Scottrade

Average Difficulty
54 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Scottrade.

Interview Details – Applied for the position online through my University's job board in Early November 2008. I got an email from their HR coordinator 2 weeks later and had a short phone interview with her the next day in which she setup an interview with the Branch manager I would be working for, scheduled for the following week.

The interview was scheduled pretty early in the morning before any clients came in. I spent probably 20 minutes talking to the Manager about my background, previous work experience, and college degree. I was pursuing a degree in Economics, and they preferred to consider people with degrees in Finance, economics, and business. After the interview, he had me sit at one of the computers and take a personality test asking questions about how I would respond to certain situations. It was pretty obvious which answers they were looking for, so don't stress out too much about the personality test.

I got a call a week later from HR the next day wanting me to submit my references to them online, in which each reference will be sent an email asking to fill out a short survey about you. A week later HR called again saying the branch manager would like to offer me a position, which I gladly accepted. I needed to go and have my fingerprints taken and bring back to the branch office to be submitted to their HR department which is located in St. Louis. After that cleared they setup my start date. I started a week later just before Christmas.

Interview Question – As an intern you will be required to interact with the clients first before anyone else, and the job requires a lot of explanation about how the account setup and website management works to clients. During the interview, the branch manager asked me to explain step by step how to navigate to clear the cash and cookie on internet explorer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for internship positions. When I worked there they started interns at $11 per hour, with 5% raises every 6 months.

Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Scottrade.

Interview Details – First contacted by a HR rep within a day of applying online. She e-mailed me the next day asking to schedule a 30-45 minute phone interview. I talked to her for only 15 minutes though. She briefly went over the position requirements and hourly wage ($11/hr) then went into the behavioral questions. I wasn't expecting this because it was only the initial interview, but I was able to generate good answers. At the end, she told me we were going to move forward with the process based on my responses to her questions. She asked my availability for an in-person interview the next week with the branch manager. She didn't respond for a few days so I eventually contacted her asking about the interview, considering one of the days I said I was available had already passed. She then set up the interview the day after I contacted her.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not applicable for interns

Fairfax, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Scottrade in August 2012.

Interview Details – The questions were mostly behavioral questions. Followed by a test taken on a computer to test your personality traits and aptitude.

Interview Question – Mostly behavioral, nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation as it is set for Interns.

Intern

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Scottrade in April 2012.

Interview Details – Got cold called and asked a few HR questions, took about 5 minutes. The recruiter scheduled a phone interview with my department for the next week. The phone interview had two parts, one with the recruiter which extended the first call and the other with a few members of my department. It lasted about 60 minutes and was pleasant. They used an online reference checking site that had references rate you numerically. Once offered the job, they sent fingerprint cards to file with FINRA and that was it. A 3 week process in total.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you helped a team succeed... Tell me about a time when [insert broad question here]. There were about ten of such questions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate, was told the salary in the first phase in fact.

Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Scottrade in December 2009.

Interview Details – Hiring process starts with somebody from HR calling you on the phone and asking your brief interview questions. If you can pass the phone interview then you are called into the branch to have a face to face interview with the branch manager. Branch Manger will ask normal interview questions.

Interview Question – Most difficult question was obviously the what is your weakness.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Scottrade.

Interview Details – Phone screening followed by an interview at the branch.

Interview Question – The questions were very straight forward   Answer Question

Henderson, NV

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Scottrade in November 2011.

Interview Details – First interview is over the phone with a recruiter and if your personable you are good to go. Second is in person and depending on the manager being relaxed and personable is the best approach.

Interview Question – Typical questions of name a time where you had to deal with a difficult person, usually not that tough if you come prepared.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Intern position.

Modesto, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Scottrade in June 2012.

Interview Details – First a 15 minute phone interview. Next an in-person interview with Branch Manager. Process took a long time from application to first day of work; approximately 3 months.

Interview Question – Nothing surprising. The firm is focused on customer service, hence much of the process spent evaluating people skills.   Answer Question

Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Scottrade in March 2013.

Interview Details – Initial emails to establish basic information, then very quick phone interview (less than 10 minutes). About 2 weeks before call for interviews. Meet with very cheery recruiting staff for about 1 hour, then another hour with department manager, possible quick (less than 10 minutes) interviews with other senior members of department are possible. Then testing, possible customer service role-play, and final debriefing with recruiter. If hired, there is a 2-day/16 hour on-boarding experience that is standardized for all employees. HR/On-boarding/Recruitment tend to be happy and helpful people but actual departments do not exhibit the same enthusiasm.

Interview Question – Do you feel you are motivated more by your successes or your failures?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Almost no negotiation. Offered a much lower hourly rate than my previous position. Had to negotiate strongly and even float possibility of not accepting the internship just to be even with previous position's low rate.

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Scottrade in July 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview. They were polite and very flexible to my schedule. Will ask why you want to work at Scottrade and do you learn from your successes or failures.

Negotiation Details – N/A

Worked for Scottrade? Contribute to the Community!