Seagate Technology

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern III - Software Developer Interview

Intern III - Software Developer
Bloomington, MN

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Seagate Technology in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied pretty late into the semester and took them a month to get back to me for an interview. I got a small phone interview with HR to discuss about school, experience, and quick background. Then I got two face to face interview the next week.

The first interview was with the same HR person. He asked me the same questions along with a quick overview on my resume. He asked me very high-level technical questions, nothing hard at all. Later told me it was just a warm-up interview to get my brain thinking and my facts straight. Very nice guy!

The second interview was with the two hiring managers. The interview was straight forward; asked a LOT of behavioral questions, and light technical questions. It seems like they focused more on your attitude, personality, and how well can you fit in with their team rather than your skills.

Got a response the next week.

Interview Question – There wasn't any difficult questions, a lot of it was behavioral questions. Be prepared to use the STAR technique.
The most technical question I got from them (not-so technical in my opinion) was "How do you change permissions of a folder in Linux OS?"
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – No Negotiations; based on year in school

Test Engineer Interview

Test Engineer
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Seagate Technology in September 2013.

Interview Details – Online application- Telephonic Round

Interview Question – Hard core software questions   Answer Question

Firmware Engineer II Interview

Firmware Engineer II
Shakopee, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Seagate Technology.

Interview Details – I passed on my resume to a director in firmware engineering at the career fair and I got a call back from him in a couple of days. Initially there was a phone interview in which he asked me a few questions about my projects and work experience and then a few technical questions. Then he scheduled for an onsite interview. There were 6 rounds - first three were with 2 Engineering Managers/directors for each round. They drilled a lot about my past work experience and projects (one should be thorough with each line in the resume). One round was technical assessment in C (standard C questions, code snippets and expected output, macros, pointers, arrays, structures, storage class specifiers). Next round was with a couple of technical people who catch you off guard with difficult questions and try to push you out of your comfort zone. Last round was with HR.

They not only test your technical skills but also your over all personality. There were a lot of behavioral questions and they expect honest answers and a positive attitude.

Interview Question – Some unexpected questions about one of my academic projects   Answer Question

Firmware Engineer Interview

Firmware Engineer
Shakopee, MN

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Seagate Technology in May 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process is very typical. Phone interview followed by on site interview. The only thing unexpected would be the C written test. There will be a bunch of questions on macros, function calls, static/volatile variables etc. Prepare well for this . And be ready to talk about anything on your resume related to embedded systems. You will be asked to explain that on a whiteboard , several times to several engineers.

Interview Question – Expected most of the questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I joined as a fresh grad. So no negotiation . But Salary offered matched my expectation. This combined with the fact that MN is an inexpensive place to live made it easier for me to take a decision.

Firmware Engineer Interview

Firmware Engineer
Shakopee, MN

I interviewed at Seagate Technology in November 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring process was relatively smooth and painless. I found a req, got an email from the hiring manager within a week, and then we had a 30 minute phone interview. From there, he arranged an onsite interview. The onsite interview was a bit more tedious. I interviewed with the Director, 3 Managers, HR Staff, 2 recent grads and 2 of their top engineers. I also had to take a written hour long test (I felt like I was in college). Overall, the questions were geared to find out who I was and what I was doing at my previous company. The tough questions came towards the end that kinda put me out of my comfort zone. I really liked the people I've interviewed with and I asked a lot of questions. From there, about a week and a half of back and forth of emails with the HR, I found out that they were going to extend an offer. Oh, and they don't base their reasoning for hire just on technical expertise, it's only a 1/5th of their overall selection process.

Interview Question – Hardest part of the interview was the impromptu technical questions. Not necessarily hard but kinda puts you out of your comfort zone. I haven't done any Firmware development for Hard Drive/ SSD components so everything was *new* to me. Overall, I did "OK".   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was their final offer, no room to wiggle. Only advice I can give out is if you like your current work place, possibly use it as leverage to get a bit more pay, otherwise ... it is what it is.

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Seagate Technology in April 2012.

Interview Details – Typical. Interview with 3-4 people. Hiring Manager, Director, 1-2 colleagues, and an HR representative

Interview Question – Sometimes there is a proof question to an engineering theory. Depends on if the interviewer wants to show off their technical skills.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Seagate does not negotiate. If they do for some reason, it is within 10% of offer.

SpinStand Tester Engineer Interview

SpinStand Tester Engineer
Bloomington, MN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Seagate Technology in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was emailed by a recruiter to apply for new grad positions, so I did so. I was called shortly after that for a phone interview then asked to come in for an in-person interview. When I got there, the boss of the department I was interviewing for took me out to lunch and we met another colleague of his there. After lunch, I had two 30-minute interviews with people within the department and a final HR type interview with the recruiter that called me in the beginning.

Interview Question – There weren't many technical questions. A lot of HR type questions about professional communication/relationships and how I could contribute given the position.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I, instead, accepted a job at another company that fit my interests better. Nothing personal.

Intern Interview

Intern
Bloomington, MN

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Seagate Technology.

Interview Details – Applied online. Got a call for a phone interview. The interview mainly consisted questions about my projects. Some non technical questions such as have you ever had a conflict with your project mates, how did you solve it, etc.

Interview Question – Not many unexpected questions, almost questions were based on the projects on my resume.   Answer Question

Senior Development Engineer Interview

Senior Development Engineer
Bloomington, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Seagate Technology in May 2012.

Interview Details – 1. Application: Applied online during March last week.
2. First Contact: Contacted me through email asking for a phone interview (April last week)
3. Phone interview: Had phone interview with my manager. Did really well. It was just a initial screen on what I have done and whether it related to their work. (May 1st week)
4. Scheduled on-site interview during May 2nd week.
5. On-site interview: It was a marathon (from 8-5 pm!), though an easy one. It also included an hour-long presentation. Had to talk with ~ 12 technical people (some 1:1, others 2:1). Remember, most people here have PhDs, so it is going to be technical, but nothing to worry about. Just know your stuff (most of us do; we spent 4 yrs on it!), be able to explain to others with expertise in other disciplines, and be able relate your work to theirs. This required preparation beforehand and reading up on HAMR technology for next generation hard discs.(May 3rd week)
6. Job offer call: June 1st week. I asked for a couple of days to decide. They were okay with it. I accepted the position soon after.

Tips:
Most of them get hired through employee referral. So try to find someone there who can at least get you an interview.
Stay calm and composed. They are more friendlier than you would expect.

Interview Question – Behavioral interview questions! Just a few though. For example, how do handle conflict? What would you do if a team member isn't completing his work? Tell me 2 weaknesses, not just one.   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Seagate Technology in March 2011.

Interview Details – phone interview first, and the office onsite interview. Was required to do a 45min presentations, and spend the whole day talk with people in the group. They are really nice and professional. The traveling itinerary was arranged well.

Interview Question – Nothing very special. Just general question and some technical questions.   Answer Question

Worked for Seagate Technology? Contribute to the Community!