Sears Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Apr 20, 2015

2.8

Buyer Apprentice Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sears (Hoffman Estates, IL).

Interview

I had applied online. Was contacted to set up a time to have a phone interview. Then was moved forward to the next round. They scheduled a flight to their headquarter office in Hoffman Estates. We were given a tour of the facitlity. Took a written exam. There were 2 rounds of 2:1 interviews and lastly a group project where a panel evaluated how you worked together in a group and fought for more funding for your department.

Interview Questions

• Explain what you observed when you visited our brick and mortar store? Please breakdown your SWAT evaluation.   1 Answer

Inventory Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sears (Hoffman Estates, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online to the campus career website and was accepted for an interview. The first round interview was on campus, with two half hour interviews with two different people. About two weeks after, I received an email requesting a second round interview on site. There, it was an all day interview process. We first arrived, had an interview, took a tour of the building, had another interview, asked questions to a panel of employees, had lunch with those employees, did a group activity, then ended with a recap. The HR employee called me an hour and a half after the interview to let me know I had an offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had a disagreement with someone and what happened.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sears (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

interview with multiple PM's and senior people up to VP. two visits to Hoffman Estates which is out in the middle of nowhere. No Train station near and over an hour in traffic to commute from down town Chicago. Phone interview to start with incredibly nice and efficient HR people. The best part of the company.

Interview Questions

• Obvious the managers were not very skilled. keenly focused on whether you actually did the work.
      What was your process, What did you do, how did you do it. Asking questions about things they were not good at.
      Really good indication this company will not succeed.

1 Answer

Manager, Local Commerce Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sears (Hoffman Estates, IL).

Interview

Sears has the most unprofessional bunch of people. I was scheduled for 5 interviews. The day of my interview the HR spent a pointless hour telling me about how economy of various nations of the world are crumbling. When it was time for the interview, the first interviewer was traveling. No one knew I was scheduled an interview and people who were free were called to interview me. Many people who interviewed were junior employees who had started to work 2 months prior. They seemed to chat on their laptops and mobile phones during the interview. The SVP of the department barged into one of the interviews and was highly unprofessional. He wanted to know information of my current work environment and seemed relentless in getting unwanted details. He said that I would be given the job offer only if I committed to work weekends and overnights. Apparently he was trying to get me aware that the work required challenges that needed such drastic work hours. Every few sentences he would iterate saying he could give me the offer if he wished to, trying to show authority. I could easily get the vibe that my offer was not on the feedback given by all the interviewers (most of them 3-6 months old after college), but based on the SVP's whims. Eventually I was denied the offer by the HR the next week. But the SVP called me again and asked me to disregard the HR and said I would get the offer if I promised to work weekends. I agreed and I was told I would have another interview over the phone. The interviewer called me and scheduled an interview on Saturday, stating he was working that weekend. I was not called on Saturday, and on the immediate Monday, I get a whatsapp from the interviewer with regard to rescheduling. It was very unprofessional and I stopped responding.

Interview Questions

• If you are given half a million dollars and you need to start a company tell me how many candidates you would recruit and from where?   1 Answer

Taxonomist Interview

Application

Interview

The process was a joke from beginning to end. Phone interview followed by onsite at Hoffman Estates location. The onsite location interview was the most depressing I've ever encountered. Once I arrived the HR woman told me that the attitude toward the perception of Sears as a sinking ship is just something you get used to, something she mentioned unprompted by anything I said.

I met 3 people for one on one interviews. For the first, the nice but obviously overwhelmed manager asked questions along the lines of how I responded when things didn't work and the technology broke which seemed to be the theme at Sears, nothing works but we do what we can rather than attempt to fix it.

The next manager I was to meet showed up 20 minutes late to a 30 minute interview and asked me such obvious questions as "What does taxonomy mean?" It is clear they interview a lot of completely unqualified people for the role.

The final interview was with what would be my peers and was the most depressing of all and made clear why the taxonomy of Sears is such a mess. I was asked to classify what was obviously a bunch of garbage from a junk drawer into coherent piles. The objects were unsellable items, parts and broken pieces that would never be sold individually such as pieces of driftwood, buttons, a guitar pick and the top of a salt shaker. Once the task was complete the interviewers instead of giving me feedback on the classification used the opportunity to pay "gotcha" and tell me which objects I had misidentified. (No, that disk with holes in it isn't a button but a saltshaker top, etc.) At no point during this final interview was I asked any questions. I was simply told what an amazing job the team did despite having no actual authority in the department and that despite being sold the job as a downtown position, I should expect to commute to Hoffman Estates more often than not.

Finally when it was my turn to ask questions, it was clear the department, despite be a joke in the industry, didn't see that it was doing anything wrong. There is no consistency on the website because there is no attempt at consistency internally and zero documentation. I was told issues are kept track of via "skype meetings." Even the manager and the team contradicted each other as to how consistency was maintained.

At no point was I asked any questions that would demonstrate that I was a better candidate than anyone else that applied. Even the sorting task was misused, to ensure that the results were not meaningfully interpreted.

A week after I was told a decision was to be made I was called to be told that my references would be called. Two weeks after that I only found out I didn't get the position when I was called by another department to interview for a different role. For the second role, despite making it to the final stage and positive feedback, I again never got a final word for the recruiter which I presume means I either wasn't hired or they lost my resume, each seeming equally plausible.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sears (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

Hiring process apparently was pretty organized. Had 2 rounds (1 technical + 1 behavioral) on campus. In technical they started the discussion with projects that I had undertaken and later on java(mostly basic stuff). Since, I had mentioned Angular js on my resume, I was asked to write a basic MVC architecture for Angular js application. Apart from this they questioned on threads, JSP and Data Structure(pretty much the regulation questions).

Within 2 weeks they scheduled for Onsite interviews(3 technical : each 45 mins). They focussed on Design Patterns like Singleton, Factory and Observer. Apart from this they interviewed us for concepts/technologies like Database concepts(basics), Java,Threads, Angular Js and Struts. In last interview they gave scheduling problem to solve and later asked to optimize it.

Overall, it was decent interview experience. Prepare OOPS, Data Structures, Design Patterns and Algorithms. It will be good to have understanding of any framework or new javascript libraries like angular.

The HR responded back within a week with an offer. Package offered was very competitive.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unusual. Everything asked was pretty standard.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Package offered was very competitive. Still they were open for a negotiation.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Sears (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

I initially started the hiring process by walking in to an open interview job fair. I had a quick interview, I was told about sears programs and asked one question. I was offered a second interview right away. The second interview was a group session we were asked about 5-7 questions. The session was about 30-40 minutes. I was hired on the spot. However, I was offered a different position than what I applied for but I'm still happy with my offer as a merchandiser. To give a quick time frame: First Interview "Friday", Second Interview "Tuesday" = Hired. Drug Testing & Orientation Next, we're scheduled for orientation based on how quickly we finish our paperwork.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you achieved a goal?   Answer Question
    • There's only one position and everyone in this room is competing for it, why should we hire you?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you helped someone with technology?
      "Work environment example preferred"

Answer Question
    • Define excellent customer service   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your most recent job(s) and why you left   Answer Question
    • What would prevent you from shopping online?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Everyone was asked what position, they preferred but not everyone was offered their desired position. They offered opportunities based off where they felt you would fit best. "take it or leave it".

Store Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sears (Hoffman Estates, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview was approximately 1 hour. Very casual. I was called by the recruiter and interviewed by a Senior Process manager. He explained the current position, the obstacles that the position had as well as the companies goals for the position. The overall tone of the interview was very upbeat and positive. He asked questions that were obviously scripted prior to the interview that I assume he had asked of multiple candidates.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an experience where you had to manage someone much older and rigid in their process of doing things.   1 Answer

Inventory Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sears (Hoffman Estates, IL) in September 2014.

Interview

After submitting my resume online, I participated in a phone screen about a week later. I was immediately invited for an in-person interview, however it took more than a month for me to find out when this interview would actually occur. The in-person interview consisted of 3 half-hour sessions with 2-3 interviewers. The sessions were very easy-going and low stress, mainly talking about my experiences in college and my interests, which makes sense as this is typically an entry-level position that consists of an extensive training program. As promised, I received a decision a week after the in-person interviews.

Interview Questions

• If you had one item at the distribution center and had to decide between two stores where to send it to, how would you decide?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I received a very fair offer and did not negotiate. For this entry-level position, I believe negotiation is not an option.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sears (Hoffman Estates, IL) in July 2014.

Interview

Applied online for a project manager job at the Sears corporate HQ. Took about a week to schedule a 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager, then another 7 business days to have an onsite interview. I was an out of town candidate, and Sears (via AmEx travel) arranged for flight + nice car service from and back to O'Hare to have me in for just an afternoon. Plus roughly another two weeks to get the hiring decision, which only came after I reached back out to the recruiter for a status update.

My initial onsite schedule was to interview with six people over two hours (two 30min 1:1s and two 30min 2:1s). It was sent to me in advance, but then I received a different schedule in my packet upon arrival, and even then the people on the schedule had rearranged amongst themselves, so I couldn't follow along. The first interviewer spent about 45 minutes with me, because the second interviewer (the hiring manager) showed up about 20 minutes late and still took about 30 minutes. The third interviewer sat through half of the hiring manager's interview before she could start, and the co-interviewer for that session didn't show up at all. The final interviewer arrived and ended on time, as did the co-interviewer who called the conference room from another location within the campus.

All the interviewers seemed to follow a standard pattern of introducing themselves/their role, then asking what I had discussed about "x" with earlier interviewers, how my experience aligned, and continuing to build on the same set of topics. Each interview was more of a dialog about their work than a peppering with random theoretical or behavioral questions, which I liked. I felt like I left the day with a really good understanding of what the role would be and was maybe able to show off a little more personality than the standard grilling allows.

Interview Questions

• Hiring manager asked what I would do in the scenario that his mobile phone died and he needed me to handle getting him a new one.   1 Answer