Sears

Getting the Interview

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – I had 3 interviews. My first interview was on the phone with a woman in HR. SHe called me back about 5 days later and I came in for another interview with 2 buyers. My last interview was with the Divisional Merchandise Manager. Everyone I interviewed with was so friendly and I could tell that's what the atmosphere would be like.

Interview Question – I was prepared for what they would ask me regarding my past job history. I had little buying experience prior and wondering and what they would ask me about how I would be fit for the position instead of someone else... but I am confident in my qualifications so I told them what I thought the day in the life of a buyer would be like and what I'd be excited to do.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for a higher pay only because typically businesses lowball you in this economy and I was turned down for the extra 3,000 a year, but Sears pays VERY well in my opinion so I was so happy with the amount I did end up accepting. And if we met quota we get a 5% bonus.

Assistant Buyer
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Sears in July 2011.

Interview Details – 2 hour online testing, 2 person panel interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – was able to negotiate, just ask for what you want then take it from there.

Assistant Buyer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – I was contacted by their corporate recruiter. She screened me through a phone interview. The next day we spoke and she set up flight/hotel and rental car and emailed my itinerary. The process moved quickly. I arrived at corporate, spoke with the recruiter and she took me through who I would be interviewing with and left me to fill out a mountain of paperwork - equal to new hire paperwork with other companies. After paperwork completion, I was escorted to a conference room where I sat for 45 minutes before the first interviewer came in. I introduced myself to the interviewer who asked "what brings you in today"? I proceeded to interview with two others. There was an obvious communication breakdown between recruiting and management. No one except the recruiter knew what I was interviewing for and didn't even have copies of my resume. When the interviews were complete, the recruiter was not to be found. I sat and waited to be escorted out. I finally found reception and let them know I was leaving. I emailed and phoned the recruiter, but never heard back.

Interview Question – One my third interview I was asked who the governor of the state corporate resided was. I replied I knew who the governor of the state in which I live is. I was asked how I save money and was given a multiple choice. I was asked what I did with my free time.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sears

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sears Assistant Buyer interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sears employees and interview candidates.