Sears

Updated Aug 28, 2014

2.8

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sears.

Very easy, do some research on the company before the interview. Typical questions; why would you be good for this job? The process does take forever because they use a third party hiring service that is very slow and overloaded with requisitions.

Interview Questions
Tell me what you want. Don't ask for less then 45k for the ASM job.

Other Interview Reviews for Sears

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Sears in April 2013.

2 interviews, one with store manager and one with district manager.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had an upset customer. What did you do and how did you take care of them   Answer Question
    No room for negotitiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sears in February 2013.

First had a pre-screen interview with a store manager. Next step was an interview with the district manager. After that process I had a phone interview with another assistant manager and finally had a business case interview with a fourth person. It was a long process, but all in all it wasn't too bad.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle working in this environment being an outside hire.   Answer Question
    Given offer from recruiter over e-mail. No negotiation needed because I told them what kind of salary range I was looking for prior to offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brick, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brick, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sears in May 2012.

Learn the company that you are looking to work for, recap all your experiences and the training that you have done. Know the goals that have set for yourself short term and long term. always know 3 things to describe yourself as well as 3 things that your employer would describe you. have had phone interviews first leading into 2-3 face to face interviews. Perception is everything always put your best foot forward.

Interview Questions

Pay scale was under what currently making but would change in months to proceed

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sears in February 2012.

Interview on the phone with store manager even though we are located in same town

Interview Questions
    • How do you hold yourself accountable to get tasks done?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sears in May 2010.

During the interview, you will likely be asked if you have any questions. Interviewers expect you to have questions about the company, the group you would be working in and the job that you are interviewing for. Here are some sample questions to ask during an interview. Which questions you actually ask depends on the tone of the interview as well as the level of the person interviewing you. I have split the questions into groups based on who they would be aimed at: hiring manager, peer, and HR/Recruiter. You don’t want to bombard the interviewer with dozens of questions, but you do want to have an accurate picture of the position, as well as the company and group culture(s). At the end of each interview, ask if it is okay to follow up with them later if you have further questions. This is an excellent time to ask for a business card, which will also allow you to send each interviewer a thank you letter after the interviews are over.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a co-worker who wasn't doing his/her fair share of the work. What did you do and what was the outcome?   View Answer
    • Have you worked with someone you didn't like? If so, how did you handle it?   View Answer
    Negotiated salary

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sears in April 2010.

Interview with a Store Manager then the District Manager. Be prepared to be as detailed as possible in your explanations. The questions were pretty basic, "Tell me a time when you...", utilize prior experiences as much as possible. Whether work related, school related, or personal related. Be prepared for questions about your answer. Do your research on the company and the format your applying for. Visit locations. Be honest. Be energetic. Use words that align to the company overall vision.

Interview Questions
    • I wouldn't say it was a cake walk interview, but I wasn't unprepared. I had taken a course in interviews, which helped me prepare. The questions asked were pretty basic to what I had learned and prepared for. Just make sure you can elaborate on your answers. Try to make the questions more of a discussion, it will impress the interviewer.   Answer Question
    Be confident. Come prepared with details on why you think you deserve that amount. What projects did you work on? What were there outcomes? Why do you think you deserve that amount?

And whatever you do... DON'T GIVE A RANGE!!! Always keep that to yourself and give your high end of your range first. Let them come back to you. You could be applying for a position that would've paid 55k but you said "45k to 55k".... What do you think they will give you? 45k.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holyoke, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holyoke, MA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sears in February 2010.

The store manager called me a few days after I applied for the position. She immediately scheduled an interview for me, and I was offered the position on spot. A few days later, she called me with a salary offer, and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • What were you most unsuccessful with in your past job? Why? What did you do to overcome your struggle?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sears in November 2009.

Walked into store, filled out application on kiosk, talked to HR manager who sat me down with the store manager and was hired

Interview Questions
    • Walk around the store prior to the interview, you may be asked to provide a shoppers opinion   Answer Question
    When I applied it was for Appliance sales, ful commission

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sears in October 2009.

I submitted my resume to the Sears hiring website. 2 days later I got called in for an interview. I went in for the first interview, told I would get a call back. I got a call a few days later and had my second interview. This is when I got hired. Took a total of about 7 days from submitting my resume to being hired. It was fast, great interviews, and the district manager went into a lot of details.

Interview Questions
    • How did you turn around morale of the employees who were older then you.   Answer Question
    • How did you raise your close rate and surveys.   Answer Question
    Added an extra $10,000 a year to pay. Tell the district manager about your experience, and how much you think you are worth.