Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego

Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego Interview Questions

2.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego

Student Assistant IV Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego.

Respond to posting online. Contacted by one of the lab's staff member. Took a quick tour of the lab and were asked some fairly straight forward questions about interests in the lab and personal interests.

Student Assistant IV Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego.

- emailed resume to (future) boss
    - boss arranges meeting for interview
    - asked about programming experience during interview
    - asked if I would be capable of designing a software system while I'm here <-- very much appreciated, he went straight to the point instead of jumping around loopholes of how good am I with programming, etc.

No negotiation

IT/Mac Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego in November 2009.

Applied through Port Triton, got an email for me to meet at their offices. The interview consisted of 4 people interviewing me, one asking mainly about networking experience, but others mostly about Mac experience. Asked me general questions about what applications I used the most often, which applications were in Adobe CS Suite, how would I go about troubleshooting a theoretical problem with a customer, what would I do in case of hard disk failure etc.

Interview Questions
    • A user gets an error when trying to open a corrupt Word document, how do you go about solving this?   Answer Question

Photographer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Scripps Institute of Oceanography UC San Diego in September 2008.

I emailed the professor in charge of the project after seeing the position posted online. I sent in my resume and some examples of my photography. I was given an interview, and was told that out of over 70 applicants, I was one of five candidates chosen for an interview. During the interview, they asked about my photography experience, then showed me around the lab to make sure I was comfortable with everything. A few days later, they emailed me and said I got the job, along with one other candidate.