Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc.

www.selinc.com
  www.selinc.com

Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. Interview Questions

Updated Dec 17, 2014
Updated Dec 17, 2014

3.4

Associate Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc..

The interview process was great. I had a technical phone interview, and then I was brought on site for an interview. The on-site interview consisted of a number of small interviews, but was highlighted by a 30-60 minutes technical presentation that I had to perform.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would solve this problem, and the complexity (Big-O) of it.   Answer Question
    The negotiation wasn't too great. They negotiated on the smaller things (relocation), but not on the salary.

Project Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. in June 2014.

A friend handed my resume in and I received a call that evening asking me if I would consider applying for a Project Coordinator position. I was sent a job description, and I responded with interest. An initial phone interview was set up. Basic behavior questions. This lasted about a half hour. I was called the following day to set up a "technical interview." More behavior questions and a few technical. I was interview by two current PMs and the Hiring Manager. Google search "Project Manager interview questions" and answer them as practice and the interview will go smooth. It will be 1-2 weeks before they contact me again to invite me for an onsite interview or let me know I was not selected.

Test Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc..

The entire process lasted 3-4 weeks. One phone call with the HR (non-technical), then another phone call with the hiring manager and his team (technical interview). Then followed by an in person interview where there is more interviewing around a white board, followed by a technical presentation.

Interview Questions
    • An opto-coupler isolation circuit was drawn on the white board and I was asked to explain its operation. The majority of the questions were based on my previous work experience.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate my salary by about 4%.

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pullman, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc..

Got a call about a month later after the application to set up an interview. Said the interview would consist of both technical and personal questions. If you pass that interview then you do a more technical interview, then they do a background check and reference check and then I believe it is a site visit.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were based on general manufacturing i.e. design for manufacture, process improvement, and your experience in manufacturing. They are very position specific. The personal questions were your general questions about managing projects, and how you would handle certain situations.   View Answer

Electronic Test Technician Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc..

I posted my resume online and after about one week, an HR representative called to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of two parts: behavioral and technical. The behavioral portion of the interview was easy if you stick to the STAR method. The technical portion consisted of basic electrical theory questions.

Although I did not get past the telephone interview, I was told that the rest of the process would consist of an all day interview, where the candidate would receive a tour of the facilities, attend a Q&A session and perform a 1 hour technical presentation.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing to be unexpected in this interview. Be prepared with a piece of paper and a calculator and be sure to review the basic laws and formulas (I did not review prior to my interview o.O... ugh)   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc..

Big emphasis on cultural fit. Not sure that some of the questions being asked were legal.

Interview Questions
    • If you are asked to do something you don't agree with, what will you do?   View Answer
    I do not think they respected my skills, they underbid significantly.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pullman, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. in April 2014.

A phone interview with basic oop questions followed by an on site interview. Everyone was extremely friendly during the entire process. If you don't know something clearly, do NOT pretend like you know it. Tell them you're willing to learn but you don't understand at the moment.. They aren't expecting you to be a professional software engineer as they will eventually equip you with those skills.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me a lot of C# questions I hadn't prepared for... Luckily and coincidently I self taught myself C# earlier this year so they weren't too bad. A lot of syntax, exception handling questions. Super easy if you practice coding on a daily basis.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

one round phone interview for about 60 minutes. The first part of the interview is about the behaviour questions. The second part is about the technical questions. Basically, the questions are related to the analog circuit, digital circuit, and some power supply conceptions. Quesions are not difficult, just basic quesions.

Interview Questions
    • how to get the capacitor value by the frequency?   View Answer

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pullman, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. in March 2014.

I applied at 9am in the morning then received a call at 5pm the same day saying they want to schedule an interview in 2 days! I said OK. I thought it would be a screening interview but it wasn't ! The hiring manager showed up and asked me lots of questions. I answered all of them except one at the end as I was too tired since the interview lasted 1.5 hours. The tone of the manager was like "We like you and you are a perfect fit". I was emailed after that the background authorization form and they also asked me for references. I supplied all of that. After that I received a rejection letter! I am sure that my reference are great and there is nothing wrong with my background. May be the manager thought I am competent more than him? LOL . The weirdest thing happened in my life!

Sales and Customer Service Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc..

The interview process started out with an initial phone screen and then I was asked to come back for an on site interview. The hiring process is different for full time employees but since I was interviewing for an intern position, it was simpler. The on site interview was with a panel of three people.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were mostly behavioral questions and were centered around, "describe a situation in which you had to____" etc.   Answer Question

See What Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. Employees Are Saying

Current Assembler in Pullman, WA

Pros: “They are pretty much the biggest employer outside of institutions. There is for a lack of a better word 'two training departments'. There is how we would like to perceive how things are…” Full Review