Seagate Technology

2.9

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Firmware Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shakopee, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Seagate Technology.

I passed on my resume to a director in firmware engineering at the career fair and I got a call back from him in a couple of days. Initially there was a phone interview in which he asked me a few questions about my projects and work experience and then a few technical questions. Then he scheduled for an onsite interview. There were 6 rounds - first three were with 2 Engineering Managers/directors for each round. They drilled a lot about my past work experience and projects (one should be thorough with each line in the resume). One round was technical assessment in C (standard C questions, code snippets and expected output, macros, pointers, arrays, structures, storage class specifiers). Next round was with a couple of technical people who catch you off guard with difficult questions and try to push you out of your comfort zone. Last round was with HR.

They not only test your technical skills but also your over all personality. There were a lot of behavioral questions and they expect honest answers and a positive attitude.

Interview Questions
    • Some unexpected questions about one of my academic projects   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Seagate Technology in September 2013.

Online application- Telephonic Round

Intern III - Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Seagate Technology in May 2013.

I applied pretty late into the semester and took them a month to get back to me for an interview. I got a small phone interview with HR to discuss about school, experience, and quick background. Then I got two face to face interview the next week.

The first interview was with the same HR person. He asked me the same questions along with a quick overview on my resume. He asked me very high-level technical questions, nothing hard at all. Later told me it was just a warm-up interview to get my brain thinking and my facts straight. Very nice guy!

The second interview was with the two hiring managers. The interview was straight forward; asked a LOT of behavioral questions, and light technical questions. It seems like they focused more on your attitude, personality, and how well can you fit in with their team rather than your skills.

Got a response the next week.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't any difficult questions, a lot of it was behavioral questions. Be prepared to use the STAR technique.
      The most technical question I got from them (not-so technical in my opinion) was "How do you change permissions of a folder in Linux OS?"

View Answer
    No Negotiations; based on year in school

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Seagate Technology.

Applied online. Got a call for a phone interview. The interview mainly consisted questions about my projects. Some non technical questions such as have you ever had a conflict with your project mates, how did you solve it, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Not many unexpected questions, almost questions were based on the projects on my resume.   Answer Question

SpinStand Tester Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Seagate Technology in January 2013.

I was emailed by a recruiter to apply for new grad positions, so I did so. I was called shortly after that for a phone interview then asked to come in for an in-person interview. When I got there, the boss of the department I was interviewing for took me out to lunch and we met another colleague of his there. After lunch, I had two 30-minute interviews with people within the department and a final HR type interview with the recruiter that called me in the beginning.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't many technical questions. A lot of HR type questions about professional communication/relationships and how I could contribute given the position.   View Answer

I, instead, accepted a job at another company that fit my interests better. Nothing personal.

Senior Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Seagate Technology.

I posted my resume on line. The company human resource personel called me and arranged for me to fly in to Minneapolis.

Went through a full day interveiw witl all usual interviewers: the hiring mananger, director, and engineers. There was a written test of C with the usual C questions: memory usage, ISR, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't have any unexpected questions. All are quite routine.   Answer Question
    That was my first job offer in US so I did not negotiate. I think the offer was fair.

Read Write Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shakopee, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Seagate Technology.

Got the interview call from a job fair in my college. Seagate paid for travel expenses for going onsite. The interview was well planned and organized. But they took more than a month to make a decision.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of behavioral, hardware design and a few basic programming questions were asked.   Answer Question

Wafer Sustaining Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Seagate Technology in July 2012.

Was contacted by HR and then scheduled for an on site interview, met with the engineering manager and 2 other engineers. The interview was casual, they just asked me about myself and showed me around. A week later they called me agin to meet with another engineering manager, again she asked me casual question from my resume. All these people were so casual an friendly.

Senior Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Seagate Technology in May 2012.

1. Application: Applied online during March last week.
    2. First Contact: Contacted me through email asking for a phone interview (April last week)
    3. Phone interview: Had phone interview with my manager. Did really well. It was just a initial screen on what I have done and whether it related to their work. (May 1st week)
    4. Scheduled on-site interview during May 2nd week.
    5. On-site interview: It was a marathon (from 8-5 pm!), though an easy one. It also included an hour-long presentation. Had to talk with ~ 12 technical people (some 1:1, others 2:1). Remember, most people here have PhDs, so it is going to be technical, but nothing to worry about. Just know your stuff (most of us do; we spent 4 yrs on it!), be able to explain to others with expertise in other disciplines, and be able relate your work to theirs. This required preparation beforehand and reading up on HAMR technology for next generation hard discs.(May 3rd week)
    6. Job offer call: June 1st week. I asked for a couple of days to decide. They were okay with it. I accepted the position soon after.

Tips:
    Most of them get hired through employee referral. So try to find someone there who can at least get you an interview.
    Stay calm and composed. They are more friendlier than you would expect.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral interview questions! Just a few though. For example, how do handle conflict? What would you do if a team member isn't completing his work? Tell me 2 weaknesses, not just one.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Seagate Technology in April 2012.

Typical. Interview with 3-4 people. Hiring Manager, Director, 1-2 colleagues, and an HR representative

Interview Questions
    • Sometimes there is a proof question to an engineering theory. Depends on if the interviewer wants to show off their technical skills.   Answer Question
    Seagate does not negotiate. If they do for some reason, it is within 10% of offer.