Seagate Technology

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern III - Software Developer Interview

Intern III - Software Developer
Bloomington, MN

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Seagate Technology in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied pretty late into the semester and took them a month to get back to me for an interview. I got a small phone interview with HR to discuss about school, experience, and quick background. Then I got two face to face interview the next week.

The first interview was with the same HR person. He asked me the same questions along with a quick overview on my resume. He asked me very high-level technical questions, nothing hard at all. Later told me it was just a warm-up interview to get my brain thinking and my facts straight. Very nice guy!

The second interview was with the two hiring managers. The interview was straight forward; asked a LOT of behavioral questions, and light technical questions. It seems like they focused more on your attitude, personality, and how well can you fit in with their team rather than your skills.

Got a response the next week.

Interview Question – There wasn't any difficult questions, a lot of it was behavioral questions. Be prepared to use the STAR technique.
The most technical question I got from them (not-so technical in my opinion) was "How do you change permissions of a folder in Linux OS?"
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – No Negotiations; based on year in school

SpinStand Tester Engineer Interview

SpinStand Tester Engineer
Bloomington, MN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Seagate Technology in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was emailed by a recruiter to apply for new grad positions, so I did so. I was called shortly after that for a phone interview then asked to come in for an in-person interview. When I got there, the boss of the department I was interviewing for took me out to lunch and we met another colleague of his there. After lunch, I had two 30-minute interviews with people within the department and a final HR type interview with the recruiter that called me in the beginning.

Interview Question – There weren't many technical questions. A lot of HR type questions about professional communication/relationships and how I could contribute given the position.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I, instead, accepted a job at another company that fit my interests better. Nothing personal.

Intern Interview

Intern
Bloomington, MN

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Seagate Technology.

Interview Details – Applied online. Got a call for a phone interview. The interview mainly consisted questions about my projects. Some non technical questions such as have you ever had a conflict with your project mates, how did you solve it, etc.

Interview Question – Not many unexpected questions, almost questions were based on the projects on my resume.   Answer Question

Senior Development Engineer Interview

Senior Development Engineer
Bloomington, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Seagate Technology in May 2012.

Interview Details – 1. Application: Applied online during March last week.
2. First Contact: Contacted me through email asking for a phone interview (April last week)
3. Phone interview: Had phone interview with my manager. Did really well. It was just a initial screen on what I have done and whether it related to their work. (May 1st week)
4. Scheduled on-site interview during May 2nd week.
5. On-site interview: It was a marathon (from 8-5 pm!), though an easy one. It also included an hour-long presentation. Had to talk with ~ 12 technical people (some 1:1, others 2:1). Remember, most people here have PhDs, so it is going to be technical, but nothing to worry about. Just know your stuff (most of us do; we spent 4 yrs on it!), be able to explain to others with expertise in other disciplines, and be able relate your work to theirs. This required preparation beforehand and reading up on HAMR technology for next generation hard discs.(May 3rd week)
6. Job offer call: June 1st week. I asked for a couple of days to decide. They were okay with it. I accepted the position soon after.

Tips:
Most of them get hired through employee referral. So try to find someone there who can at least get you an interview.
Stay calm and composed. They are more friendlier than you would expect.

Interview Question – Behavioral interview questions! Just a few though. For example, how do handle conflict? What would you do if a team member isn't completing his work? Tell me 2 weaknesses, not just one.   Answer Question

Wafer Sustaining Engineer Interview

Wafer Sustaining Engineer
Bloomington, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Seagate Technology in July 2012.

Interview Details – Was contacted by HR and then scheduled for an on site interview, met with the engineering manager and 2 other engineers. The interview was casual, they just asked me about myself and showed me around. A week later they called me agin to meet with another engineering manager, again she asked me casual question from my resume. All these people were so casual an friendly.

Interview Question – Did you ever have any conflict with a coworker?   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
Bloomington, MN

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Seagate Technology in March 2012.

Interview Details – The phone interview consists of a group of people. Most of questions are from your resume. The questions are not difficult and I felt that they just want to know more about you from the interview. The on-site interview is very easy. There is no format, no difficult questions. They randomly talked with you and asked you easy questions. People are nice ans smart. They like to talk with you in mid-west styles. It seems to me that they just try to see whether you can fit the team well.

Interview Question – What if you conflict with your team members?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The salary is what I expected, so I did not negotiate.

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Bloomington, MN

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Seagate Technology in January 2009.

Interview Details – technically good people.

Interview Question – difficult situation handling   View Answer

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
Bloomington, MN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Seagate Technology in May 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a Seagate recruiter and submitted my resume. A couple days later, I was contacted by a Seagate manager with whom I talked on the phone for close to an hour. He sounded enthusiastic about me, but I didn't hear back for about 10 days, at which point an HR rep asked me to come out for an interview three days later. I called Seagate's travel agent and they arranged flight, car, and a comfortable hotel right near their location.

I was asked to prepare an hour-long research presentation, and given a precise schedule of my interview (9am - 3pm) several days ahead of time.

My interview consisted of my hour-long presentation and Q&A, then about 8 one-on-one meetings with members of the group I would join, from young engineers who had been there 2-3 years to a VP. My initial impression was that most of the group members were "midwestern" and low-key, but they were extremely smart and asked very good questions. They explained to me some of their group's organization and basic challenges and roles. I was asked to talk about my background and personality in detail, but there were no gotcha or trick questions, a noticeable difference from my other tech interviews. They seemed pleased with my background and resume.

I was taken out to lunch for an hour with the manager. My interviewers were friendly in terms of offering me coffee and bathroom breaks. Individual interviews started and ended on time.

My final interview was with HR. They asked me about salary expectations and other offers. I was a little bit coy, but estimated one other forthcoming offer, and told them that I was very favorably impressed with Seagate and enthusiastic about the job. A few days later, they decided to match my competing offer.

Interview Question – What kinds of electronic design software tools have you used?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – This was a very tough call for me, but ultimately I decided that another offer was a slightly better fit for me in terms of personality and location, as well as long-term prospects.

Worked for Seagate Technology? Contribute to the Community!