Sears Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

2.8

122 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sears in July 2014.

Applied online for a project manager job at the Sears corporate HQ. Took about a week to schedule a 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager, then another 7 business days to have an onsite interview. I was an out of town candidate, and Sears (via AmEx travel) arranged for flight + nice car service from and back to O'Hare to have me in for just an afternoon. Plus roughly another two weeks to get the hiring decision, which only came after I reached back out to the recruiter for a status update.

My initial onsite schedule was to interview with six people over two hours (two 30min 1:1s and two 30min 2:1s). It was sent to me in advance, but then I received a different schedule in my packet upon arrival, and even then the people on the schedule had rearranged amongst themselves, so I couldn't follow along. The first interviewer spent about 45 minutes with me, because the second interviewer (the hiring manager) showed up about 20 minutes late and still took about 30 minutes. The third interviewer sat through half of the hiring manager's interview before she could start, and the co-interviewer for that session didn't show up at all. The final interviewer arrived and ended on time, as did the co-interviewer who called the conference room from another location within the campus.

All the interviewers seemed to follow a standard pattern of introducing themselves/their role, then asking what I had discussed about "x" with earlier interviewers, how my experience aligned, and continuing to build on the same set of topics. Each interview was more of a dialog about their work than a peppering with random theoretical or behavioral questions, which I liked. I felt like I left the day with a really good understanding of what the role would be and was maybe able to show off a little more personality than the standard grilling allows.

Interview Questions
    • Hiring manager asked what I would do in the scenario that his mobile phone died and he needed me to handle getting him a new one.   View Answer

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sears in February 2013.

They asked about experience and previous projects and how you handled them. They went through step by step of those projects and reviewed how the applicant communicated with the stakeholders and how process and methodology would apply to their current culture. It was really straightforward and semi formal. I would expect the same from any employer that would be seeking talent to their PMO. I'm surprised they did not require the PMP certification but it was something they asked about in the interview. The best way in to this company is to know someone at the corporate office.

Interview Questions
    • What the next steps would be in education or certifications   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Sears in August 2012.

1 phone interview, 1 onsite interview, interviewed with 2 groups while onsite. Onsite interview was with 5 different people. Most the interviews were case studies, some behavioral, 1 technical. One of the analysts took me out to lunch. Everyone I talked to was nice and pretty smart. Quality of people really dependent on the department and the boss.

Interview Questions
    • Got multiple case study interviews and a brief technical interview.   Answer Question

Event Pricing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sears in December 2013.

Interviewed by the manager and director of Kmart Grocery. Had to wait over month to hear back from the hiring team, and I was already an employee, and even though I was a current employee and only moving from one depatment to another, all of my benefits were cancelled and my badge was disabled, so I had to go through the whole process of getting my benfits restored and badge reinstated.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiations. I would advice others to negotiate a little higher than what you will accept.

Route Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Elgin, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elgin, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Sears in February 2013.

the hiring process was pretty easy. i applied online the called me the next day to set up a phone interview and after that you go on from there and go for a one on one interview at the office. if they like you, you will most likely get a call the next day.

Interview Questions
    • for me it was probably do you like working by yourself or working as a team. for me im in between because it depends on what im working on.   Answer Question

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears.

I had advantage of knowing the person I would report to. I believe the typical process is to do an initial phone interview. Face to face was standard interview process with manager who I would be reporting to. Additional interviews with peers. Non-stressful. The interview was done over the course of an afternoon.

Limited negotiation.

Technical Architect/Systems Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Sears.

Very comfortable and detailed at the same time. There appeared to be (and confirmed later) that there is a hierarchical filtering, with time added for personality evaluation in a casual (lunch) environment.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you think you'd be five years from now.   View Answer
    Definitely Negotiate. But find out comps before getting into that.

Space Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sears in April 2014.

Process took about 3 weeks start to finish. First I was called by a recruiter for initial consult. Then we had a phone screen with 3 managers. Then I was invited to the HQ for 2 rounds of interviews. Each round was with 2-3 managers.

They asked typical behavioral questions: As in how do you suggest changes to procedures? How do you convince a manager of your ideas? What is your greatest strength/weakness? How have you explained complex data to non-technical people?

Interview Questions
    • How do you arrange pet food on a shelf? There are three categories of pet food: bagged food, canned food, and treats.   View Answer

Human Resources Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears in October 2012.

This was fairly sloppy. I was reached out to by a Human Resources Manager that was leaving. Came in for my interview and she had no idea it was scheduled with me. Asked me to come back and interview with the new operations manager, after this it was smooth sailing and i was hired on the spot. Came in to fill out paperwork a few days later and orientation was scheduled within the week

Interview Questions
    • Questions off of the interview guide, none stood out as difficult   Answer Question
    started at minimum wage, no negotiations

Inventory Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears in August 2013.

The whole process took about two weeks and consisted of a phone interview and then an in-person. I was given a decision within 48 hours of my in-person.

Interview Questions
    • It was all very straight forward and there weren't any real brain busters   Answer Question
    No negotiation unless you're being hired as a manager or above

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!