Sears Cashier Interview Questions & Reviews

2.1

179 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Sears in June 2014.

It was mostly behavioral questions (Name a time when...). Also they had questions about the company like if you were comfortable selling sears card. The store was busy during the time so my interviewer work with another customer in between while helping another customer. It was fairly easy but their were questions that caught me off guard.

Interview Questions
  • What was a time where you had to complete a task but needed to work on another task?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Sears

Cashier Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Sears in June 2014.

Applied online and after 2 days they called me for interview. The interview is easy and its just about your past experience,behavioral and situational. The first interviewer is nice and the interview was about 10 mins and then he told me to wait for another interview. After 5 mins of waiting the second interviewer is there and interview me for 5 mins and just the same questions.

Anonymous Employee  in  Dearborn, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears in April 2014.

First interview went well. Mostly basic questions.
    Second interview was about selling and assisting other customers. Then they explain to you the importance of selling the sears credit card. Seriously?
    Never received a call back, even after recalling them. Not a great employment process.

Anonymous Employee  in  Hermitage, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Hermitage, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Sears.

Applied online, easy questionnaire. Was contacted 3 days after finishing application and set up interview time. Arrived at store for an interview. Store manager who was supposed to interview me was 'in a meeting' during the time we had agreed on, so I was interviewed by the lead cashier. She didn't seem to really know what she was doing - all of her interview questions came out of a packet they use to guide their interviews. No one apparently reviewed my application because all the questions they asked were answered in my application. Had a second interview that same day with the store manager after his meeting. Seemed very cold and standoffish. Kept pressuring me to accept a different job as a sales associate in the tools department (where I know nothing about) instead of the cashier position I applied for. When I asked questions after the interview, he showed himself to not be very knowledgeable about his own store (when will I start, how long is training, etc).

Interview Questions
    • Questions were not difficult - the majority were "describe a time when you..." (offered excellent customer service, had to work as a team, etc.)   Answer Question

They were unorganized and not very knowledgeable about their own store. Also wanted me to push credit card apps, reward programs, etc. on customers and I am not pushy enough for them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Federal Way, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Federal Way, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Sears in April 2014.

Applied online and was contacted the next day to schedule interview. Had 2 interviews and was offered the job on the spot during the second. Interview questions were easy, mainly asking about "tell me a time when...". Was a little unorganized, they were about 30 minutes late to interview me both times. However the interviews only lasted about 10 minutes each.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time you exceeded expectations and how you knew that you had"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Valencia, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valencia, CA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Sears in October 2013.

It was a group interview. We were all seated in the training room and had to watch a video about being a cashier. They explained a few other things to us about the job. We introduced ourselves to the Cashier Lead and the Human Resources Manager. All they wanted to know was what our availability was and what were some of our past job experieces like. After an hour, we were all given a job offer. It was not as bad as I thought, considering this was my first job interview ever.

No negotiations. The pay is minimum wage so you can either take it or leave it.

Cashier Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Sears in May 2014.

I applied online and received a call about 4 days later to schedule an interview. I showed up 15 mins early and waited around for about 30. I was walked to the back of the store where the offices are and interviewed with a lady. She wAs very nice and made me feel comfortable almost like I was talking to a friend. Everyone was so friendly and nice to me. I had two separate interviews that day. The first one went great she said she really liked me and told me she was calling down the higher up manager for a second interview she was also nice.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you gave excellent customer service   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had to choose between helping another employee and doing your work   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Canoga Park, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Canoga Park, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Sears in May 2014.

Received a phone call for an interview. Went the next day and they didn't know there was a scheduled appointment with me. The person I was suppose to interview with was not there or they decided I needed to interview with someone else. It was a store manager and the cashier manager that I interviewed with. They hadn't read through my profile and asked me to tell them about my resume. Once they found out that I am currently working for another retail company they were curious about my work experience there. As I had explained my experience the cashier manager was very rude and decided to take it upon herself to tell me what is different about their company. Honestly, it felt like she was telling me why Sears was better than the company I currently work for. I had stated my reason for applying at their position was that my current job was seasonal other than that there was no bad reviews about the company I am currently working for. However, she was very pushy, competitive, and out right obnoxious. Lastly, she out right told me that customer service didn't matter because they depended on getting people to pay with their sears credit cards. It is understandable to acknowledge that companies love consumers that use their credit cards, but to out right say that customer service does not matter really isn't the company I want to work for. She really gave me a bad vibe about the work environment and also about herself when I would be working under her supervision.

Interview Questions

Lack of professionalism in the interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mesa, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mesa, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Sears in June 2013.

There were 3 interviews with 3 different managers. The interview questions were very easy and basic. The managers were really nice. They seem to hire everyone and there are a lot of underage experienced kids working there.

There was none. Everybody gets paid the same and there is no raise.

Cashier Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Sears.

Submitted an application online. I received a call about a day later and interviewed with the former cashier lead. He asked a bunch of " tell me about a time when". He said the interview went well and he wanted me to interview with the assistant manager. The assistant manager didn't have to many questions and hired me one spot.

Interview Questions
    No, they start everyone of at 7.25 (minimum wage). After your first 5 credit apps for the month, they do give you $2 per a credit app (Sometimes $4)