Scotiabank

Updated Nov 24, 2014
Updated Nov 24, 2014

2.9

Risks Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Scotiabank.

I went to their on campus hiring event and applied online through our university website. I got an interview from the human resource. The first round was with human resource, and the second round was with two managers from related groups. Both the interviewers were very friendly and professional. Typical questions related to risk management and finance. It didn't take very long. I think it took us 30 to 40 minutes.

Equity Sales & Trading Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Scotiabank in February 2014.

I thought interview went well but I found two weeks later I wash't selected. It really wasn't to bad. Many of the questions were general. MD who interviewed me did ask some technical questions about the market and wanted to see if I had a basic understanding of CAPM...

Interview Questions
    • 1st round = A lot of behavioral..A couple of market based questions but nothing very difficult.   Answer Question

Personal Banking Officer Interview

The position was pretty much given to me. I didn't have to interview.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked any questions, being that I wasn't interviewed.   Answer Question

Client Portfolio Analyst Interview

Two rounds of in person interviews. Interview will call to schedule first round with HR. Regular behavioral questions. Second round with hiring managers - must have an understanding of financial analysis and credit risk. Familiarity with ratio analysis too.

Interview Questions
    • What ratio is most important when looking at a commercial client's credit risk?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Scotiabank in January 2010.

I applied through my school's career center and got a phone call 2 weeks later and was scheduled for a phone interview with one of the analysts. The analyst was nice and asked a few technical questions over the phone. After given a short summary of the bank's history I was asked to pick a time for the following week to come in for an interview.
    On the interview day I met with the analyst (briefly), an associate director and one co-head (the other person was too busy to come interview me) of the team.
    There were no technical questions, although the co-head did give me a case study and asked for solutions to the problem.
    The people are very nice and laid back. They weren't there to give anyone a hard time and didn't pull anything nasty during the interview. The USA branch still seems quite small and, by hearing bits and pieces from them, it seems like there's a lot of turnovers and staff rotating.

The only thing that soured the process is that I never heard back from them. I would have expected some decency to let the candidate know that the position was filled, but I never got any responses to follow ups.

Financial Advisor Interview

3 rounds of interviews (first one is just a prescreen); 2nd round telephone interview is highly behavioural so make sure you have several work-related examples to back up your answer. Last round of interviews consists of a panel interview (in 2 sessions as they switch up interviewers midway) and a group activity. I was tripping hard for the group interview portion as I've never participated in one; no problem, be NATURAL and focus on how you would actually work in a group setting to get the job done - in short, don't be a tool and coerce yourself to be domineering, bossy, obnoxious just to make an impression.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about building a strategic relationship to build a business?   Answer Question

Programmer Analyst Interview

Telephone interview first which is mostly general questions such as business ethic and attitude. Second interview was face to face and interviewer was trying to check all the experiences from the resume and CV which is pretty typical.

There was no negotiation phase actually.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Scotiabank.

Had two telephonic interviews, the first one was about my working experiences, basic personality questions. I was given the second interview the next day, it's all behaviour questions, you can find the questions on glassdoor, they are all the same.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to explain a difficult concept to a customer?   Answer Question

Personal Banking Officer Trainee Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Scotiabank.

I started by applying online and was contacted within about a week by an HR representative to set up a time for an initial screening interview. It only took about 20-30 minutes and included the standard questions that everyone should expect, "Why do you want to work for us", "Strengths and weaknesses", "Tell us about your experience" and that sort of thing.
    After that interview, she immediately let me know that she would be sending me an aptitude test and further questions to fill out and gave me a few days leeway to do it at a convenient time. Simple stuff, just be honest.
    Once I submitted my responses, she called me almost immediately - like an hour after - and asked to set up a second interview time with her. We set it up for the following week. This one was totally behavioural based questions. "Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a customer or coworker", "Tell me about a difficult situation", "Tell me about an achievement in the workplace you are proud of" are three of the six that I remember. I was told before we hung up that she really liked my responses and was going to set up the third and final interview with a branch manager. Second interview took about 40 minutes.
    The position I was interviewing for was across the province and they normally like the final interview to be in person, but they were very helpful in making accommodations for me and I had a conference call with two branch managers instead. The third interview started with a basic, "Tell us about yourself" and then transitioned into a situational interview. "What would you do if you were exceeding sales targets, but the branch you were working for was struggling?", "What would you do if you knew a customer was giving you false information?", "What would you do if there was a new course or seminar that was mandatory for all employees, but you didn't think that it was necessary for job success?" They really wanted to focus on the emotions you would feel in each situation, and what steps you would take to best handle it. I felt like some of the questions were intentionally meant to be confusing or extreme situations just to see what thought process you would have. They let you answer and go on to the next question, but then come back to a question at the end of the interview. Third interview was about an hour long.

I had the same HR rep do my first two interviews and contact me with an offer after the third one. I really liked this continuity and personalized experience rather than a different person from HR talking to you every step of the way.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time when you had to build a relationship with the customer in order to improve your business with them.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

As it has been a long time since last time I was intereviewed. I do not recall all the details. As I recall, it was a very professional and very pleasant process.