Scotiabank

205 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Risks Analyst Interview

Risks Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Scotiabank.

Interview Details – I went to their on campus hiring event and applied online through our university website. I got an interview from the human resource. The first round was with human resource, and the second round was with two managers from related groups. Both the interviewers were very friendly and professional. Typical questions related to risk management and finance. It didn't take very long. I think it took us 30 to 40 minutes.

Interview Question – Nothing very special.   Answer Question

Personal Banking Officer Interview

Personal Banking Officer

Interviewed at Scotiabank

Interview Details – The position was pretty much given to me. I didn't have to interview.

Interview Question – I wasn't asked any questions, being that I wasn't interviewed.   Answer Question

Client Portfolio Analyst Interview

Client Portfolio Analyst

Interviewed at Scotiabank

Interview Details – Two rounds of in person interviews. Interview will call to schedule first round with HR. Regular behavioral questions. Second round with hiring managers - must have an understanding of financial analysis and credit risk. Familiarity with ratio analysis too.

Interview Question – What ratio is most important when looking at a commercial client's credit risk?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Investment Banking Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Scotiabank in January 2010.

Interview Details – I applied through my school's career center and got a phone call 2 weeks later and was scheduled for a phone interview with one of the analysts. The analyst was nice and asked a few technical questions over the phone. After given a short summary of the bank's history I was asked to pick a time for the following week to come in for an interview.
On the interview day I met with the analyst (briefly), an associate director and one co-head (the other person was too busy to come interview me) of the team.
There were no technical questions, although the co-head did give me a case study and asked for solutions to the problem.
The people are very nice and laid back. They weren't there to give anyone a hard time and didn't pull anything nasty during the interview. The USA branch still seems quite small and, by hearing bits and pieces from them, it seems like there's a lot of turnovers and staff rotating.

The only thing that soured the process is that I never heard back from them. I would have expected some decency to let the candidate know that the position was filled, but I never got any responses to follow ups.

Interview Questions

Personal Banking Officer Interview

Personal Banking Officer

Interviewed at Scotiabank

Interview Details – I just got the 1st interview through. It was taking place by phone. It was pretty basic. The interviewer will ask you about your background and nothing tricky. You just need to know what the job is and your experience, how you can use your knowledge. Just try to be confident and smooth. Essentially, you are dealing with people either case.

Interview Question – Tough questions are to be come in the next interview.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

Interviewed at Scotiabank

Interview Details – They ask basic questions, such as why do you want to work for the company, and why do you think you are a perfect fit for the position. I recommend reading through the job description, because they will most likely do a phone interview and ask questions about the tasks and responsibilities.

Interview Question – They may ask what are your strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Human Resources Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Scotiabank in June 2014.

Interview Details – Well managed, Behavioural interview. Easy going managers. They contact me constatly to provide status of the process. Is difficult to find a spot inside when you do not have Canian experience. The Bank values internal talent and women a lot.

Negotiation Details – Transparent and agile.

Associate Programmer Analyst Coop Interview

Associate Programmer Analyst Coop
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Scotiabank in June 2014.

Interview Details – Received a call from Scotiabank after 2 weeks of applying online.One technical interview and it was having all questions from java, oracle and scenario based.Hash Map implementation. I thought i dint get through but they called after 2.5 weeks and said I'm selected . So don't get upset if you don't hear from them fast . It takes time.

Interview Question – Asked to draw a small ER diagram for a table relationship. Like ,The interviewer gave me 4 tables and asked scenarios of linking and draw an ER diagram.   Answer Question

Manager Hedge Funds Interview

Manager Hedge Funds
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Scotiabank in January 2010.

Interview Details – Multiple interviews with almost every team member, asking about various financial instruments. This position was for a developer to develop an in-house management system that tracks vital financial and credit information (when the next annual review should happen for example). I also had a philosophical debate on finance, and some interesting questions on Eigenvalues and how they're used... I wish I'd paid better attention in algebra class!

Interview Question – Very collegial, and mostly a "does this person fit within our group". Are you working towards more designations?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary range, and they offered 10k more than what I asked! Sweet!

Senior Personal Banking Officer Interview

Senior Personal Banking Officer
Salmon Arm, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Scotiabank in March 2013.

Interview Details – Conducted a small interview via phone, in which several basic questions were asked. Mostly these questions were asking what I would do from a customer service perspective in a variety of different hypothetical scenarios. "Can you tell me about a time when you provided excellent customer service? How about a time when you were unable to satisfy a clients concern?" things of this nature.

I was also asked basic questions about why I was leaving my current employer, a competing financial institution. Basic interview, nothing to sweat as long as you're client oriented and understand how to be a service-based person.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time when you couldn't help a customer with a problem." It's difficult to answer this without sounding like you've given up, or sounding like you're awful with customers (even the especially irate ones).   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Interestingly enough, my original offer (told to me at the face-to-face interview) was retracted and replaced with a lower offer. I was unable to negotiate this at all. This of course was displeasing, but even the reduced offer was acceptable... Should've been a warning sign.

Worked for Scotiabank? Contribute to the Community!