour before we got there!! Hold up! From my professional point of view, why would a company send a person who was trying to decide if they wanted to work for them, all the way outside of there city to a place they've never seen before first of all! They never said that routes would be outside of the city second of all. The driver was very professional and friendly and we had a great time, But why would the company send a person out that far for that many hours to make a decision that could've been made in the first 4 hrs. The driver paid for my meals and all so it was nice, But the Manager didn't offer many any money for food and no pay for the day in which turned out to be a total waste of time. I enjoyed talking to the people in Grand Junction, TN they were very friendly people, but the fact is, the company is not going to give you a route that easy, its going to be two times more difficult! We left the Depot at 9:30am and returned at almost 9:00pm, the Mgr told me that he would be there when we got back and he wasn't. All this was Yesterday on Valentine's Day, today, I've received no calls from the Mgr what so ever, and still I have been told about the pay yet. So to Confirm about this company everyone, all the negative reviews that have been posted about this company from the past are all and still true and now up to date. The people are great, but the company is not, so my interview experience will be positive and easy, but your experience with the company will be negative and very difficult. It would be a total waste fo time working for Schwan's.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Schwan's in February 2011.

Phone interview with recruiter. Phone interview with manager. Interview with manager and peer. Interview with VP of HR and Manager's manager. Took a while. Actually thought I was out of the running at one point.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how your experience has driven cost out of your processes.   View Answer