Sears Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Mar 19, 2015

2.8

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sears.

Got a call from HR. Thought to give a try even though I was not convinced to join SHC. Phone interview followed by a written test. It was unexpected to have such an analytical written test for a company like Sears. The in person was well organized and the interviewers were friendly. Algorithms, Data structures, web services, SOA. surprised to see a puzzle questions. People looked motivated though they were not very clear to answer when asked about future. Overall looked like attending an amazon interview :)

Interview Questions
    • Everything was unexpected - DS, Algorithms, Design elevator, puzzle to solve a problem - Typical amazon, google type of questions   Answer Question
    Offer was good and was not very much negotiable.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sears in November 2013.

4 rounds of onsite interview after initial HR call

Interview Questions
    • Write program for Binary search.   Answer Question
    • write a program to reverse string. write a program to find first non repeating letter from the string. what is the good thing about IE. explain linked list. What is servlet.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sears.

The online application asked many questions that should be held until later in the process (e.g. SSN and references were required). Otherwise the process was very organized. Talked with recruiter, phone interview with hiring manager a couple days later. Received call back within hours to schedule in-person interview with hiring manager and team member. Recruiter confirmed interview with an email that included directions and benefits information. When I arrived, the receptionist handed me a folder with my itinerary and information about the company. Everyone I talked with was professional and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • There were several situational questions. How have you dealt with a difficult team member? How do you create good relationships with stakeholders?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Sears in October 2013.

Contacted a recruiter. There were 3 rounds, they asked questions on data structures mostly...also some design questions. Difficulty level was moderate to difficult, but yes the interview process is more like Amazon.

The second telephonic round is the toughest, you should get the job if you get through.
    One person asks questions but there are other 4 persons listening!!!

In the onsite interview same questions were repeated and 2 of 4 interviewers were absent. I really liked talking with the principal architect though as he was very knowledgeable.

Interview Questions
    • Design a game of poker( I didn't know how to play poker and offered to explain blackjack and they accepted).   Answer Question

The offer was great..but I already had another good offer from another company...and was not too sure about the future of Sears..

Lean Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sears.

Very quick to respond. There were 2 interviews - Mostly asked about my past experience, roles and responsibilities, asked questions to find out if i was a good fit for their role. The interviewers were friendly - It was more like a flow of conversation. A few behavioral aspects from my past job

Interview Questions
    I tried to negotiate and got them to increase my salary slightly.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sears.

I Walked in Filled out and application was inteview by HR associate then the department manager/store manager walked out with the job. I was lucky that day i fit the profile.

Interview Questions
    • If your shift ended and no replacement had arrived what would you do.   View Answer
    There was no negotion phase . I left not even knowing what my hourly rate was going to be . Christmas was coming and I wanted to be working.I was just happy that they chose me as this was not my first time applying to this company.

Marketing Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sears in August 2013.

It was an excellent experience. The position that I applied to mentioned that they were looking for someone with quantitative analysis skills, particularly someone with the ability to run market simulation and forecasting. The recruiter was a doll, absolutely great to work with and wonderful to talk to. She asked me about my experiences, why I wanted to work for SHC, why I thought I would do well in the position, and whether I thought it was more important to be creative or analytical.

I was invited out to Hoffman Estates IL from where I live for an interview. I should mention that at every step along the way they offered to accommodate me by offering phone and Skype interviews because they were aware that I was coming in from out of state. I was to interview with a senior manager and the director of marketing, but the morning of the director called out sick. The recruiter and the manager that I met with was extremely apologetic about this.

I after chatting with the recruiter for a while, I met with the manger and spoke for what was supposed to be a 45 min interview but turned into a 2 hour long interview. He was fantastic: very friendly, laid back and easy to talk to. He first talked a bit about the company structure and the position in detail, including some of the duties. One of the things that he mentioned is that the analysis mentioned in the job posting was not something that they were doing currently, but rather something that they were attempting to transition into in the coming months and years; rather, the vast majority the position would be to maintain and produce on current marketing efforts. Beyond that, he unfortunately didn't have too many more details about the duties of the position. The interview that I had with him basically ran through every line of my resume and asked me to discuss it in terms of the position in question.

I followed up and mentioned that i would be in town for the remainder of the week if they wanted to schedule something with the director that I didn't have a chance to meet with. I got a response back within a day, saying that they would like to take me up on the offer and scheduled a meeting for the next day. I went back on Friday and met with the director and a second senior manager, the one that I would be directly reporting to; both of which were extremely nice and great to talk to.

Unfortunately, this is where things started to go wrong for me. The position would be almost entirely working on the current visual media marketing projects, and while the director was indeed trying to transition the role into more of an analysis role, it was not likely to happen for some time. In the mean time, the role would be largely building and editing proofs of the in store circular for the weekly deals and discounts; in other words, not what I thought it would be at all. She asked me only a couple questions related to my job experiences; she asked me why I thought they should hire me; and then asked me some case questions that were drawn directly from the duties of the position. Afterwards, I asked whether she had any reservations about me in that role, and she mentioned that I had little to no visual media experience, which I don't.

When she was done the second manager discussed the position a little bit more with me; she was much more interested answering my questions about the position and about the people who worked there, but I was at that point completely out of questions to ask. It was a bit awkward to be honest, because I was attempting to find additional things to say that I had not already asked. She mentioned that if I was selected, they would contact me very quickly, but the director was extremely picky and would rather not fill roles than fill them with the wrong people.

All in all the experience was excellent, perhaps better than any other company that I have interviewed with so far. They were highly professional and very courteous, and everyone that I met with from the recruiter to the director was extremely friendly. When there was a mistake it was acknowledged and rectified almost immediately, with the solutions offered in a way that was clear that they respected my schedule and time, something I simply cannot say for any other company. The only thing that I am upset about was that the position stressed analysis skills, yet was basically not an analytical position; this has also never happened to me before.

Interview Questions
    • You have dozens of suppliers who are looking to put their products on the front page. How do you choose who goes on the front page, and how do you explain your decision to those who did not get on the front?   View Answer

Tax Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Sears in August 2013.

Applied online, received an email to answer a few questions about experience and then had a phone call to set up an interview a few days later. First round of interviews went well. Met with four people that included a few managers and a senior analyst. Most asked basic questions about experience. A couple of them were "fill in" interviews, but it was nice getting to know them and their experiences with Sears Holdings. After a week, I was emailed for the second round of interviews. Again, I met with four people, the director, two staff, and another "fill in" manager. This round didn't feel as good as the first round. After meeting with eight people and answering the same eight questions, I had the feeling that they didn't know what direction they wanted to go in. I was a little shocked at how most of the group was newer. Most only been there in that position less than a year. Some even had zero property tax experience. After four weeks of not being notified if I was getting an offer or not, I kind of had to bother the HR recruiter to answer me.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult. They were all professional with their questions.   Answer Question

Inventory Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sears in August 2013.

The whole process took about two weeks and consisted of a phone interview and then an in-person. I was given a decision within 48 hours of my in-person.

Interview Questions
    • It was all very straight forward and there weren't any real brain busters   Answer Question
    No negotiation unless you're being hired as a manager or above

Category Manager II - Travel Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sears in May 2013.

After having a phone interview with HR, I was invited to the Hoffman Estates campus and interviewed by four people over a three hour period from the procurement team. Three of the four people were very nice and asked the typical interview questions. One of the newer VP's of procurement was unbelievably horrible to me when I couldn't answer questions regarding CPSM classes that involved supply management practices. These practices have nothing to do with the travel procurement category because this is managed differently. I took the classes several years ago and he was involved in the first stages of learning the course. Thank goodness he showed his true colors in the interview, I wouldn't want to work for this person. I have a feeling others don't want to either.

Interview Questions
    • There was one essay question and then other questions from the CPSM exams such as-

Knowledge of a firm's strengths and weaknesses, changes in the business environment, historical trends, and management goals are:

A. components of a firm's mission statement.

B. useful in assessing the firm's marketing budget.

C. the basis for selecting target markets.

D. critical for developing a public relations plan

Answer Question