Scotiabank

Updated Feb 23, 2015
Updated Feb 23, 2015

2.9

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Scotiabank.

Had two telephonic interviews, the first one was about my working experiences, basic personality questions. I was given the second interview the next day, it's all behaviour questions, you can find the questions on glassdoor, they are all the same.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to explain a difficult concept to a customer?   Answer Question

Programmer Analyst Interview

Telephone interview first which is mostly general questions such as business ethic and attitude. Second interview was face to face and interviewer was trying to check all the experiences from the resume and CV which is pretty typical.

There was no negotiation phase actually.

Personal Banking Officer Trainee Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Scotiabank.

I started by applying online and was contacted within about a week by an HR representative to set up a time for an initial screening interview. It only took about 20-30 minutes and included the standard questions that everyone should expect, "Why do you want to work for us", "Strengths and weaknesses", "Tell us about your experience" and that sort of thing.
    After that interview, she immediately let me know that she would be sending me an aptitude test and further questions to fill out and gave me a few days leeway to do it at a convenient time. Simple stuff, just be honest.
    Once I submitted my responses, she called me almost immediately - like an hour after - and asked to set up a second interview time with her. We set it up for the following week. This one was totally behavioural based questions. "Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a customer or coworker", "Tell me about a difficult situation", "Tell me about an achievement in the workplace you are proud of" are three of the six that I remember. I was told before we hung up that she really liked my responses and was going to set up the third and final interview with a branch manager. Second interview took about 40 minutes.
    The position I was interviewing for was across the province and they normally like the final interview to be in person, but they were very helpful in making accommodations for me and I had a conference call with two branch managers instead. The third interview started with a basic, "Tell us about yourself" and then transitioned into a situational interview. "What would you do if you were exceeding sales targets, but the branch you were working for was struggling?", "What would you do if you knew a customer was giving you false information?", "What would you do if there was a new course or seminar that was mandatory for all employees, but you didn't think that it was necessary for job success?" They really wanted to focus on the emotions you would feel in each situation, and what steps you would take to best handle it. I felt like some of the questions were intentionally meant to be confusing or extreme situations just to see what thought process you would have. They let you answer and go on to the next question, but then come back to a question at the end of the interview. Third interview was about an hour long.

I had the same HR rep do my first two interviews and contact me with an offer after the third one. I really liked this continuity and personalized experience rather than a different person from HR talking to you every step of the way.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time when you had to build a relationship with the customer in order to improve your business with them.   Answer Question

Customer Services Representative Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Scotiabank.

I went to drop off my resume at a branch and spoke with the Branch Manager. This is usually not typical, as we tell potential candidates to apply online. (This was also 4 years ago so policies may have changed).

After following up, I was called in for an interview. Took place at a branch in an office, with both the supervisor and Manager of Customer Service. Ensure you talk about customer-facing positions when possible. They hire based on attitude and willingness to learn - all the technical stuff can be learned on the job!

Interview Questions
    • Mostly behavioural questions. I was asked about a time I led a team and failed. What would I do differently?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Scotiabank.

two interviews: First is on the phone and goes over job experience, behavioral examples from previous positions. (Describe a situation when..) Second interview is in person. They want to make sure you are a good fit personality wise. Be prepared for an extensive background check. The in person was with two managers, one of which will probably be yours. Weird question was asking if you would ever go sky diving. Also... they like when you are positive about Scotiabank, like their advertisements. They are very positive in the office.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation you had to give someone bad news and how you dealt with it   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

As it has been a long time since last time I was intereviewed. I do not recall all the details. As I recall, it was a very professional and very pleasant process.

Co-Op Student Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Scotiabank in October 2014.

Contact by the Campus Recruitment Specialist to let me know I had been selected by the hiring manager for an interview. Emailed me 20 minutes later with timings for the interview. When I gave times that worked, he sent back confirmation with the name of the hiring manager conducting the interview, and the location. When I arrived, there was no receptionist, so wasn't clear where exactly to wait. An employee saw me and took my to a place to wait. The current Co-op student came and got me, and took me to the hiring manager's office where they both conducted the interview. Questions were pretty standard, nothing too difficult. No technical testing. Questions such as favourite classes and why, take me through your resume, idea management style, and some behavioural questions, ie. tell me a time when you had a conflict and how you handled it, tell me a time where you had conflicting priorities, tell me a time when you exceeded expectations.

Equity Research Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Scotiabank in October 2014.

3 Stages: Meeting with HR --> Technical Test --> Meeting with Analyst

Make sure you understand your specialization (i.e. Infrastructure), and be prepared to talk about how you can contribute to the team.

Typical HR questions about resume; why you would be a good fit, and how you add value to the team. Questions about past accomplishments. Behavioural based questions are also asked (i.e. describe a time in your past when you faced an issue and how did you resolve it?)

GRM Associate - Quantitative Modeling Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Scotiabank.

Applied through campus recruitment. HR was quick with the turnaround, 2 rounds of interviews completed within 3-4 weeks from application deadline. Group-interviews held on-site in Toronto. The interviewers were enthusiastic and willing to help if you strayed from their intended discussion.

Interview Questions
    • Define risk management. How would you manage risk in the context of {Equities, FX, Interest Rates}. Lots of behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Global Risk Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Scotiabank.

1st round of interviews

Behavioral questions:
    Why this company?
    Why this role?
    Why do you think you are a good fit?
    WHat is your concept of risk?
    Tell me about a situation where you managed a lack of cooperation in your team.

Practice behavioral questions, speak slowly, breath, structure your answer in your mind, read about risk management and financial ratios important when evaluating loans.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation when you managed organizational change.   Answer Question