Sears

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied online - interviewed at Sears in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and a recruiter emailed me over a month later to set up a phone interview. She was very pleasant on the phone and asked very relevant questions. Be prepared to answer "Why Sears?"
A week and a half later I was emailed and asked to select dates I was available to do an in person interview. They pay for a flight and car to take you to the hotel and back to the airport.
You will take a short math test mostly based on the guide you are provided. There were two 1:2 interviews with merchandisers or buyer teams.
Finally there is a case study. You are giving ten minutes to read over a case about who to invest in. You are supposed to argue your case to the other interviewees and come to a decision on who to invest in.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Didn't like the Chicago area

Buyers Apprentice Interview

Buyers Apprentice
Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Sears in August 2011.

Interview Details – Contacted for 30 minute phone interview, very straight forward, they just want to make sure that you're a level headed individual here. A few days later I received an email asking to meet in person for a 4 hour interview process and contained a retail math work book as well as an itinerary for the day. The itinerary included a retail math test, two interviews {each with two people,) a group case study and a short tour. The math test was simple if you complete the workbook, the interviews were with HR, Buyers and certain department heads at Sears. They were very laid back and casual. All-in-all, good people that want to make sure you are a positive thinking person who is capable of and excited to be a part of there team. The group case study was a simple exercise where you have to first argue for an investment and than after come together as a group to determine on a single best investment. Than, a short 30 minute tour of a very cool campus and goodbyes.

Interview Question – When was a time that you had an issue with analytics   Answer Question

Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sears in November 2011.

Interview Details – First I was contacted by a recruiter, and they said that I needed to take an online pre-employment test, which consisted mostly of questions about how you would react in various business situations. Then several weeks later, I was contacted to do a phone interview, which was about 30 mins, and was relatively straight forward. A couple of weeks after the phone interview, I was told they wanted to do an in-person interview. The in-person interview consisted of a retail math test, 2 different interviews which consisted of 2 interviewers, and a case-study where they put you at a table with 3 other interviewees and gave you a retail scenario and told you to argue your case and to come to a conclusion together as a team. After about another month, they got back to me and told me that I didn't get the position

Interview Question – Tell me what you know about what a buyer does.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Buyers Apprentice Interview

Buyers Apprentice
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sears in November 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process for this position was very intense, an all day interview.

Interview Question – There are so many questions that i cant remember.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is none. Here is your offer, do you accept? I didn't even have long to think about it. They needed a 24 hour response.

Interviewed at Sears

Interview Details – 2 interviews with 2 people each. The interviewers included the recruiter and buyers. There was also an easy math test.

Interview Question – How do you communicate with those above you and under you?   Answer Question

Buyer Apprentice

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Sears in May 2012.

Interview Details – I sent my resume and was asked to do a phone interview the next day. After the phone interview it took about a week for them to offer me an in person interview which took place 2 weeks later. They asked typical situation behavior questions ("Tell me about a time when..."). The actual interview was a 4 hour process which consisted of a retail math test, an interview with 2 HR reps, an interview with 2 merchant reps and a case study. The day ended with a tour of the corporate offices by 2 current Buyer Apprentices. Everyone was very friendly. It is a very competitive program to get into. After the interview, it took a month to hear back from them.

Interview Questions

Buyer Apprentice

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Sears in October 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was done in standard behavioral style. it was a one-on-one hour long process, and a lot of it involved the interviewer describing and trying to sell the position to me. Nothing too intimidating.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you were working in a group that was experiencing problems. How did you go about resolving the issues?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Worried about Sear's future outlook.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sears

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sears Buyer Apprentice interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sears employees and interview candidates.