Scottrade

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Scottrade.

Interview Details – Applied for the position online through my University's job board in Early November 2008. I got an email from their HR coordinator 2 weeks later and had a short phone interview with her the next day in which she setup an interview with the Branch manager I would be working for, scheduled for the following week.

The interview was scheduled pretty early in the morning before any clients came in. I spent probably 20 minutes talking to the Manager about my background, previous work experience, and college degree. I was pursuing a degree in Economics, and they preferred to consider people with degrees in Finance, economics, and business. After the interview, he had me sit at one of the computers and take a personality test asking questions about how I would respond to certain situations. It was pretty obvious which answers they were looking for, so don't stress out too much about the personality test.

I got a call a week later from HR the next day wanting me to submit my references to them online, in which each reference will be sent an email asking to fill out a short survey about you. A week later HR called again saying the branch manager would like to offer me a position, which I gladly accepted. I needed to go and have my fingerprints taken and bring back to the branch office to be submitted to their HR department which is located in St. Louis. After that cleared they setup my start date. I started a week later just before Christmas.

Interview Question – As an intern you will be required to interact with the clients first before anyone else, and the job requires a lot of explanation about how the account setup and website management works to clients. During the interview, the branch manager asked me to explain step by step how to navigate to clear the cash and cookie on internet explorer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for internship positions. When I worked there they started interns at $11 per hour, with 5% raises every 6 months.

Vice President Interview

Vice President
Saint Louis, MO

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Scottrade in December 2012.

Interview Details – Multiple interviews with HR via phone and then in-person; multiple visits to HQ to visit with a large fraction of the executive committee

Interview Question – what would you do in the 1st 100 days?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – A range was thrown out at the very beginning phone interview stage and I was asked whether I could accept in that range

Systems Analyst Interview

Systems Analyst
Kirkwood, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Scottrade in October 2013.

Interview Details – Went through a testing period for knowledge over material vital to the job.

Interview Question – How to use Vectors.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was sent a letter detailing salary, benefits,etc.

Investment Consultant Interview

Investment Consultant

Interviewed at Scottrade

Interview Details – A couple phone interviews with HQ, then interview with branch manager

Interview Question – Not many were unexpected, laid back interviews   Answer Question

Service Center Technician Interview

Service Center Technician
Saint Louis Park, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Scottrade in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online. They contacted me by phone and email. Initial interview was by phone with Scottrade recruiter. He was enthusiastic and encouraging, very positive. Our interview went both ways - he interviewed me and I asked a LOT of questions. 2nd interview was on location. Allow extra time to stop at the front desk, show your ID and get a visitor's badge with your ID picture on it. The place where I was interviewed is right by the front entrance. The receptionist there took my coat and offered me water. I was offered water probably 5 times by everyone. There is a 30 minute personality computer test which is pretty painless. Then I met with the recruiter. After that I met with the dept. manager. Entire interview took 2 1/2 hours. I was told it would be 1 1/2 hours. That was ok with me, but be prepared to sit in a little room, answer "how would you handle...." questions and ask questions of your own. A couple of days later I received another call and email from the recruiter asking me to send a survey to my references through "Checkster." I had to enter the names and email addresses of at least 2 supervisors and at least 2 peers. The tutorial recommended to use business email address, but some companies block access to websites like that, so not everyone could access the survey from work.
>>Significant weirdness is this survey - if you send that out be sure to change the generic outgoing message that goes with it. The generic message makes it sound like you are asking your supervisors and peers to give you an evaluation with strengths and areas needing improvement - it says NOTHING about it being for referral purposes. i found this a bit deceiving and it still doesn't sit right with me.
After a few days the survey closes and goes to the recruiter who reviews them.
Next step, recruiter called & emailed asking if I was still interested and gave me a couple of "enticements" like the shift I wanted. That was very encouraging and i fully appreciate all his hard work - he's a good guy. Where the challenge lies (and I am waiting for the next call/email) will be with the salary offer. It's not up to the recruiter or dept. manager to set the salary - rather they have to submit the request to another dept. That other dept. has to validate the information and "value" based upon certain criteria like education, degrees & years of experience. The recruiter really pressed on the points of semi-annual bonuses and 2-3% annual merit raises. It all sound encouraging - I just find it difficult to accept a salary with the promise of a 10% bonus.
IF I would accept the offer they sent me, the next step would be an FBI background check, fingerprinting and drug test.
Another point is benefits don't start until the first of the month FOLLOWING 30 days from your start date. Merit raises are annually near your start date.

Interview Question – How would you handle a call from a client who said "Your software/app caused me to loose $50,000!   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Process hasn't yet progressed to an offer. I doubt they will be able to pay what I need, but don't fault them for that. For this department, there are realistic expectations which (from what I can tell so far) appropriately correspond to the pay grade. This is an hourly position, and overtime is required.

Branch Stockbroker Interview

Branch Stockbroker

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Scottrade.

Interview Details – Pretty straight forward - why this role, why you, tell me about a difficult time when, etc..
A few questions about the market and personal interests about the stock market.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary, mostly customer service questions.   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Scottrade in January 2010.

Interview Details – Two interviews the first was more focused on previous experiences and description of my soft-skills.

Interview Question – No real difficult questions basic questions like: How do you handle difficult people? How do you express stress?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Scottrade is not very generous on vacation, nor will they negotiate around that area. Ask for a signing bonus, because that is your only negotiating tool.

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Scottrade in November 2013.

Interview Details – There were no technical questions. All questions centered around soft skills. I felt very comfortable talking with my interviewers. Although, the nature of the questions made me nervous about stepping into a role that may have serious interpersonal problems once I arrive. Everyone was very nice however. Everyone raved about the dedication of the employees and the work-life balance. That was tempered by questions about how I felt about working overtime. I had good feelings about the people but was unsure about how my role would have been supported by the business and felt it wasn't the right time for me to move. I asked for 30% more than the top edge of the salary posted for the position as a result.

Interview Question – Unexpected question... How do you get someone who has had a personal loss (sounded like a death on the team) to regain previous productivity levels. Eek! Again, as a current manager I have dealt with this exact situation but I wouldn't want to step into that situation at a new company right away and have to deal with that.   Answer Question

EUT Engineer Interview

EUT Engineer
Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and interviewed at Scottrade.

Interview Details – After applying online I was contacted by a recruiter for Scottrade. The individual was very aggressive. He insisted on knowing a hard salary number before scheduling an in person interview and asked repeatedly about my current salary. They also asked a lot of unusual and very personal questions about my current employment and why I was leaving. Fair enough, but I got the distinct impression that I was about to get very low offer. I was also very uncomfortable with the current employment questions since my current employer does know I am interviewing. I ultimately was not comfortable with the company and declined to continue to process.

Interview Question – The most difficult part for me was finding creative ways to deny answering certain questions multiple times (salary).   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Scottrade.

Interview Details – First contacted by a HR rep within a day of applying online. She e-mailed me the next day asking to schedule a 30-45 minute phone interview. I talked to her for only 15 minutes though. She briefly went over the position requirements and hourly wage ($11/hr) then went into the behavioral questions. I wasn't expecting this because it was only the initial interview, but I was able to generate good answers. At the end, she told me we were going to move forward with the process based on my responses to her questions. She asked my availability for an in-person interview the next week with the branch manager. She didn't respond for a few days so I eventually contacted her asking about the interview, considering one of the days I said I was available had already passed. She then set up the interview the day after I contacted her.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question