Sears

Sears Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

2.9

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sears.

Filled out the application on line. 2 days later got a 45 minute assessment that had to be filled out. 1 week later I received an email confirmation that they were interested in me. 1 week later I received a call from the Store Manager for an interview. 2 weeks later I had a phone interview with the District Manger. He presented an alternative option to the original position that I interviewed for. Another Store Manager called to offer me the job and salary. I turned it down. I heard back from the District Manager several times before I accepted the job. He did get closer to what I was wanting as my salary requirement. I should have stayed with my previous job because promises were made that never came close to what was agreed upon in taking the job.

Interview Questions
  • None of them were. If you have been in any kind of Retail Management position, you are familiar with all the scenario's that they throw at you.   Answer Question
I was able to negotiate. I later found out that vacation time is negotiable, you can ask for a third week off.

Other Interview Reviews for Sears

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interviewed with Store Manager and then District Manager. In person and phone interview respectively in that order. Was transferring from a Sears store in another state and I had previously worked for the DM. There was no moving allowance provided and only a slight bump in salary for the cost of living increase.

Interview Questions
    • How would you instill and excite Sears culture into associates who were not motivated and resistant to change?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Sears.

Interview process consisted of two pre hire assessments. Contacted by recruiter to set up interview with store manger. Interview was very relaxed and what you would expect at management level. Asked to describe past experiences and work history. Also required to review sales metrics and determine areas of opportunity and what actions would be taken to correct those issues. Follow up phone call with District Manager, which was very brief. Contacted by recruiter with offer. Entire process was 4-6 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • As previously stated, asked to review department specific metrics and highlight areas of opportunity and what actions could be taken to resolve those issues for future success. This was a little difficult as there was little instruction and key metric initiatives were not explained (i.e., I was not advised on the current company standards and store, department or associate goals.   View Answer
    Salary was not negotiable except for a few thousand dollars. It was much lower than I had anticipated. Offered two (2) weeks vacation, but was easily negotiated to three (3) weeks based on salary restraints.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hayward, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hayward, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Sears.

The process began with my application and taking numerous tests. Upon completion I received a call from Corporate recruiter inviting me for an interview with some regional management. Had two interviews with two interviewers at a time. The following week I received a call from a Store Manager. She would hire me on the spot but I preferred another location; thus, she referred to my former Sears store manager who turned out to be not a nice person.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sears.

Long and drawn out - three assessments to be passed before interview. Then interviewed first by SM and then DM in second interview. Took 4 weeks to get onboarded once hiring decision was made. DM interview included a case analysis.

Interview Questions
    • Case analysis. Given 45 minutes to review case and develop action plan - then present to DM, followed by questions by DM and SM.   Answer Question
    Able to negotiate for more pay.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Sears.

Posted resume and applied for position. Was contacted by recruiter. Had to take 3 online assessments then phone interview with recruiter. The contacted by store manager, and met face to face for 2 interviews. 1st with the operations manager the final with store manager. I was called less then a week later and offered a position. The pay was set. I accepted, had to go online from home to fill out HR paperwork which I was paid for. I started approx 1 month after my first contact with the recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were normal situational based questions relating to management experiamces.   Answer Question
    No negotiations

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sears.

you will interview with the district manager for a specific location, if accepted you will then interview with the store manager, if you pass the interview with the district manager, you pretty much have the position, it is just the store manager giving you a walk through of the store

Interview Questions
    • nothing unexpected, it is usual retail based questions   Answer Question
    they have a wage cap 55,000, this is only in the high volume stores, depending on the volume you can start off at 41000

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sears in January 2013.

Had to not only Interview for the job but had to take 2 separate tests which required 65 minutes of my time. The initial application had a 45 minute test. After the test I felt as though i had been interrogated by police. In the end after about 2 weeks I heard back from them and wanted to almost turn it down due to the complexity of this part of the process.

Interview Questions
    • There are alot of the "Tell me about a time when.." questions   Answer Question
    Offered lowest possible salary for the job but because I needed a job I accepted. After 4 months I did receive a mega raise due to performance.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Exton, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Exton, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sears.

Iterview twice with SM and DM. Background and urine test. Urine must be given within 48 hours of offer acceptance. Interview process very standard. "tell me about at time, describe a time..." Situation, behavior, outcome is the format. "SBO" if you've heard of it.

Interview Questions
    Told that what I had been making, and what I expected to make. They offered me a few thousand more than I had been receiving,

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ashland, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ashland, KY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sears in July 2012.

This has to be the worst interviewing experience I have ever gone through. Sears outsources their hiring to a 3rd party company (The Right Thing Inc, an ADP company) and this is one of the most disorganized interview processes ever.

Sears is big on using assessments as predictors of future success, you will take about 3 assessments total including a Hogan Test with 400 questions, the other assessments are about 100 questions each. Pending you don't get screened out, which I did not, and pass both assessments you will move on to a phone interview.

The phone interview is NOT with Sears but with their contracted interviewing company. Most of the questions are about your resume and experience. Don't bother asking questions to this interviewer because they know NOTHING about the job or the company, surprisingly. Every answer I got was, “I don’t that information” or “you can ask that once you get an in store interview.” At one point she even admitted she did not work directly for Sears and was contracted to screen out applicants. This interview was rescheduled 3 times because they forgot to call me the first time, very unprofessional. The second time they ran over on a different interview and had no time to interview me that day. The sad thing about this is you schedule your interview from 20 minute blocks via an online scheduler. I’m not sure how they can mess that up 3 times, but they did.

Following the phone interview you will move on to an in store interview with the manager and the district manager. After the horrible experience and disorganized nature Sears put me through before even dealing with them, I told them I would not be considering the position any longer and withdrew my offer of interest.

Overall, this process will waste a lot of your time, just to determine it's not a company worth working for.

Interview Questions
    • They focused a lot on salary requirements, mostly to rule people out.   Answer Question

The contracted out interview process was not a good sign of how this company conducts business, especially how poorly it was conducted.