Sears Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

2.7

124 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Taxonomist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sears.

The process was a joke from beginning to end. Phone interview followed by onsite at Hoffman Estates location. The onsite location interview was the most depressing I've ever encountered. Once I arrived the HR woman told me that the attitude toward the perception of Sears as a sinking ship is just something you get used to, something she mentioned unprompted by anything I said.

I met 3 people for one on one interviews. For the first, the nice but obviously overwhelmed manager asked questions along the lines of how I responded when things didn't work and the technology broke which seemed to be the theme at Sears, nothing works but we do what we can rather than attempt to fix it.

The next manager I was to meet showed up 20 minutes late to a 30 minute interview and asked me such obvious questions as "What does taxonomy mean?" It is clear they interview a lot of completely unqualified people for the role.

The final interview was with what would be my peers and was the most depressing of all and made clear why the taxonomy of Sears is such a mess. I was asked to classify what was obviously a bunch of garbage from a junk drawer into coherent piles. The objects were unsellable items, parts and broken pieces that would never be sold individually such as pieces of driftwood, buttons, a guitar pick and the top of a salt shaker. Once the task was complete the interviewers instead of giving me feedback on the classification used the opportunity to pay "gotcha" and tell me which objects I had misidentified. (No, that disk with holes in it isn't a button but a saltshaker top, etc.) At no point during this final interview was I asked any questions. I was simply told what an amazing job the team did despite having no actual authority in the department and that despite being sold the job as a downtown position, I should expect to commute to Hoffman Estates more often than not.

Finally when it was my turn to ask questions, it was clear the department, despite be a joke in the industry, didn't see that it was doing anything wrong. There is no consistency on the website because there is no attempt at consistency internally and zero documentation. I was told issues are kept track of via "skype meetings." Even the manager and the team contradicted each other as to how consistency was maintained.

At no point was I asked any questions that would demonstrate that I was a better candidate than anyone else that applied. Even the sorting task was misused, to ensure that the results were not meaningfully interpreted.

A week after I was told a decision was to be made I was called to be told that my references would be called. Two weeks after that I only found out I didn't get the position when I was called by another department to interview for a different role. For the second role, despite making it to the final stage and positive feedback, I again never got a final word for the recruiter which I presume means I either wasn't hired or they lost my resume, each seeming equally plausible.

Inventory Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Sears in September 2014.

After submitting my resume online, I participated in a phone screen about a week later. I was immediately invited for an in-person interview, however it took more than a month for me to find out when this interview would actually occur. The in-person interview consisted of 3 half-hour sessions with 2-3 interviewers. The sessions were very easy-going and low stress, mainly talking about my experiences in college and my interests, which makes sense as this is typically an entry-level position that consists of an extensive training program. As promised, I received a decision a week after the in-person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • If you had one item at the distribution center and had to decide between two stores where to send it to, how would you decide?   Answer Question
    I received a very fair offer and did not negotiate. For this entry-level position, I believe negotiation is not an option.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sears in July 2014.

Applied online for a project manager job at the Sears corporate HQ. Took about a week to schedule a 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager, then another 7 business days to have an onsite interview. I was an out of town candidate, and Sears (via AmEx travel) arranged for flight + nice car service from and back to O'Hare to have me in for just an afternoon. Plus roughly another two weeks to get the hiring decision, which only came after I reached back out to the recruiter for a status update.

My initial onsite schedule was to interview with six people over two hours (two 30min 1:1s and two 30min 2:1s). It was sent to me in advance, but then I received a different schedule in my packet upon arrival, and even then the people on the schedule had rearranged amongst themselves, so I couldn't follow along. The first interviewer spent about 45 minutes with me, because the second interviewer (the hiring manager) showed up about 20 minutes late and still took about 30 minutes. The third interviewer sat through half of the hiring manager's interview before she could start, and the co-interviewer for that session didn't show up at all. The final interviewer arrived and ended on time, as did the co-interviewer who called the conference room from another location within the campus.

All the interviewers seemed to follow a standard pattern of introducing themselves/their role, then asking what I had discussed about "x" with earlier interviewers, how my experience aligned, and continuing to build on the same set of topics. Each interview was more of a dialog about their work than a peppering with random theoretical or behavioral questions, which I liked. I felt like I left the day with a really good understanding of what the role would be and was maybe able to show off a little more personality than the standard grilling allows.

Interview Questions
    • Hiring manager asked what I would do in the scenario that his mobile phone died and he needed me to handle getting him a new one.   View Answer

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sears.

I had advantage of knowing the person I would report to. I believe the typical process is to do an initial phone interview. Face to face was standard interview process with manager who I would be reporting to. Additional interviews with peers. Non-stressful. The interview was done over the course of an afternoon.

Limited negotiation.

Technical Architect/Systems Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sears.

Very comfortable and detailed at the same time. There appeared to be (and confirmed later) that there is a hierarchical filtering, with time added for personality evaluation in a casual (lunch) environment.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you think you'd be five years from now.   View Answer
    Definitely Negotiate. But find out comps before getting into that.

Space Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sears in April 2014.

Process took about 3 weeks start to finish. First I was called by a recruiter for initial consult. Then we had a phone screen with 3 managers. Then I was invited to the HQ for 2 rounds of interviews. Each round was with 2-3 managers.

They asked typical behavioral questions: As in how do you suggest changes to procedures? How do you convince a manager of your ideas? What is your greatest strength/weakness? How have you explained complex data to non-technical people?

Interview Questions
    • How do you arrange pet food on a shelf? There are three categories of pet food: bagged food, canned food, and treats.   View Answer

Network Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Sears.

Interview many people plus skill test

Inventory Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

Applying through their website did not do me much good but then I met someone who worked for the company who moved my resume along to a recruiter. She contacted me within a week. We had a phone interview and the following week I was called in for an onsite interview. It was intense with 5 sessions of 1:1 hiring managers from different teams but all and all it went well.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time where you had to make a difficult decision   Answer Question
    No negotiation but the offer was fair and compensated me for my level of skills/experience.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sears.

The hiring process was slower due to me being an out-of-town candidate and the holiday season. A few of the interviews had to be rescheduled due to conflicts. Otherwise, the in-house recruiter was great – very communicative and supportive throughout the process. The team had a good mix of experience and young, creative types. They were forthright about the uphill challenge facing Sears Holdings, but presented an good vision for its future. The interview process was thorough but always pleasant.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were too difficult or unexpected. Questions were split between experience and what I'd call "mini-cases" (e.g. tell me what you think about such-and-such that we're doing, etc.).   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sears in March 2014.

Interview questions are very close to job description and it seems not too formal. On the second round, no technical questions are asked, just discuss what skills you have.