Sears

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – Filled out the application on line. 2 days later got a 45 minute assessment that had to be filled out. 1 week later I received an email confirmation that they were interested in me. 1 week later I received a call from the Store Manager for an interview. 2 weeks later I had a phone interview with the District Manger. He presented an alternative option to the original position that I interviewed for. Another Store Manager called to offer me the job and salary. I turned it down. I heard back from the District Manager several times before I accepted the job. He did get closer to what I was wanting as my salary requirement. I should have stayed with my previous job because promises were made that never came close to what was agreed upon in taking the job.

Interview Question – None of them were. If you have been in any kind of Retail Management position, you are familiar with all the scenario's that they throw at you.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate. I later found out that vacation time is negotiable, you can ask for a third week off.

Interviewed at Sears

Interview Details – Interviewed with Store Manager and then District Manager. In person and phone interview respectively in that order. Was transferring from a Sears store in another state and I had previously worked for the DM. There was no moving allowance provided and only a slight bump in salary for the cost of living increase.

Interview Question – How would you instill and excite Sears culture into associates who were not motivated and resistant to change?   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears in January 2013.

Interview Details – Had to not only Interview for the job but had to take 2 separate tests which required 65 minutes of my time. The initial application had a 45 minute test. After the test I felt as though i had been interrogated by police. In the end after about 2 weeks I heard back from them and wanted to almost turn it down due to the complexity of this part of the process.

Interview Question – There are alot of the "Tell me about a time when.." questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offered lowest possible salary for the job but because I needed a job I accepted. After 4 months I did receive a mega raise due to performance.

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sears in April 2011.

Interview Details – 2 interviews one

Interview Question – name a time you had to make an on time committment   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – Interview process consisted of two pre hire assessments. Contacted by recruiter to set up interview with store manger. Interview was very relaxed and what you would expect at management level. Asked to describe past experiences and work history. Also required to review sales metrics and determine areas of opportunity and what actions would be taken to correct those issues. Follow up phone call with District Manager, which was very brief. Contacted by recruiter with offer. Entire process was 4-6 weeks.

Interview Question – As previously stated, asked to review department specific metrics and highlight areas of opportunity and what actions could be taken to resolve those issues for future success. This was a little difficult as there was little instruction and key metric initiatives were not explained (i.e., I was not advised on the current company standards and store, department or associate goals.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary was not negotiable except for a few thousand dollars. It was much lower than I had anticipated. Offered two (2) weeks vacation, but was easily negotiated to three (3) weeks based on salary restraints.

Hayward, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – The process began with my application and taking numerous tests. Upon completion I received a call from Corporate recruiter inviting me for an interview with some regional management. Had two interviews with two interviewers at a time. The following week I received a call from a Store Manager. She would hire me on the spot but I preferred another location; thus, she referred to my former Sears store manager who turned out to be not a nice person.

Interview Question – N/A   Answer Question

South Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sears in July 2009.

Interview Details – Phone interview with recruiter then face to face with local store manager. I then got a job offer from the original recruiter. Overall process went smooth I did have to take an online assessment that lasted a little over an hour. I know now they have to do a face to face assessment however because of when I was hired I was exempt from it. Ensure you have fairly astute financial acumen or you will not pass the test as it is harder than a few other companies. P&L based questions and behavioral questions will be asked. Be prepared to answer team building related questions.

Interview Question – Nothing very difficult. However I know now they have you examine a case study and give you about 30 minutes to look it over before presenting it and answering questions regarding it. Be sure you are familiar with basic financial documents to ensure you will be successful in that part of the hiring process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I gave a range they met me in the middle.

Assistant Store Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – Long and drawn out - three assessments to be passed before interview. Then interviewed first by SM and then DM in second interview. Took 4 weeks to get onboarded once hiring decision was made. DM interview included a case analysis.

Interview Question – Case analysis. Given 45 minutes to review case and develop action plan - then present to DM, followed by questions by DM and SM.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Able to negotiate for more pay.

Assistant Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – Posted resume and applied for position. Was contacted by recruiter. Had to take 3 online assessments then phone interview with recruiter. The contacted by store manager, and met face to face for 2 interviews. 1st with the operations manager the final with store manager. I was called less then a week later and offered a position. The pay was set. I accepted, had to go online from home to fill out HR paperwork which I was paid for. I started approx 1 month after my first contact with the recruiter.

Interview Question – All questions were normal situational based questions relating to management experiamces.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Assistant Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – you will interview with the district manager for a specific location, if accepted you will then interview with the store manager, if you pass the interview with the district manager, you pretty much have the position, it is just the store manager giving you a walk through of the store

Interview Question – nothing unexpected, it is usual retail based questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – they have a wage cap 55,000, this is only in the high volume stores, depending on the volume you can start off at 41000

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!