Scotts Miracle-Gro Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2015

2.6

Finance Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro.

Interview

Great HR recruiting department. Quick and good communication. 2 interviews, first on the college campus and second at the headquarters. The first was with 2 people and simple, the second was 3 interviews with 2 people each. Pretty standard interview process. I was extended an offer at the end of the headquarter interviews.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you were working on a big project and you fell short of your deadline.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Given that I am an intern, there was no negotiation besides when I had to respond by.

Interview

Meet with the sales manager and he/she gives details of the job. Asks very basic questions and then offers you the position. Awesome company that treats their employees excellent. Room for growth and to have an enjoyable work experience. This job is awesome.

Door II Door Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro (Columbus, OH) in March 2014.

Interview

1 Interview. Must pass drug test and background check

Interview Questions

• why are you a good fit for this job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

none

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marysville, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro (Marysville, OH) in February 2014.

Interview

Online application via Taleo - although Taleo is a big name in the industry the application process is slow and took at least 30 minutes to complete. Phone screen by a recruiter took about 30 minutes, followed by initial phone call with manager to ask technical questions. Panel onsite interview followed with a long grueling day of back to back interviews.

Interview Questions

• typical behavioral questions until one IT manager started grilling me about pay and salary. He seemed to have a concern about my pay, which I had discussed with the recruiter? Deep dive into what I wanted pay wise rather than a discussion of what I would do in the job or what I had done - weird and inappropriate since I was not talking about an offer.   Answer Question

Was concerned about working for the money obsessed IT manager.

Scotts Miracle-Gro Response

Aug 18, 2014 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your feedback on the online experience we are working to make the candidate application experience easier and faster.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Elgin, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro (Elgin, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

Easy, Called to come interview three days in a row. Simple questions. Each time I interviewed it was simple questions. One time I sat with a sales rep and listened to their calls. During this time because no one seemed to be home, I didn't really see much.

Interview Questions

• Asked about management styles, talking with people, customer service skills. Very easy interview questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Middletown, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro (Middletown, PA) in February 2014.

Interview

Very easy interview all you need is a good head on your shoulders

Merchandiser/Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro (Chicago, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

Interviews are sourced through a third party. They mainly want to know if you have a car and are willing to work flexible hours and up to 40 hours a week at the specified rate in your area. Can you lift 50 lbs or more and manage your time well? Are you honest and able to learn quickly? Yes? Then you may be a good candidate for this position

Interview Questions

• They asked me three times if I was sure I wanted the position. I think they thought I was overqualified.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro.

Interview

Answered an ad in CareerBuilder and was called for an interview. Interviewed wit the VP of Sales personally; later with the Regional President via phone. Received a call the next day offering the position.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to leave the current employer I was with.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation needed; I gave them a salary and that is what they paid me.

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marysville, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro (Marysville, OH) in August 2013.

Interview

It was Very fast, every week there was a talk, first-phone screening, 2nd with Team leader, 3rd-on site interview, 4th week-result

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro.

Interview

Initial phone interview asking basic questions about self and pass employment. Second interview I was flown out to area applied for had to prepare a business development powerpoint and defend it. Also had to explain how I would successfully run my territory business.

Interview Questions

• Two days before the interview they send you a prompt and ask you to develop a business model off of a little information provided in email.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They made me an offer and told me about perks and relocation. It was a fair offer so I accepted immediately.