Scottrade

2.7

Branch Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Scottrade in March 2014.

I applied for the intern position through my school recruiting website. As a sophomore, I didn't think I'd be considered because internships typically are awarded to more advanced students. Nonetheless, a month or so after I applied (unusual wait), I received an email from a recruiter at Scottrade's home office in St. Louis asking when I was available for a phone interview. I did the interview and it probably lasted about a half hour. Within the week, she wanted to set up an interview with the office manager, so I went in and did that with him at the branch. The interview went well and he said he had a couple more interviews and that I could hear something in the next couple of weeks. I got a call back the next day from the recruiter offering me the job. I accepted and had to go through the usual background check process and all that. It would've taken probably two weeks, but I wanted to finish the month at my old job, so it was about a month between the job offer and when I started.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions came straight from the corporate HR department and there was nothing out of the ordinary. I would just say be prepared with some customer service instances that stand out. Difficult customer, time you went out of your way, etc.   Answer Question

Investment Consultant Interview

A couple phone interviews with HQ, then interview with branch manager

Branch Stockbroker Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Scottrade.

Pretty straight forward - why this role, why you, tell me about a difficult time when, etc..
    A few questions about the market and personal interests about the stock market.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary, mostly customer service questions.   Answer Question

Service Center Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis Park, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis Park, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Scottrade in January 2014.

I applied online. They contacted me by phone and email. Initial interview was by phone with Scottrade recruiter. He was enthusiastic and encouraging, very positive. Our interview went both ways - he interviewed me and I asked a LOT of questions. 2nd interview was on location. Allow extra time to stop at the front desk, show your ID and get a visitor's badge with your ID picture on it. The place where I was interviewed is right by the front entrance. The receptionist there took my coat and offered me water. I was offered water probably 5 times by everyone. There is a 30 minute personality computer test which is pretty painless. Then I met with the recruiter. After that I met with the dept. manager. Entire interview took 2 1/2 hours. I was told it would be 1 1/2 hours. That was ok with me, but be prepared to sit in a little room, answer "how would you handle...." questions and ask questions of your own. A couple of days later I received another call and email from the recruiter asking me to send a survey to my references through "Checkster." I had to enter the names and email addresses of at least 2 supervisors and at least 2 peers. The tutorial recommended to use business email address, but some companies block access to websites like that, so not everyone could access the survey from work.
    >>Significant weirdness is this survey - if you send that out be sure to change the generic outgoing message that goes with it. The generic message makes it sound like you are asking your supervisors and peers to give you an evaluation with strengths and areas needing improvement - it says NOTHING about it being for referral purposes. i found this a bit deceiving and it still doesn't sit right with me.
    After a few days the survey closes and goes to the recruiter who reviews them.
    Next step, recruiter called & emailed asking if I was still interested and gave me a couple of "enticements" like the shift I wanted. That was very encouraging and i fully appreciate all his hard work - he's a good guy. Where the challenge lies (and I am waiting for the next call/email) will be with the salary offer. It's not up to the recruiter or dept. manager to set the salary - rather they have to submit the request to another dept. That other dept. has to validate the information and "value" based upon certain criteria like education, degrees & years of experience. The recruiter really pressed on the points of semi-annual bonuses and 2-3% annual merit raises. It all sound encouraging - I just find it difficult to accept a salary with the promise of a 10% bonus.
    IF I would accept the offer they sent me, the next step would be an FBI background check, fingerprinting and drug test.
    Another point is benefits don't start until the first of the month FOLLOWING 30 days from your start date. Merit raises are annually near your start date.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a call from a client who said "Your software/app caused me to loose $50,000!   Answer Question

Process hasn't yet progressed to an offer. I doubt they will be able to pay what I need, but don't fault them for that. For this department, there are realistic expectations which (from what I can tell so far) appropriately correspond to the pay grade. This is an hourly position, and overtime is required.

Branch Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Scottrade in January 2014.

I applied online and submitted a resume and cover letter. Received a call from a recruiter in St. Louis who asked behavioral questions and asked what my future aspirations were. The recruiter then let me know that he wanted to schedule a in office interview. A week later I had an interview with the branch manger and two investment consultants. They asked basic finance questions regarding the stock market and had me take a short skills test. One week later I got a call saying I got the job, and that they would begin the background check. Somewhat of a long process but well worth the wait.

Interview Questions
    • What can you contribute to our office?
      Why do you want to work here?
      What the did S&P 500 close at yesterday?
        Answer Question
    Non-Negotiable
    $10.50

Branch Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte C H, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte C H, VA

interviewed at Scottrade in January 2014.

I was contacted by HR with a phone interview. If you pass the phone interview you are moved on to an interview with the Branch manager. They both ask pretty basic behavioral questions. Questions like, "What would you do if..." or "Name a time when..." It is a pretty relaxed environment, so just try and stay calm.

EUT Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online – interviewed at Scottrade.

After applying online I was contacted by a recruiter for Scottrade. The individual was very aggressive. He insisted on knowing a hard salary number before scheduling an in person interview and asked repeatedly about my current salary. They also asked a lot of unusual and very personal questions about my current employment and why I was leaving. Fair enough, but I got the distinct impression that I was about to get very low offer. I was also very uncomfortable with the current employment questions since my current employer does know I am interviewing. I ultimately was not comfortable with the company and declined to continue to process.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part for me was finding creative ways to deny answering certain questions multiple times (salary).   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Scottrade.

First contacted by a HR rep within a day of applying online. She e-mailed me the next day asking to schedule a 30-45 minute phone interview. I talked to her for only 15 minutes though. She briefly went over the position requirements and hourly wage ($11/hr) then went into the behavioral questions. I wasn't expecting this because it was only the initial interview, but I was able to generate good answers. At the end, she told me we were going to move forward with the process based on my responses to her questions. She asked my availability for an in-person interview the next week with the branch manager. She didn't respond for a few days so I eventually contacted her asking about the interview, considering one of the days I said I was available had already passed. She then set up the interview the day after I contacted her.

Not applicable for interns

Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Scottrade in November 2013.

There were no technical questions. All questions centered around soft skills. I felt very comfortable talking with my interviewers. Although, the nature of the questions made me nervous about stepping into a role that may have serious interpersonal problems once I arrive. Everyone was very nice however. Everyone raved about the dedication of the employees and the work-life balance. That was tempered by questions about how I felt about working overtime. I had good feelings about the people but was unsure about how my role would have been supported by the business and felt it wasn't the right time for me to move. I asked for 30% more than the top edge of the salary posted for the position as a result.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question... How do you get someone who has had a personal loss (sounded like a death on the team) to regain previous productivity levels. Eek! Again, as a current manager I have dealt with this exact situation but I wouldn't want to step into that situation at a new company right away and have to deal with that.   Answer Question

Investment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheyenne, WY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheyenne, WY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Scottrade.

HR reps are typical of most companies. Their job is to recruit, so they have all sorts of fluff and bull that they try to feed you, but they lack a comprehensive understanding of the positions that they are attempting to recruit for. They are incredibly slow to fill a position, even when there is an immediate need to fill the job and qualified applicants seeking the position. The interviews are scripted, and the HR reps and managers never stray from the script.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions are incredibly basic. None are challenging.   Answer Question
    The HR reps have a grid that they are not allowed to think outside of. If they have made you an offer, it's because they want you. You will not be competing against a line of applications, so if you accept the job, let them know up front that you know Scottrade pays below the industry average for all positions and that if you are going to work for them, that they are going to have to meet your demands for a salary, not the other way around. Spend time researching what pay scale someone with your experience gets paid at other firms so that you have real numbers to back up your salary demands. This company feels their way through everything, but does not think their way through it. If you know what you should be paid and are not just guessing, you will have the upper hand in the negotiation phase.