Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego

Updated May 29, 2015

2.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego

Student Assistant IV Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego.

Interview

Respond to posting online. Contacted by one of the lab's staff member. Took a quick tour of the lab and were asked some fairly straight forward questions about interests in the lab and personal interests.

Aquarium Gift Shop Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego (San Diego, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Had a nice interview outside with typical questions. I ended up not getting an offer because my student schedule was too restrictive. It was nice to be able to go inside and look at the aquariums and fish while waiting for my interview to begin.

Student Assistant IV Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego.

Interview

- emailed resume to (future) boss - boss arranges meeting for interview - asked about programming experience during interview - asked if I would be capable of designing a software system while I'm here <-- very much appreciated, he went straight to the point instead of jumping around loopholes of how good am I with programming, etc.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

BYA (Aquarium Instructor) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego (San Diego, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

resume and 2-3 personal contacts; through UCSD job listings/postings; University clears you first before Aquarium receives your resumes and calls for an interview; interview is usually done with the Education Coordinator and/or Specialists which are the people above you

Interview Questions

• Design a game or activity for kids on the spot.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation - they told me how the sliding scale salary would work and what contracts I would sign through the University

IT/Mac Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego (La Jolla, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

Applied through Port Triton, got an email for me to meet at their offices. The interview consisted of 4 people interviewing me, one asking mainly about networking experience, but others mostly about Mac experience. Asked me general questions about what applications I used the most often, which applications were in Adobe CS Suite, how would I go about troubleshooting a theoretical problem with a customer, what would I do in case of hard disk failure etc.

Interview Questions

• A user gets an error when trying to open a corrupt Word document, how do you go about solving this?   Answer Question

Photographer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego in September 2008.

Interview

I emailed the professor in charge of the project after seeing the position posted online. I sent in my resume and some examples of my photography. I was given an interview, and was told that out of over 70 applicants, I was one of five candidates chosen for an interview. During the interview, they asked about my photography experience, then showed me around the lab to make sure I was comfortable with everything. A few days later, they emailed me and said I got the job, along with one other candidate.