Screwfix Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at Screwfix

Customer Services Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Screwfix.

Interview

It was funny to watch them play good cop bad cop only it came across as soft manager rude manager. Rude manager didn't even shake hands or show me how to get out at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time you felt under pressure at work?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Screwfix (Birmingham, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

I began the hiring process by applying online and attaching my CV. within a few days I received an email asking me to phone up and arrange an interview. I phoned up on the Monday and a friendly lady performed a phone interview with me. I was asked what experience I had; what job skills I had, and why I wanted to work for Screwfix. I was then invited to a recruitment day/group interview a few days later. I was looking forward to this as it is rare for companies to do this and; as an autistic person, I find this environment better for showing what I can do in the role. The group interview was fantastic. We were separated into small groups at a table with 2 managers per table observing. We then had to discuss among ourselves for 10 minutes why we wanted to work for Screwfix, and then had 5 minutes to do present this information to the managers. I ended up taking the lead on our table as I had the most experience, and this left a good impression on the managers. The second stage of the day I was a one to one interview with one of these managers. I was asked why I wanted to work for Screwfix, how my experience has benefited me, what the term "the customer is always right means to me." Finally we were given an information sheet listing 3 different power drills and their specifications; plus additional stock items that could be upsold. We were then tasked with selling this item to a manager, who would tell us his needs and we could select the best drill for him. With over 13 years experience in this type of work I found all of this very easy. 2 days later I received a phone call the hiring manager at the new store. He had not been able to meet me at the group interview as he was sitting at a different table, but the feedback that he had received had been fantastic. So he invited me to a one to one formal interview with himself in order for him to be able to decide. I had the interview 3 days later. the manager seemed like a genuinely nice guy, and it was revealed to me that I had been selected for an interview for the trade counter (I had applied for the sales assistant role, the trade counter would mean selling to industry professionals immediately). This was a far more formal interview. I dressed in a suit and the trade counter supervisor sat in to make notes. The questions were the usual questions for this type of interview; "Why do you want to work for Screwfix; what is your availability; what is your experience" and it was a little upsetting having to have to re-relate all of this information that I had now related 3 times over, but I tried my best. Alas as with all formal interviews for an autistic person this interview did not go well. As with all of my interviews I felt sorry for the manager as you could tell that he couldn't quite put his finger on what was wrong with me. I had stated in my CV that I was autistic, and stated it again at this interview, but I know that few hiring managers know what to expect when they hear the term Asperger's Syndrome. I was 2 days later declined for the job. I did request feedback on the interview but none was given, although the manager very kindly offered to keep my CV on file in case other jobs came up in the future. I am going to rate this interview as positive, and easy. Had I not been autistic and had better control over the personality aspect of a formal interview then I feel that I would have been offered a position. The regional manager, HR manager, and all store managers at the group interview were really friendly and encouraging, and the store manager seemed like a genuinely nice guy. It's not his fault that he had received a lot of positive feedback from me in one setting, only to see something different in the formal interview setting. If your not Autistic then this should be a good company to apply for, and seems like a great place to work. If you are autistic then try your best to show what you can do at the group interview where you will be in the best position to showcase how you would act in a retail environment. Hopefully you will be able to impress the right people, as Screwfix genuinely seems like a place where you'd be given a chance.

Interview Questions

• Can you give an example of how you've made a customers experience better?   1 Answer

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woodford, London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Screwfix (Woodford, London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

I had applied online (total jobs) and less than a week later I received a phone call asking if I was free to do a 10 minute phone interview. The phone interview was fairly easy, asking about the background of Screwfix, do I know how the ordering system works and why I want the job. After the interview if you're successful they emailed me within a few days to let me know I was successful and that they want me to go to a face-to-face interview. In this email they had sent attachments of a reference sheet (you will need to bring it with you!) Background information of Screwfix (I would do your homework) and location of where the interview takes place. On the day I was dressed very smart but the room was mixed with smart to smartish casual. The age ranged from 18-40. There was about 20 of us and at the time 10 positions going since it was for a brand new store. They spilt us into groups of 4 and got us to do a group presentation about the background, benefits, whats good about the job etc. You will be presenting back into your small groups with the Screwfix mentor. They will be looking for contribution and confidence! After that we had an individual interview asking easy questions about why do you want this job and name a time you did this type questions. To end the day we did some role play with a customer wanting to buy something but you had to ask the right questions to find out what he wants. Overall it was a good day.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you showed great customer service?   1 Answer
    • Name a time where you've had to work under pressure? how did you cope?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I think Screwfix would be a good job to have with decent perks.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chingford, England (UK)

Application

I interviewed at Screwfix (Chingford, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied on-line went through a brief telephone interview. Turned up to 3 hour group assessment and there was about 16-20 other people. The staff were actually very rude whilst claiming its such a great place to work. First the was some long-winded presentation about the company which was uncalled for it was all on the internet. Then a table activity and presentation at the end. Then a one to one role play in the corner. Finally a 1-1 interview. The staff were so hostile mine was about 2 minutes long whilst others who fit the demographic were 20 minutes. Supposed to hear back a week later even if unsuccessful but still heard nothing

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Yeovil, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Screwfix (Yeovil, England (UK)) in July 2011.

Interview

Firstly, I had a screening phone interview. I then had an initial interview with HR and the head of department Finally, I had a second interview which was a presentation interview with my line manager and head of department.

Interview Questions

• They asked the standard interview questions. Tell us about a time when you increased sales? Tell about a time when a project didn't go to plan? why? what could you have done differently? what have you learnt?   Answer Question