Scotts Miracle-Gro Interview Questions in Marysville, OH

2.8

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marysville, OH

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro in February 2014.

Online application via Taleo - although Taleo is a big name in the industry the application process is slow and took at least 30 minutes to complete. Phone screen by a recruiter took about 30 minutes, followed by initial phone call with manager to ask technical questions. Panel onsite interview followed with a long grueling day of back to back interviews.

Interview Questions
    • typical behavioral questions until one IT manager started grilling me about pay and salary. He seemed to have a concern about my pay, which I had discussed with the recruiter? Deep dive into what I wanted pay wise rather than a discussion of what I would do in the job or what I had done - weird and inappropriate since I was not talking about an offer.   Answer Question

Was concerned about working for the money obsessed IT manager.

Scotts Miracle-Gro Response

Aug 18, 2014Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your feedback on the online experience we are working to make the candidate application experience easier and faster.

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marysville, OH

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro in August 2013.

It was Very fast, every week there was a talk, first-phone screening, 2nd with Team leader, 3rd-on site interview, 4th week-result

Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marysville, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro in January 2012.

HR Interview followed by either panel interviews or one-on-one sessions with various members of the Marketing organization. There is no real formal process and each interviewer is different. Some go through the resume and background while others ask questions specifically tied to your ability to perform the functions of the job.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared for case study questions to test your thinking skills.   Answer Question
    The company does not do a lot of negotiating. They were firm on the offer and bonus plan but did increase the vacation allowance from two to three weeks.

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marysville, OH

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro in December 2011.

I went through an initial phone screen and then was asked to come in for several hours of interviews. I met with several managers, one person who would have been a peer and the director of the area.

Interview consisted of the standard behavioral based questions and probing questions into past experiences. Everyone was very open and honest about their experience at Scotts.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really stood out as a very difficult question.   Answer Question

Several times during the interview process they brought up how many hours people work during the day. As someone who has worked in escalating positions at a Fortune 200 company and have many peers at other large companies, I feel like I have a pretty good idea of how long people work and was is considered normal but the people I interviewed with pushed several times about the long hours. I tried to probe to get more information about what caused the long work days--lots of meetings, lots of report-generation, not having the right resources, but really couldn't get a handle on what was causing the long days.

Personally I value a results-based culture that focuses on outputs, not inputs and also believe that work-life balance is important. In the end, I didn't think it was a good fit.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marysville, OH

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro in December 2010.

HR Phone interview
    Phone interview with leadership
    1:1 interviews

Brand Manager Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marysville, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro in January 2010.

This was an MBA-level internship, so as far as that goes it was average. Very few case questions. Most questions were behavioral such as questions about leadership, initiative, and selling ideas to management. I was invited to a second round interview with 2 people at the same time. I was asked some questions about where I saw myself in 15 years, the company structure of previous employers, and other questions meant to "throw me off". They threw me off enough to not get an offer.

Brand Finance Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marysville, OH

After talking with representatives at a University Career fair, I received and invitation to interview. The process was nothing out of the ordinary and consisted of a couple general interview questions ( i.e. tell me about your self) and behaviorally based questions. There were two representatives from the finance office in the room and they alternated questions. The environment was relatively warm and welcoming.

Although I felt I presented myself well, I was called back for the second round of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were presented with a large amount of information and you had to simplify it.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marysville, OH

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro in January 2010.

5 interviews (one on one) but only spaced 30-40 minutes apart; this made for a very rushed process, and limited time to ask questions.

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marysville, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Scotts Miracle-Gro in January 2009.

A recruiter contacted me about the position. The job description wasn't very accurate since they were redefining the role. I was able to complete a phone interview with the manager the day after i stated i would be willing to interview with the company. The interview was relaxed and informative on both ends. The interviewer did not choose canned questions and instead dug into the details of my resume and current position. I heard back the next day that they wanted to set up on onsite interview. i already had plans that was going to take me out of town for a week and they were accommidating and scheduled the onsite interview for the following week. The interview was a panel interview with several managers from the various departments and 2 HR reps. I got a plant tour and a job offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • Do you feel you'll be able to do the job by being out of school for 3 years.   View Answers (2)
    I found that I didn't have to negotiate. I was given a range upfront, in which i would not have accepted the lower end, but the offer came in at the max rate. I would have felt comfortable nego. for it, if required.

Worked for Scotts Miracle-Gro? Contribute to the Community!