Scottrade Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2015

2.7

Investment Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Scottrade.

Interview

I submitted a resume and application online. I was then contacted by a recruiter and had a phone interview. The next step was meeting with Branch Manager. There was a long delay in the process until I was hired two months after the final interview. The background check and reference checking by Checkster took 10 days before I was accepted.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

My base was based on years of experience.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Scottrade (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Applied for the position online through my University's job board in Early November 2008. I got an email from their HR coordinator 2 weeks later and had a short phone interview with her the next day in which she setup an interview with the Branch manager I would be working for, scheduled for the following week.

The interview was scheduled pretty early in the morning before any clients came in. I spent probably 20 minutes talking to the Manager about my background, previous work experience, and college degree. I was pursuing a degree in Economics, and they preferred to consider people with degrees in Finance, economics, and business. After the interview, he had me sit at one of the computers and take a personality test asking questions about how I would respond to certain situations. It was pretty obvious which answers they were looking for, so don't stress out too much about the personality test.

I got a call a week later from HR the next day wanting me to submit my references to them online, in which each reference will be sent an email asking to fill out a short survey about you. A week later HR called again saying the branch manager would like to offer me a position, which I gladly accepted. I needed to go and have my fingerprints taken and bring back to the branch office to be submitted to their HR department which is located in St. Louis. After that cleared they setup my start date. I started a week later just before Christmas.

Interview Questions

• As an intern you will be required to interact with the clients first before anyone else, and the job requires a lot of explanation about how the account setup and website management works to clients. During the interview, the branch manager asked me to explain step by step how to navigate to clear the cash and cookie on internet explorer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation for internship positions. When I worked there they started interns at $11 per hour, with 5% raises every 6 months.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Scottrade (Memphis, TN) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied for the intern position through my school recruiting website. As a sophomore, I didn't think I'd be considered because internships typically are awarded to more advanced students. Nonetheless, a month or so after I applied (unusual wait), I received an email from a recruiter at Scottrade's home office in St. Louis asking when I was available for a phone interview. I did the interview and it probably lasted about a half hour. Within the week, she wanted to set up an interview with the office manager, so I went in and did that with him at the branch. The interview went well and he said he had a couple more interviews and that I could hear something in the next couple of weeks. I got a call back the next day from the recruiter offering me the job. I accepted and had to go through the usual background check process and all that. It would've taken probably two weeks, but I wanted to finish the month at my old job, so it was about a month between the job offer and when I started.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions came straight from the corporate HR department and there was nothing out of the ordinary. I would just say be prepared with some customer service instances that stand out. Difficult customer, time you went out of your way, etc.   Answer Question

Branch Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Scottrade in February 2014.

Interview

I went on two interviews with the company and they were very professional and quick with the process. They were interested in my goals and outcome. They asked about my schooling and if I would want to stay on after I graduate. The whole process took about 2 weeks before I got the offer.

Interview Questions

• They asked what my ultimate goal was   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations, offered what I like. A paying internship.

Investment Consultant Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Scottrade (Orange, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Your first interview is a phone interview with a recruiter, then you do a phone interview or in person interview with the Branch Manager. Before the interview, you may be required to take a personality test which helps them in determining your sales approach. Different managers are looking for different personality styles. So if you don't get hired by one or two managers, you may still be desirable for someone else. I wasn't hired with the first branch office I applied because the manager preferred someone else. However, the branch manager from the 2nd office I applied, hired me with only internship experience with someone whom had 15yrs of licensed experiences in the industry. Keep trying with various companies.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be in this business? Why is your why?   Answer Question

Investment Consultant Interview

Interview

A couple phone interviews with HQ, then interview with branch manager

Branch Stockbroker Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Scottrade.

Interview

Pretty straight forward - why this role, why you, tell me about a difficult time when, etc..
    A few questions about the market and personal interests about the stock market.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary, mostly customer service questions.   Answer Question

Service Center Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis Park, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Scottrade (Saint Louis Park, MN) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied online. They contacted me by phone and email. Initial interview was by phone with Scottrade recruiter. He was enthusiastic and encouraging, very positive. Our interview went both ways - he interviewed me and I asked a LOT of questions. 2nd interview was on location. Allow extra time to stop at the front desk, show your ID and get a visitor's badge with your ID picture on it. The place where I was interviewed is right by the front entrance. The receptionist there took my coat and offered me water. I was offered water probably 5 times by everyone. There is a 30 minute personality computer test which is pretty painless. Then I met with the recruiter. After that I met with the dept. manager. Entire interview took 2 1/2 hours. I was told it would be 1 1/2 hours. That was ok with me, but be prepared to sit in a little room, answer "how would you handle...." questions and ask questions of your own. A couple of days later I received another call and email from the recruiter asking me to send a survey to my references through "Checkster." I had to enter the names and email addresses of at least 2 supervisors and at least 2 peers. The tutorial recommended to use business email address, but some companies block access to websites like that, so not everyone could access the survey from work.
    >>Significant weirdness is this survey - if you send that out be sure to change the generic outgoing message that goes with it. The generic message makes it sound like you are asking your supervisors and peers to give you an evaluation with strengths and areas needing improvement - it says NOTHING about it being for referral purposes. i found this a bit deceiving and it still doesn't sit right with me.
    After a few days the survey closes and goes to the recruiter who reviews them.
    Next step, recruiter called & emailed asking if I was still interested and gave me a couple of "enticements" like the shift I wanted. That was very encouraging and i fully appreciate all his hard work - he's a good guy. Where the challenge lies (and I am waiting for the next call/email) will be with the salary offer. It's not up to the recruiter or dept. manager to set the salary - rather they have to submit the request to another dept. That other dept. has to validate the information and "value" based upon certain criteria like education, degrees & years of experience. The recruiter really pressed on the points of semi-annual bonuses and 2-3% annual merit raises. It all sound encouraging - I just find it difficult to accept a salary with the promise of a 10% bonus.
    IF I would accept the offer they sent me, the next step would be an FBI background check, fingerprinting and drug test.
    Another point is benefits don't start until the first of the month FOLLOWING 30 days from your start date. Merit raises are annually near your start date.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a call from a client who said "Your software/app caused me to loose $50,000!   Answer Question

Process hasn't yet progressed to an offer. I doubt they will be able to pay what I need, but don't fault them for that. For this department, there are realistic expectations which (from what I can tell so far) appropriately correspond to the pay grade. This is an hourly position, and overtime is required.

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte C H, VA

Application

interviewed at Scottrade (Charlotte C H, VA) in January 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by HR with a phone interview. If you pass the phone interview you are moved on to an interview with the Branch manager. They both ask pretty basic behavioral questions. Questions like, "What would you do if..." or "Name a time when..." It is a pretty relaxed environment, so just try and stay calm.

Branch Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Scottrade (Seattle, WA) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied online and submitted a resume and cover letter. Received a call from a recruiter in St. Louis who asked behavioral questions and asked what my future aspirations were. The recruiter then let me know that he wanted to schedule a in office interview. A week later I had an interview with the branch manger and two investment consultants. They asked basic finance questions regarding the stock market and had me take a short skills test. One week later I got a call saying I got the job, and that they would begin the background check. Somewhat of a long process but well worth the wait.

Interview Questions

• What can you contribute to our office?
      Why do you want to work here?
      What the did S&P 500 close at yesterday?

Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-Negotiable
    $10.50