ScriptSave Interview Questions

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ScriptSave (Tucson, AZ).

Interview

The interview process consisted of meetings with the IT Director, Project Manager, HR, and a panel of Software Developers. Before the panel interview, I was given a set of requirements for a building a client website. The requirements consisted of some screenshots (welcome page, data entry, etc.) and general instructions. In the panel interview, I was asked to describe how I would approach the design of each tier (HTML/JavaScript/CSS, ASP.Net/C#, SQL). Specific questions were asked regarding field validation (jQuery), master pages, database design, and SQL commands. General questions about OO programming (Inheritance, polymorhpism, abstract classes), ASP .Net, C#, and web services were also asked. The general questions are not too difficult for a developer with a few years of experience, but might weed out some of the under qualified.

I found the development team to be very nice, professional, and enthusiastic about their jobs and the company. This is definitely an ASP .Net/C#/JavaScript shop.

The only negative part of the interview is that I had to come back just to meet the Software Manager, who was not available the first time I was there.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at ScriptSave (Tucson, AZ) in June 2012.

Interview

Phone screening with IT Director and then on site interview in Tucson, AZ. I was given a different schedule than the hiring manager (IT Director) which led to an hour of sitting in the lobby. Originally I was told the interview would be 3 and a half hours with the option to go to 4 hours if we needed.

The IT Director was a nice guy and seemed knowledgeable. The IT Director and I chatted for 15 minutes about the position and his expectations. I felt confident in my abilities and was interested in the position. I spent most of this time asking questions about the software they wrote and the process they went through to test and then deploy.

During the group interview with the software developers I quickly realized that I didn't want the job. The questions were straight out of a college book or most likely a google search. I've never been a big fan of not answering questions however I must have said I don't know to 15 questions. It wasnt that I didnt know any of the answers as much as I stopped listening to the questions. The questions reminded my college exam questions where the professor takes the first sentence of a paragraph, removes the key word, and asks you to fill in the blank. I was blown away with how horrible the interviewer was. After 2 or 3 ridiculous questions I quickly decided this wasn't the team for me. Another interviewer handed me a database schema and began drilling me on query syntax which I felt was very effective at weeding out weak candidates. I actually liked the schema questions he asked so much that Im planning to use it in the future when hiring software engineers at my current employer. The panel interview ended with time for a single question before the team left.

I was then introduced to the CIO and the head of HR. I spent 30 minutes discussing the company and getting a better feel for the position.

The interview wrapped up in 2 hours. Two weeks after the interview I received an email stating another candidate had accepted the position. If I was offered the position I would have turned it down.

Interview Questions

• What three words are used to describe object oriented code.   1 Answer

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ScriptSave (Tucson, AZ) in December 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiting agency and I entered the interview process for a Development Manager position at Scriptsave starting in late November of 2011. I had a phone screen, followed by two in-person panel interviews with the hiring manager, the development team and a few other executives. The interview process took almost two months, but given the holiday season and travel schedules it was not much of a surprise. The interviews were fairly standard and they didn't really throw any curveballs at me that I hadn't heard before or were otherwise unprepared for. The interviews went very well and I was extremely interested in the position and the company overall. In early January 2012 I was informed by the recruiter that I Sricptsave was impressed with me, but there was another candidate that barely nudged me out. I was definitely disappointed that I did not get the position, but it was not the first and won’t be the last position I don’t get.

Fast forward to May 22, 2012 and I get contacted by the original recruiting agency. He tells me that the other candidate did not work out, had turned in his notice, and asked if I was still interested in the position. I was told they only wanted me to go to a quick lunch with the hiring manager as they did not want to re-open the position and go through the process again. Basically sounds like I've got the job! I was very excited about the opportunity and was practically packing my bags! Lunch was scheduled for the following week on May 30.

The day before the lunch, May 29 the recruiter forwards me an email from the HR representative at Scriptsave saying the CEO has called an urgent meeting and our lunch needs to be rescheduled. No problem, things happen, it gets rescheduled for June 12. The day before the June 12 lunch I get another email forwarded from the HR rep saying they are cancelling again as they now want to re-evaluate the position and would come back in 2 weeks, June 26. So two last minute cancellations in a row, I’m starting to have a bad feeling about things.

On July 16, 2012, having been five weeks with no word from Scriptsave, I contacted the recruiter and told him that I was no longer interested in that, or any other position at Scriptsave. I am extremely disappointed in the lack of professional courtesy and disrespect that I was shown by Scriptsave, but given that, and the recent company reviews, perhaps it’s a good thing I’m not working there.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ScriptSave (Tucson, AZ) in January 2011.

Interview

HR screening, then phone interview with hiring manager.

In person interview included one-on-one's plus panel. Questions were specific as to experience and how to handle different situations.

Everyone was very friendly.

Negotiation

salary

No Position Title Interview

Interview

I should have read the Glassdoor reviews before interviewing. It's obvious that the 5 star reviews were posted by the company in an effort to turn around their bad reputation. The interview process is long and they don't utilize good phone screening up front.

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at ScriptSave in September 2010.

Interview

Good interview process, maybe a few too many people for a panel interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain some of our failures and what you would have done differently   Answer Question