Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc.

www.selinc.com
  www.selinc.com

Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014
Updated Oct 15, 2014

3.4

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. in October 2014.

I did an on campus interview that lasted for about 45 minutes. It went rather fast. The interviewer wasn't super friendly and seemed pretty average in that regard. They asked questions off of a sheet of paper, and wrote down your answers. After they they emailed back saying they wanted to do a behavioral phone interview. Then if all was well they would fly you out for a few days to do interviews on site.

Interview Questions
    • Just know the intricacies of the C programming language. Know what static means within a function, and when declared on a global variable. Know terms like deadlock, re-entrant, semaphore, etc. This was just a screening interview to make sure you knew some stuff. None of the questions were really that difficult.

There was one generic programming question where they had you write out some code. It was simple, but pay attention to what you're doing. There's just little details they look for. They'll help you with them if you don't see them immediately.
        Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pullman, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. in September 2014.

I applied to SEL after finding a posting on monster.com. Within a day or two I received email requesting me to schedule a phone interview with their HR rep. They also sent some attachments describing the corporate culture (to which they attach quite a lot of importance, so study the material before interviewing!)

The interview took about an hour to do. The first half consisted of some questions about why I wanted to work for SEL -- surprisingly, none of the tricky behavioral stuff such as "What personality disorder makes you most difficult to work with?" Then there were five or six basic questions about the C and C++ languages: what is a union and when do you use it? what can you tell me about semaphores and mutexes?

Then they emailed a programming problem involving string manipulation --- write a function to search for a target substring and replace it. There was a half-hour time limit to get the function written and emailed back. I didn't think far enough ahead to have an IDE up and running, so I just answered in the body of the email without testing -- just making it in under the deadline. (I immediately tested it after submitting and I had a couple of typos, so that the code wouldn't compile. On fixing those, it worked ok, but submitting untested and uncompilable code may very well have been the reason I bombed out.)

I heard back within a day or two that they would look elsewhere, without providing a particular reason. I hadn't thought the interview to have gone that badly, aside from my fizzled coding. It may be that I just didn't have any experience in their product line that tipped the balance against me, or it may be that most applicants can complete the problem and test it in the allotted half hour.

Even though I didn't get the job, I thought that the interviewing procedure was fair and well-managed.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember anything really tricky. You should be very clear before talking to them about why you're interested in working for SEL in particular. I gather that they want enthusiasm as well as competence.   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pullman, WA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc..

Interview consisted of one hour technical questions followed by a second hour presenting code from a project I had worked on. The technical questions were standard C++ competency questions. The second hour code review was just that, a code review. I had to justify my design choices,etc. Every one was professional and nice. The end of the process was a lunch interview which was laid back and relaxed.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Thei offer was good so I accepted.

Firmware Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc..

Applied online and HR reached me out. First interview was with HR to see where I stand.
    Then second interview with few behavioral questions and technical questions.
    Followed by a code query sent through mail and was asked to reply in 30 mins.
    The third telephonic interview is with series of 4 to 5 people asking more technical questions related to resume.

Hardware Engineer Interview

30 minute phone interview
    The interviewer started off with HR questions and then with technical questions mostly problems based on KCL and KVL, Power supply, transformers
    Questions on transformers
    Difference between flip flop and a latch
    Circuit design problems
    HR questions

Interview Questions
    • Questions on transformers
      Difference between flip flop and a latch
      Circuit design problems
      HR questions
        Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc..

The interview process was great. I had a technical phone interview, and then I was brought on site for an interview. The on-site interview consisted of a number of small interviews, but was highlighted by a 30-60 minutes technical presentation that I had to perform.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would solve this problem, and the complexity (Big-O) of it.   Answer Question
    The negotiation wasn't too great. They negotiated on the smaller things (relocation), but not on the salary.

Project Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. in June 2014.

A friend handed my resume in and I received a call that evening asking me if I would consider applying for a Project Coordinator position. I was sent a job description, and I responded with interest. An initial phone interview was set up. Basic behavior questions. This lasted about a half hour. I was called the following day to set up a "technical interview." More behavior questions and a few technical. I was interview by two current PMs and the Hiring Manager. Google search "Project Manager interview questions" and answer them as practice and the interview will go smooth. It will be 1-2 weeks before they contact me again to invite me for an onsite interview or let me know I was not selected.

Test Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc..

The entire process lasted 3-4 weeks. One phone call with the HR (non-technical), then another phone call with the hiring manager and his team (technical interview). Then followed by an in person interview where there is more interviewing around a white board, followed by a technical presentation.

Interview Questions
    • An opto-coupler isolation circuit was drawn on the white board and I was asked to explain its operation. The majority of the questions were based on my previous work experience.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate my salary by about 4%.

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pullman, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc..

Got a call about a month later after the application to set up an interview. Said the interview would consist of both technical and personal questions. If you pass that interview then you do a more technical interview, then they do a background check and reference check and then I believe it is a site visit.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were based on general manufacturing i.e. design for manufacture, process improvement, and your experience in manufacturing. They are very position specific. The personal questions were your general questions about managing projects, and how you would handle certain situations.   View Answer

Electronic Test Technician Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc..

I posted my resume online and after about one week, an HR representative called to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of two parts: behavioral and technical. The behavioral portion of the interview was easy if you stick to the STAR method. The technical portion consisted of basic electrical theory questions.

Although I did not get past the telephone interview, I was told that the rest of the process would consist of an all day interview, where the candidate would receive a tour of the facilities, attend a Q&A session and perform a 1 hour technical presentation.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing to be unexpected in this interview. Be prepared with a piece of paper and a calculator and be sure to review the basic laws and formulas (I did not review prior to my interview o.O... ugh)   Answer Question