Scotiabank

Updated Oct 2, 2014

3.5

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Personal Banking Officer Trainee Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Scotiabank.

I started by applying online and was contacted within about a week by an HR representative to set up a time for an initial screening interview. It only took about 20-30 minutes and included the standard questions that everyone should expect, "Why do you want to work for us", "Strengths and weaknesses", "Tell us about your experience" and that sort of thing.
After that interview, she immediately let me know that she would be sending me an aptitude test and further questions to fill out and gave me a few days leeway to do it at a convenient time. Simple stuff, just be honest.
Once I submitted my responses, she called me almost immediately - like an hour after - and asked to set up a second interview time with her. We set it up for the following week. This one was totally behavioural based questions. "Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a customer or coworker", "Tell me about a difficult situation", "Tell me about an achievement in the workplace you are proud of" are three of the six that I remember. I was told before we hung up that she really liked my responses and was going to set up the third and final interview with a branch manager. Second interview took about 40 minutes.
The position I was interviewing for was across the province and they normally like the final interview to be in person, but they were very helpful in making accommodations for me and I had a conference call with two branch managers instead. The third interview started with a basic, "Tell us about yourself" and then transitioned into a situational interview. "What would you do if you were exceeding sales targets, but the branch you were working for was struggling?", "What would you do if you knew a customer was giving you false information?", "What would you do if there was a new course or seminar that was mandatory for all employees, but you didn't think that it was necessary for job success?" They really wanted to focus on the emotions you would feel in each situation, and what steps you would take to best handle it. I felt like some of the questions were intentionally meant to be confusing or extreme situations just to see what thought process you would have. They let you answer and go on to the next question, but then come back to a question at the end of the interview. Third interview was about an hour long.

I had the same HR rep do my first two interviews and contact me with an offer after the third one. I really liked this continuity and personalized experience rather than a different person from HR talking to you every step of the way.

Interview Questions
  • Give me an example of a time when you had to build a relationship with the customer in order to improve your business with them.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Scotiabank

Personal Banking Officer Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Scotiabank.

I kept applying to everything and everywhere, and they eventually called me up by my phone to offer me this interview.
    The interview was divided into three different parts. The first two being phone interviews, the last one being an in-person group panel interview. First interview is pretty basic and short, less than twenty minutes for sure, and it mainly goes over the job description and your resume. The second interview is entirely based on behavioural questions, and that lasted about half an hour. The last and final interview, which was probably the most challenging, was a group panel interview, where you would have to interview with three other candidates for the same position. They say it isn't a competition, but you should treat it like that because if they were to hire more than on individual, they would both have to be phenomenal.

The last interview lasted about two hours, and the first hour consisted of the group interview portion. I advise that you place emphasis on your team working skills. They care less about your idea, rather than how you conduct yourselves with a team. DON'T fight, or be demanding, bossy, etc. It won't do you any favours. The second hour you interview with 2 of the 4 interviewers about behavioural questions. They WILL try to stump you, so be prepared. About half way they switch with the other interviewers and continue with the questions.

At the end you are allowed to ask the panel questions. I would suggest asking them a tough question to really throw them off guard, and ADDRESS them by their NAME.

Interview Questions
    • There was no difficult question. I destroyed this interview.   Answer Question
    None.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Scotiabank.

first interview, received an unexpected call with no email, asking if I am free for an interview or would like to scheduled call , mostly asked about my background and sales targets and performance in my last positions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Scotiabank in April 2014.

Applied online and received an email to schedule a phone screening interview with very basic questions such as strengths and weaknesses. Next, a behavioral interview over the phone was scheduled a few days later with questions such as describe a time you had to explain a difficult concept to someone. Then someone else called me a few days later for a panel interview and I am currently waiting for that interview.

Personal Banking Officer Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moncton, NB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moncton, NB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Scotiabank in March 2014.

Long process, 1st phone interview, aptitude test, second phone interview "situational questions" 3rd interview face to face with a branch manager/ another person. General questions- Then 6 situational questions. Then background check, education check, and reference check

Interview Questions
    • What would you if someone came for a loan and gave you false information and you could tell it was false? what steps would you take ?   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Personal Banking Officer Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Scotiabank.

Got a interview with branch manager and manager of PBO. They just ask some general questions. The interview is quite easy. You just need to give example for those questions. You should prepare those question before you going for it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Scotiabank in April 2013.

1, Pre-screen telephone interview. 20min. Ask some general questions with yourself and resume, and basic work eligible, willing to travel for different training location, etc.
    2, Online test, Sales pro. 30 min
    3, Telephone Interview. 30-40 minQuestions about the test, lots of behaviour questions, keeping asking some similar questions and want your examples....after that they directly arrange a inter person interview for you.
    4, Interperson interview with two branch managers. Only 20min...ask some situational questions...really simple... have a great conversation with them and please prepared some good questions to ask them. :)

Interview Questions
    • They keep asking lots of similar behaviour questions, so get examples as many as possible!   Answer Question
    NO negotiation. But they offer a high than expected salary.

Personal Banking Officer Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Scotiabank in September 2009.

Applied online
    received an email to do a personality test
    received a phone call to schedule a phone interview ( behavioral and stress interview)
    Extend or no offer

The interviewer was very mechanical and not skilled at all
    she had very bad communication skills
    she was jumping from one question to the other
    she didn't know much about the position, and what projects the new hire will work on, or what challenges he might face.
    she made me feel very uncomfortable
    she showed little or no interest
    she was aggressive

Interview Questions
    • give example when you had to explain a difficult concept   Answer Question