Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc.

www.selinc.com
  www.selinc.com

Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. Interview Questions

Updated Dec 17, 2014
Updated Dec 17, 2014

3.4

Electronics Hardware Design Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc..

A telephonic interview with basic questions on KVL, KCL, and transformer basics. There were also many HR questions related to company information, like what do you know about SEL?, Why do you want to move to Washington?, what do you like about this place?, what are your technical skills related to this position?

Interview Questions
    • It was based on transformer, to find the voltage across a current source in a single phase ac transformer. But the question was very basic.   View Answer

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc..

there was an initial interview with the HR where they talk about the expected salary and your location preferences. Then they ask a few very basic questions. Based on your answers you are selected for the second round. The second round is technical and a group of 3 or 4 senior employees take the interview. The technical round is through and they ask you questions about specific areas from your resume and then a few general questions.

FPGA Engineer Interview

Few C questions very basic ones,Basic digital Electronics like what is a flipflop and difference between flipflop and latch and few truth tables, and a verilog code for D-flipflop and HR questions included why this company.the interview is fine.They are good and talk to calm you and friendly interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Program to write a code for division of two numbers using VHDL or verilog   Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. in October 2014.

I did an on campus interview that lasted for about 45 minutes. It went rather fast. The interviewer wasn't super friendly and seemed pretty average in that regard. They asked questions off of a sheet of paper, and wrote down your answers. After they they emailed back saying they wanted to do a behavioral phone interview. Then if all was well they would fly you out for a few days to do interviews on site.

Interview Questions
    • Just know the intricacies of the C programming language. Know what static means within a function, and when declared on a global variable. Know terms like deadlock, re-entrant, semaphore, etc. This was just a screening interview to make sure you knew some stuff. None of the questions were really that difficult.

There was one generic programming question where they had you write out some code. It was simple, but pay attention to what you're doing. There's just little details they look for. They'll help you with them if you don't see them immediately.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pullman, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. in October 2014.

I applied through a university career fair, and was interviewed on campus on the next day. Questions included C/C++, multithreading, and VHDL.

Then a recruiter contacted me and scheduled a phone interview. Mostly behavioral questions.

After another 1 week, I was invited for an on-site interview. The on-site interview started with a facility tour, followed by a 1-hour technical presentation. Then there was a 1-hour programming test. After lunch, a 1.5-hour technical interview, including questions on C, RTOS, multithreading, VHDL, and digital design. Then a 1-hour manager interview with 3 managers, mostly behavioral questions. After that, a 30-min interview with the R&D director. At last, it was a benefits review with the HR.

Every interviewer was friendly and professional. I didn't answer all questions correctly, but it is important to show a positive attitude to learn what you don't know. It is also important to prepare for questions like "why SEL".

Hardware Test Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. in October 2014.

I applied for the position online and the hiring manager responded within 2 weeks. I interviewed with members of the team a week later. It was about 2 hours long. I was offered the job 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • I was to put a circuit together using components, a breadboard, a DMM, an oscilloscope and a datasheet.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pullman, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. in September 2014.

I applied to SEL after finding a posting on monster.com. Within a day or two I received email requesting me to schedule a phone interview with their HR rep. They also sent some attachments describing the corporate culture (to which they attach quite a lot of importance, so study the material before interviewing!)

The interview took about an hour to do. The first half consisted of some questions about why I wanted to work for SEL -- surprisingly, none of the tricky behavioral stuff such as "What personality disorder makes you most difficult to work with?" Then there were five or six basic questions about the C and C++ languages: what is a union and when do you use it? what can you tell me about semaphores and mutexes?

Then they emailed a programming problem involving string manipulation --- write a function to search for a target substring and replace it. There was a half-hour time limit to get the function written and emailed back. I didn't think far enough ahead to have an IDE up and running, so I just answered in the body of the email without testing -- just making it in under the deadline. (I immediately tested it after submitting and I had a couple of typos, so that the code wouldn't compile. On fixing those, it worked ok, but submitting untested and uncompilable code may very well have been the reason I bombed out.)

I heard back within a day or two that they would look elsewhere, without providing a particular reason. I hadn't thought the interview to have gone that badly, aside from my fizzled coding. It may be that I just didn't have any experience in their product line that tipped the balance against me, or it may be that most applicants can complete the problem and test it in the allotted half hour.

Even though I didn't get the job, I thought that the interviewing procedure was fair and well-managed.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember anything really tricky. You should be very clear before talking to them about why you're interested in working for SEL in particular. I gather that they want enthusiasm as well as competence.   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pullman, WA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc..

Interview consisted of one hour technical questions followed by a second hour presenting code from a project I had worked on. The technical questions were standard C++ competency questions. The second hour code review was just that, a code review. I had to justify my design choices,etc. Every one was professional and nice. The end of the process was a lunch interview which was laid back and relaxed.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Thei offer was good so I accepted.

Firmware Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc..

Applied online and HR reached me out. First interview was with HR to see where I stand.
    Then second interview with few behavioral questions and technical questions.
    Followed by a code query sent through mail and was asked to reply in 30 mins.
    The third telephonic interview is with series of 4 to 5 people asking more technical questions related to resume.

Hardware Engineer Interview

30 minute phone interview
    The interviewer started off with HR questions and then with technical questions mostly problems based on KCL and KVL, Power supply, transformers
    Questions on transformers
    Difference between flip flop and a latch
    Circuit design problems
    HR questions

Interview Questions
    • Questions on transformers
      Difference between flip flop and a latch