Sears Buyer Apprentice Interview Questions

Updated Apr 27, 2015

3.6

Buyer's Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sears (San Francisco, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Extremely lengthy interview process. 2 month's of interviewing before an offer was extended. It begins with an online personality test and retail math assessment if you score well you move onto a phone interview discuss your relevant experience, retail math skills, interest in the position. You are then invited for the final 3-5 hour group interview.

Interview Questions

• During the group interview you are required to present a case study off information given to you 10 minutes prior.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Quick and easy to accept.

Other Interview Reviews for Sears

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sears (Hoffman Estates, IL) in December 2013.

Interview

LONG, about four hours. First you have to take a retail math test, but you are given a calculator and a study guide to look over days before. After that, you interview with two sets of people. Basically 2 - 2 on 1 interviews. One side is Kmart and one side is Sears. Then you have a group interview and are given a paper and have to decide as a team who should get funding for their products and why. The point here is not to win, but to figure out who would profit most and why.

Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sears (Hoffman Estates, IL) in December 2013.

Interview

I applied online and a recruiter emailed me over a month later to set up a phone interview. She was very pleasant on the phone and asked very relevant questions. Be prepared to answer "Why Sears?" A week and a half later I was emailed and asked to select dates I was available to do an in person interview. They pay for a flight and car to take you to the hotel and back to the airport. You will take a short math test mostly based on the guide you are provided. There were two 1:2 interviews with merchandisers or buyer teams. Finally there is a case study. You are giving ten minutes to read over a case about who to invest in. You are supposed to argue your case to the other interviewees and come to a decision on who to invest in.

Didn't like the Chicago area

Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sears (Hoffman Estates, IL) in November 2011.

Interview

First I was contacted by a recruiter, and they said that I needed to take an online pre-employment test, which consisted mostly of questions about how you would react in various business situations. Then several weeks later, I was contacted to do a phone interview, which was about 30 mins, and was relatively straight forward. A couple of weeks after the phone interview, I was told they wanted to do an in-person interview. The in-person interview consisted of a retail math test, 2 different interviews which consisted of 2 interviewers, and a case-study where they put you at a table with 3 other interviewees and gave you a retail scenario and told you to argue your case and to come to a conclusion together as a team. After about another month, they got back to me and told me that I didn't get the position

Buyers Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Sears (Hoffman Estates, IL) in August 2011.

Interview

Contacted for 30 minute phone interview, very straight forward, they just want to make sure that you're a level headed individual here. A few days later I received an email asking to meet in person for a 4 hour interview process and contained a retail math work book as well as an itinerary for the day. The itinerary included a retail math test, two interviews {each with two people,) a group case study and a short tour. The math test was simple if you complete the workbook, the interviews were with HR, Buyers and certain department heads at Sears. They were very laid back and casual. All-in-all, good people that want to make sure you are a positive thinking person who is capable of and excited to be a part of there team. The group case study was a simple exercise where you have to first argue for an investment and than after come together as a group to determine on a single best investment. Than, a short 30 minute tour of a very cool campus and goodbyes.

Buyers Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sears (Chicago, IL) in November 2009.

Interview

The interview process for this position was very intense, an all day interview.

Interview Questions

• There are so many questions that i cant remember.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is none. Here is your offer, do you accept? I didn't even have long to think about it. They needed a 24 hour response.

Buyer Apprentice Interview

Interview

2 interviews with 2 people each. The interviewers included the recruiter and buyers. There was also an easy math test.

Interview Questions

• How do you communicate with those above you and under you?   Answer Question

Buyer Apprentice Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Sears in May 2012.

Interview

I sent my resume and was asked to do a phone interview the next day. After the phone interview it took about a week for them to offer me an in person interview which took place 2 weeks later. They asked typical situation behavior questions ("Tell me about a time when..."). The actual interview was a 4 hour process which consisted of a retail math test, an interview with 2 HR reps, an interview with 2 merchant reps and a case study. The day ended with a tour of the corporate offices by 2 current Buyer Apprentices. Everyone was very friendly. It is a very competitive program to get into. After the interview, it took a month to hear back from them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what your greatest weakness is.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you successfully changed a process at your current company.   Answer Question

Buyer Apprentice Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Sears in October 2011.

Interview

The interview was done in standard behavioral style. it was a one-on-one hour long process, and a lot of it involved the interviewer describing and trying to sell the position to me. Nothing too intimidating.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were working in a group that was experiencing problems. How did you go about resolving the issues?   Answer Question

Worried about Sear's future outlook.