Scotiabank

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Manager

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Scotiabank.

Interview Details – Behavior and technical. No HR interviews.

Interview Question – write a code with Java.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Scotiabank in January 2010.

Interview Details – Very professional and what you would expect from a reputable financial institution

Interview Question – Why accept a demotion for my initial role.   Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Scotiabank in July 2010.

Interview Details – Simple interview with 50 percent soft questions to determine fit and outline the details of the role and 50 percent skill testing/problem solving questions.

Interview Question – All questions were easy. Mostly math related. Easy quant questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No real negotiations for entry level quant job.

Very Difficult Interview

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Scotiabank in October 2011.

Interview Details – I had a telephonic interview with the HR. Then there was an interview with the Director and a VP for about an hour. Then the process took a turn in the third round when there was a panel of 5 SVPs and a director who interviewed me for 45 Minutes. and a rotating interview with 3 Senior managers continued outside the panel room where the rest of the 3 candidates were being interviewed. The interview with the 3 Sr. Managers were for an hour each and they probed and tested every little detail on the resume and then cross verified with the others. But at no point did it feel uncomfortable as they were very nice. After I cleared this round, I had another 1:1 with their Senior Most SVP where she wanted to make sure that I would stay around with the bank and not leave after an year or so.

Interview Question – What do you think about the Euro crisis and how do you think it will impact the world? What should be the steps the bank should take to mitigate the risk?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated upwards to 25% more than the original offer and some extra benefits and finally signed the contract after 36 days from the first telephonic call! Banks usually do not negotiate this hard but I had 3 competing offers and I guess they really liked me. I would suggest that someone review the salary market and play on their strengths. Also, please be very honest in your expectations because everyone in the process is very intelligent, otherwise they would not be sitting across the table from you.

Worked for Scotiabank? Contribute to the Community!