Sears Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Sep 3, 2015

2.7

Director Regulatory Affairs Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sears (Hoffman Estates, IL).

Interview

I received a phone call from a Team Manager who informed me that I would have a series of phone interviews at a certain time and day. One of the phone interviews never happened and I found out later the person forgot to call me. It was a joke from the beginning.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions and the people interviewing seemed unorganized and not prepared.   Answer Question

I could not work for a company that could not seem to organize and or conduct an interview in a professional manner.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Sears (Hoffman Estates, IL) in December 2013.

Interview

I found the position online and applied through the Brassring system where I was quickly rejected. After that, I sent a direct email to the hiring manager with my résumé. I then interviewed with a pair of managers over the phone. Almost moving backward, I interviewed with HR who then formally extended a very competitive offer. Questions were very job focused, but some behavioral-type questions were included My path to an interview was unconventional considering my initial rejection (probably the initial robot sift). I was pretty surprised when the turn of events led to an offer.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your last job?   1 Answer

It became clear that politics were a major problem at the company (a couple of Freudian slips by interviewers and some reading between the lines made it obvious). Such an environment is not only distracting but also a hindrance in getting the tools needed to fulfill the function of the job. Pay was excellent, and there was opportunity of a hefty bonus. However, Sears is a struggling company that lacks benefits like 401K matching and tuition reimbursement. There was also a vibe of tension when walking through the office.

Buyer Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sears (Hoffman Estates, IL) in December 2013.

Interview

LONG, about four hours. First you have to take a retail math test, but you are given a calculator and a study guide to look over days before. After that, you interview with two sets of people. Basically 2 - 2 on 1 interviews. One side is Kmart and one side is Sears. Then you have a group interview and are given a paper and have to decide as a team who should get funding for their products and why. The point here is not to win, but to figure out who would profit most and why.

Buyer Apprentice Interview

Application

Interview

I applied online and a recruiter emailed me over a month later to set up a phone interview. She was very pleasant on the phone and asked very relevant questions. Be prepared to answer "Why Sears?" A week and a half later I was emailed and asked to select dates I was available to do an in person interview. They pay for a flight and car to take you to the hotel and back to the airport. You will take a short math test mostly based on the guide you are provided. There were two 1:2 interviews with merchandisers or buyer teams. Finally there is a case study. You are giving ten minutes to read over a case about who to invest in. You are supposed to argue your case to the other interviewees and come to a decision on who to invest in.

Didn't like the Chicago area

Event Pricing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sears (Hoffman Estates, IL) in December 2013.

Interview

Interviewed by the manager and director of Kmart Grocery. Had to wait over month to hear back from the hiring team, and I was already an employee, and even though I was a current employee and only moving from one depatment to another, all of my benefits were cancelled and my badge was disabled, so I had to go through the whole process of getting my benfits restored and badge reinstated.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiations. I would advice others to negotiate a little higher than what you will accept.

Technology@Sears Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Sears (Chicago, IL).

Interview

This is the new program which is the revamp of the earlier TLP Program. There were 3 rounds with 2 interviews and 1 group session. The interviews were very much based on previous experience and future expectations.

Interview Questions

• Top 3 skills required for a product manager, and the processes and tools to be used for each.   Answer Question

Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sears (Hoffman Estates, IL).

Interview

Initial communications were very good up to and through the second round of phone interviews. Upon traveling to the HQ; however, things got odd. Airport arrival and hotel arrangements were made, but very cold. Entry into the mothership was also very austere. The interview process seemed to be just that--a process. It was the strangest onsite interview I had ever encountered. I had absolutely no follow up response despite reaching out to them. Suffice to say, I'm grateful an offer was not extended as I might have been tempted to relocate to the city. Not surprising given the company's status, but it seemed to be an every wo/man for himself scenario.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sears (Hoffman Estates, IL).

Interview

Got a call from HR. Thought to give a try even though I was not convinced to join SHC. Phone interview followed by a written test. It was unexpected to have such an analytical written test for a company like Sears. The in person was well organized and the interviewers were friendly. Algorithms, Data structures, web services, SOA. surprised to see a puzzle questions. People looked motivated though they were not very clear to answer when asked about future. Overall looked like attending an amazon interview :)

Interview Questions

• Everything was unexpected - DS, Algorithms, Design elevator, puzzle to solve a problem - Typical amazon, google type of questions   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was good and was not very much negotiable.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sears (Hoffman Estates, IL) in November 2013.

Interview

4 rounds of onsite interview after initial HR call

Interview Questions

• Write program for Binary search.   Answer Question
    • write a program to reverse string. write a program to find first non repeating letter from the string. what is the good thing about IE. explain linked list. What is servlet.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sears (Hoffman Estates, IL).

Interview

The online application asked many questions that should be held until later in the process (e.g. SSN and references were required). Otherwise the process was very organized. Talked with recruiter, phone interview with hiring manager a couple days later. Received call back within hours to schedule in-person interview with hiring manager and team member. Recruiter confirmed interview with an email that included directions and benefits information. When I arrived, the receptionist handed me a folder with my itinerary and information about the company. Everyone I talked with was professional and friendly.

Interview Questions

• There were several situational questions. How have you dealt with a difficult team member? How do you create good relationships with stakeholders?   Answer Question