Sears

Getting the Interview

154 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

El Cajon, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears in August 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online and was immediatly prompted to pick an interview date and time. Just after that, I was called by HR from the store I applied to and asked to change the date. I did so, and went in for my interview later that week. After my first interview I was asked to schedule a second one. After that one, I was asked to attend the final group interview. At this interview we were asked to work as a group and in pairs to solve role-play situations. Then we were all hired.

Interview Question – Describe a time when someone gave you great customer service and how it felt.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Concord, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sears in May 2012.

Interview Details – I only had two interviews. First was asking about your positions in certain situations and what you would do to overcome them? Just show your idea of customer service and handling difficult situations. Also asked about my schedule and what I would be able to work. The second interview had the same idea of customer-oriented questions. Very basic, not difficult at all. Why work for Sears? What would you do if...? I was young, had no retail experience and got it.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Very typical customer-orientated questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, the starting pay is minimum $8.00

Cashier Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – It was pretty quick and got hired on the spot, they didn't really ask many questions but they explained what the job was about and what they were looking for.
Just be confident, be nice and don't be afraid to speak, cause they look for people that are really outgoing.

Interview Question – A few what would you do if? Questions   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They pay the minimum and 2 dollars per credit application you get from people.

Coral Springs, FL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sears in September 2013.

Interview Details – If they're doing a job fair, you can expect a callback within a week, if not less. Normally, they'll take up to two weeks to call you back, if they even call at all. Upon request for an interview, you will be asked a series of personality-type questions to determine where you will be placed in the company. After that - once your job has been selected - you will have another interview with your positions' supervisor.

Interview Question – None really, for the position I got.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The agreement is non-negotiable.

Newark, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sears in January 2014.

Interview Details – I was given two interviews, like mostly everyone else. My first interview went really well. It was really easy. She asked me about my hours and asked me a few easy questions about customer service and why she should hire me. My second interview was not great. The second lady was a little angry. She was angry because of something that happened a few minutes earlier, so she obviously was not very happy to see me. I wasn't really prepared and I was having a bad day, so I didn't do so great. Also, I don't have lots of work experience which is probably why I was not offered a job. Also having no work experience means that I could not really answer the questions very well. I think it was a really biased interview, actually, because I don't have customer experience.

Interview Question – 1) What have you learned in school or in work that helped you later in life?

2) What are three reasons a person would not shop online? Can you give reasons why this person should shop online?

3) When did you help a person?

4) Have you ever convinced a person to do something?

5) Have you ever tried to sell something to someone?

6) When did you experience great customer service?
  View Answer

Saginaw, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears in February 2014.

Interview Details – My previous work experience is 6 months in fast food as a cashier and 4 months in retail as a sales associate. I am also a full-time college student. I applied online and took the long assessment. The next day, I got a call to interview with an HR rep. The interview went well. She asked me a few questions, but I think she asked me less of them based on experience. Most were getting at whether or not I'd be willing to sell credit, and I already do that at my current job so it was fine. The HR lady seemed to like me, but I didn't hear back very quick so I assumed I didn't get it. About a week and a half later, I got another call saying they wanted me to come in for a second interview with the cashier lead. He asked me a few more questions, told me about the job, and offered me the position. I will be getting e-mailed onboarding stuff, and once I fill it out, I start orientation and training. He says this takes two to four weeks. I may or may not have to take a drug test. You are selected at random.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to respond quickly to an emergency situation.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a goal you set for yourself, achieved, and how you knew you achieved it.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a goal someone else set for you, that you achieved, and how you knew you achieved it.   Answer Question
  • Name three concerns someone might have to ordering online and how you would overcome them.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you had to help someone with technology.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. It's a cashier job. If you want big money, go to school and better yourself. A high schooler can do this job. Get over yourself. Do not expect more than minimum wage with opportunities for bonuses by selling credit and getting online orders.

Cashier

I applied online and interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – Far easy..ok it was super easy I sat in a room of 12 and wasnt told I got the job but we all knew that I recieved it.

Interview Question – Can you follow the standars of Sears? Pretty easy..   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – Applied. Week later i got a call and set up a date for an interview. It was like in a couple of days and i showed up. I wait a couple of minutes and the Cashier lead interviewed me for like 20 minutes. She was really nice and in the end she said she liked me. Then the Human resource interviews me and he said yes then i went up to the store manager and he interviewed me too and he hired me on the spot.

Interview Question – They ask a lot of "tell me a time when..."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I got hired on the spot and it was either yes or no.

Youngstown, OH

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sears in March 2013.

Interview Details – This company uses online interview as the inital process. THis is a cool tool because it is innovative and it gives a chance for management to get a good view of the candidate prior to moving on with the interview. It shows that they are valuing their time. It is not necessarily the best value for candidate time though since they will ask for you to complete on short notice.

Interview Question – What is your weakness.   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied on their website and about a week later they called me in for an interview. The interview itself was very simple and easy. Nothing they asked was too difficult. A few days after the interview they called me and offered me the job. I started three days later.

Interview Question – Name a time when you were forced to work with a difficult person.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sears

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sears Cashier interview questions and advice. All 154 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sears employees and interview candidates.