Science Systems and Applications

1.7

Interviews for Top Jobs at Science Systems and Applications

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenbelt, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Science Systems and Applications (Greenbelt, MD) in May 2013.

Interview

The overall process and interview was pretty informal. The interviewers told me a lot about the company, their culture and what they were looking for in a manager. It was pretty relaxed all things considered.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about my philosophy and techniques used to manage large groups of people   1 Answer

Scientific Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greenbelt, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Science Systems and Applications (Greenbelt, MD) in June 2012.

Interview

NASA Goddard contractor, you would work directly with NASA civil servants (who are technically not the greatest and can be very laid back). Initial invitation by email, it took two months since I applied and two weeks for the on-site interview. It seems, from the previous review, that it is common practice to interview people who do not have a shot at all. This is really bad since it's a waste of time (travelling, preparing for the interview and contacting your references) thinking you are the right candidate. The position basically asked for knowledge of Fortran, C++, HPC, SVN and modeling experience (which I had as I worked for NASA before). During the interview I was asked about my experience with this tools and at some point I also mentioned my experience with Java. One person started to laugh (very unprofessional) and two others were so defensive (very insecure) and bombarded me with questions on Java. I tried to stay professional and answered with technical reasons, which I think I did, and one person was kind of pissed I answer one of his questions. I was cut off by another person many times during my answers. Unfortunately, I think I touched some nerve (they use Python) and it got to the point I had to say I am not advocating for Java and I wanted to talk about my experience with Fortran and C++ as the job required. Three days later, I was told that "I used so much Java in the past that they decided I was not the right candidate". It sounded like an excuse, it's like saying "the job requires A B C, but you know A B C D but too much of D". Beware, it's a scam so don't be disappointed if you are not chosen as they might have someone already and you're there just to kill time. Many times they prefer the "yes man" rather than someone who would make them feel challenged.

Interview Questions

• They went through my resume, but it was basically a way to find an excuse to not hire you.   1 Answer
    • They use Python so I was asked if I used Python for codes.   1 Answer

Real Time Satellite Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greenbelt, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Science Systems and Applications (Greenbelt, MD) in June 2011.

Interview

I applied and was interviewed for this position twice. First was by phone -- I interviewed with the hiring manager and a second person who I later found was the person they were replacing. It consisted of about a half hour -- almost to the second -- of basic interview questions. Mostly asking about prior experience and talking about how the position would fit into my interests. They told me I would be contacted soon about a followup onsite interview. I later heard that I was not selected as the final candidate. Later in the next month I got a call back from the hiring manager -- he told me the position had reopened and that they would like to consider me a candidate for the position. I accepted -- and then was offered to come in and interview on site. I interviewed onsite -- but it was almost more of a tour. There were no questions asked about my skills and interest (they assumed they got everything they needed to know from the previous phone interview) so he asked if I would like to walk around and get a tour of the building. I was introduced to the team but got the feeling from them as if the position had already been taken. During the remainder of the interview with the hiring manager he nearly gave away that he had decided on another candidate -- I was wondering why I was there. He told me he had one further interview at the end of the day -- and that should be all he needs to make a choice. I found out later that I knew the person interviewing, and that he would likely beat me with a Masters. I heard from the person I knew first -- that he had got the job. Two weeks later I got a phone call from the hiring manager telling me that although I have been a top choice twice the Masters degree has been what they have chosen over me. I could go either way on this one --- on one hand it was really nice of the manager to call me back for a second interview, to keep me in mind for a future opening, and was nice that he called to tell me in person that he offered the job to someone else when he could have easily sent me an email. On the other hand I felt as though his choice was already made when I was there -- almost felt as if he was trying to do me a favor by having me in person. He ended up wasting my time and I lost a day of work on top of it --- all said --- I have a neutral opinion of the process.