Sears

Getting the Interview

19 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Diego, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Sears in April 2013.

Interview Details – 2 interviews, one with store manager and one with district manager.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had an upset customer. What did you do and how did you take care of them   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room for negotitiation

Very Easy Interview

Austin, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sears in November 2009.

Interview Details – Walked into store, filled out application on kiosk, talked to HR manager who sat me down with the store manager and was hired

Interview Question – Walk around the store prior to the interview, you may be asked to provide a shoppers opinion   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – When I applied it was for Appliance sales, ful commission

Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sears in April 2010.

Interview Details – Interview with a Store Manager then the District Manager. Be prepared to be as detailed as possible in your explanations. The questions were pretty basic, "Tell me a time when you...", utilize prior experiences as much as possible. Whether work related, school related, or personal related. Be prepared for questions about your answer. Do your research on the company and the format your applying for. Visit locations. Be honest. Be energetic. Use words that align to the company overall vision.

Interview Question – I wouldn't say it was a cake walk interview, but I wasn't unprepared. I had taken a course in interviews, which helped me prepare. The questions asked were pretty basic to what I had learned and prepared for. Just make sure you can elaborate on your answers. Try to make the questions more of a discussion, it will impress the interviewer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Be confident. Come prepared with details on why you think you deserve that amount. What projects did you work on? What were there outcomes? Why do you think you deserve that amount?

And whatever you do... DON'T GIVE A RANGE!!! Always keep that to yourself and give your high end of your range first. Let them come back to you. You could be applying for a position that would've paid 55k but you said "45k to 55k".... What do you think they will give you? 45k.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sears in February 2013.

Interview Details – First had a pre-screen interview with a store manager. Next step was an interview with the district manager. After that process I had a phone interview with another assistant manager and finally had a business case interview with a fourth person. It was a long process, but all in all it wasn't too bad.

Interview Question – How would you handle working in this environment being an outside hire.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Given offer from recruiter over e-mail. No negotiation needed because I told them what kind of salary range I was looking for prior to offer.

Brick, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sears in May 2012.

Interview Details – Learn the company that you are looking to work for, recap all your experiences and the training that you have done. Know the goals that have set for yourself short term and long term. always know 3 things to describe yourself as well as 3 things that your employer would describe you. have had phone interviews first leading into 2-3 face to face interviews. Perception is everything always put your best foot forward.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Pay scale was under what currently making but would change in months to proceed

Spokane, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears in February 2012.

Interview Details – Interview on the phone with store manager even though we are located in same town

Interview Question – How do you hold yourself accountable to get tasks done?   Answer Question

Boston, MA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears in May 2010.

Interview Details – During the interview, you will likely be asked if you have any questions. Interviewers expect you to have questions about the company, the group you would be working in and the job that you are interviewing for. Here are some sample questions to ask during an interview. Which questions you actually ask depends on the tone of the interview as well as the level of the person interviewing you. I have split the questions into groups based on who they would be aimed at: hiring manager, peer, and HR/Recruiter. You don’t want to bombard the interviewer with dozens of questions, but you do want to have an accurate picture of the position, as well as the company and group culture(s). At the end of each interview, ask if it is okay to follow up with them later if you have further questions. This is an excellent time to ask for a business card, which will also allow you to send each interviewer a thank you letter after the interviews are over.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a co-worker who wasn't doing his/her fair share of the work. What did you do and what was the outcome?   View Answer
  • Have you worked with someone you didn't like? If so, how did you handle it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiated salary

Holyoke, MA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Sears in February 2010.

Interview Details – The store manager called me a few days after I applied for the position. She immediately scheduled an interview for me, and I was offered the position on spot. A few days later, she called me with a salary offer, and I accepted.

Interview Question – What were you most unsuccessful with in your past job? Why? What did you do to overcome your struggle?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Glendale, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sears in October 2009.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume to the Sears hiring website. 2 days later I got called in for an interview. I went in for the first interview, told I would get a call back. I got a call a few days later and had my second interview. This is when I got hired. Took a total of about 7 days from submitting my resume to being hired. It was fast, great interviews, and the district manager went into a lot of details.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Added an extra $10,000 a year to pay. Tell the district manager about your experience, and how much you think you are worth.

Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sears in April 2008.

Interview Details – I applied online. After I was filtered through other applicants, I was sent a plane ticket to Hoffman Estates. I flew in the night before, and was put up in a hotel. The shuttle picked up a small group of us. We had breakfast, then went through two one on one interviews; in addition, we had a group exercise where we debated with each other and tried to accomplish a goal given to us by the own proctors- obviously there was more to the exercise than just accomplishing our the personal agenda given to us.

Interview Question – If you were a cartoon character, who would you be.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was given an offer. I countered with a 10 percent increase. They never bit on it, and it was a take it or leave it offer.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sears

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sears Assistant Manager interview questions and advice. All 19 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sears employees and interview candidates.