Scotts Miracle-Gro

40 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro in November 2012.

Interview Details – easy bro i mean easy like like like like pie

Sales Manager

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview asking basic questions about self and pass employment. Second interview I was flown out to area applied for had to prepare a business development powerpoint and defend it. Also had to explain how I would successfully run my territory business.

Interview Question – Two days before the interview they send you a prompt and ask you to develop a business model off of a little information provided in email.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They made me an offer and told me about perks and relocation. It was a fair offer so I accepted immediately.

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied online - interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro in August 2009.

Interview Details – Several steps
Phone screening, then colleague interview then supervisor then senior management

Interview Question – What would you change about the company?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little negotiation

Supply Chain Intern Interview

Supply Chain Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro.

Interview Details – Went through a panel interview with 3 purchasing managers. Went over my resume and some basic supply chain questions.Such as" Can you talk more about the...(related to your past experience)" One question: Why Scotts?

Interview Question – Really not that unexpected questions. Be confident and communicate with them.   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Outside Sales Representative
Waukesha, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro in March 2013.

Interview Details – It was one interview and if they liked what you brought to the table, they hired you on the spot. Basically you were paid $500 base salary a week plus commission plus overtime. You had to go through a drug test. Where I interviewed was a new location for Scotts Lawnservice and they were desperate to staff an entire office.

Interview Question – Have you had experience going door to door?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Only to find out that the overtime pay was only 1/2 of your weekly salary. I thought they would be different from other competitors, but they are not. I came to the conclusion that I do not recommend to anyone to work in the lawn care industry.

Senior Analyst Interview

Senior Analyst
Marysville, OH

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro in December 2011.

Interview Details – I went through an initial phone screen and then was asked to come in for several hours of interviews. I met with several managers, one person who would have been a peer and the director of the area.

Interview consisted of the standard behavioral based questions and probing questions into past experiences. Everyone was very open and honest about their experience at Scotts.

Interview Question – Nothing really stood out as a very difficult question.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Several times during the interview process they brought up how many hours people work during the day. As someone who has worked in escalating positions at a Fortune 200 company and have many peers at other large companies, I feel like I have a pretty good idea of how long people work and was is considered normal but the people I interviewed with pushed several times about the long hours. I tried to probe to get more information about what caused the long work days--lots of meetings, lots of report-generation, not having the right resources, but really couldn't get a handle on what was causing the long days.

Personally I value a results-based culture that focuses on outputs, not inputs and also believe that work-life balance is important. In the end, I didn't think it was a good fit.

Director Interview

Director

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro in January 2009.

Interview Details – Long interview process with several phone interviews. 3 in person interviews.

Interview Question – Typical interview questions. No specific question stood out.   Answer Question

Mc Interview

Mc
Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro in April 2011.

Interview Details – show up in casual clothing (khakis and button shirt)

Interview Question – very easy entry level questions...don't be nervous.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – confortable and easy going

Charlotte, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro in January 2012.

Interview Details – I had 8 different interviews prior to being offered the position. Two of interviews were in person and the others were via the phone. Once I was offered the position the background check took three weeks.

Interview Question – Why have I been unemployed for so long?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Take the offer or not.

Philadelphia, PA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro in February 2011.

Interview Details – They question you on everything from your first job to your current status and future goals. A great company with an interesting business model for the field sales teams. The Sales Managers all work together to be successful. They want motivated and hungry people who aren't afraid to work 70 hours a week during the 100 days of hell in busy season.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate tuition reimbursement immediately instead of a trial offer. The salary and bonus was a huge improvement so who was I to argue.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Scotts Miracle-Gro