Sears Assistant Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

2.8

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sears.

Interview

I filled out the application online, I was sent one assessment and received an email saying I had passed and to take another. After that, I received an email inviting me for a "virtual interview" online where you record you answers to questions and its sent to the HR manager. After that came a phone interview with a recruiter, followed up by an interview with SM and DM.. a few days later I was contacted with an offer

Interview Questions

• Name a time you solved an old problem with a new solution..   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.. I didn't attempt it..

Other Interview Reviews for Sears

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sears.

Interview

Very easy, do some research on the company before the interview. Typical questions; why would you be good for this job? The process does take forever because they use a third party hiring service that is very slow and overloaded with requisitions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Tell me what you want. Don't ask for less then 45k for the ASM job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sears (San Diego, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

2 interviews, one with store manager and one with district manager.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had an upset customer. What did you do and how did you take care of them   Answer Question

Negotiation

No room for negotitiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sears (Seattle, WA) in February 2013.

Interview

First had a pre-screen interview with a store manager. Next step was an interview with the district manager. After that process I had a phone interview with another assistant manager and finally had a business case interview with a fourth person. It was a long process, but all in all it wasn't too bad.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle working in this environment being an outside hire.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Given offer from recruiter over e-mail. No negotiation needed because I told them what kind of salary range I was looking for prior to offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sears (Atlanta, GA) in February 2013.

Interview

Lack of real world knowledge. Overall okay but seemed like and yes found oyt later they only know hiw Sears does it. No real training. 1 - 1 interview no script or in-depth questions. More off the cuff style. NOT ALLOT OF PEOPLE ALLYING TO SEARS! !

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sears (Tucson, AZ) in June 2012.

Interview

Interviewed with a Store Manager if you are a good fit you will then interview with the District Manager. District Manager will ask you about your weakness and what you excel best at. Explain a time when you had to deal with a difficult situation and what was the outcome What does customer service mean to you.

Interview Questions

• Reviewed Resume and used as template for interview questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Brick, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sears (Brick, NJ) in May 2012.

Interview

Learn the company that you are looking to work for, recap all your experiences and the training that you have done. Know the goals that have set for yourself short term and long term. always know 3 things to describe yourself as well as 3 things that your employer would describe you. have had phone interviews first leading into 2-3 face to face interviews. Perception is everything always put your best foot forward.

Interview Questions

• Give me motivation factors for your team or associates   1 Answer
    • Why should I hire you   1 Answer

Pay scale was under what currently making but would change in months to proceed

Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sears (Spokane, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

Interview on the phone with store manager even though we are located in same town

Interview Questions

• How do you hold yourself accountable to get tasks done?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sears (Boston, MA) in May 2010.

Interview

During the interview, you will likely be asked if you have any questions. Interviewers expect you to have questions about the company, the group you would be working in and the job that you are interviewing for. Here are some sample questions to ask during an interview. Which questions you actually ask depends on the tone of the interview as well as the level of the person interviewing you. I have split the questions into groups based on who they would be aimed at: hiring manager, peer, and HR/Recruiter. You don’t want to bombard the interviewer with dozens of questions, but you do want to have an accurate picture of the position, as well as the company and group culture(s). At the end of each interview, ask if it is okay to follow up with them later if you have further questions. This is an excellent time to ask for a business card, which will also allow you to send each interviewer a thank you letter after the interviews are over.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a co-worker who wasn't doing his/her fair share of the work. What did you do and what was the outcome?   1 Answer
    • Have you worked with someone you didn't like? If so, how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiated salary

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sears (Saint Louis, MO) in April 2010.

Interview

Interview with a Store Manager then the District Manager. Be prepared to be as detailed as possible in your explanations. The questions were pretty basic, "Tell me a time when you...", utilize prior experiences as much as possible. Whether work related, school related, or personal related. Be prepared for questions about your answer. Do your research on the company and the format your applying for. Visit locations. Be honest. Be energetic. Use words that align to the company overall vision.

Interview Questions

• I wouldn't say it was a cake walk interview, but I wasn't unprepared. I had taken a course in interviews, which helped me prepare. The questions asked were pretty basic to what I had learned and prepared for. Just make sure you can elaborate on your answers. Try to make the questions more of a discussion, it will impress the interviewer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Be confident. Come prepared with details on why you think you deserve that amount. What projects did you work on? What were there outcomes? Why do you think you deserve that amount? And whatever you do... DON'T GIVE A RANGE!!! Always keep that to yourself and give your high end of your range first. Let them come back to you. You could be applying for a position that would've paid 55k but you said "45k to 55k".... What do you think they will give you? 45k.