Sears

Getting the Interview

1,082 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears in April 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for the position at the location, the online application is very user friendly. The personality test was a bit more time consuming. Overall the whole process took less than 2 weeks.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you were faced with an extremely upset customer and how you handled the situation to put the customer at ease.   Answer Question

Merchandising and Pricing Associate Interview

Interviewed at Sears

Interview Details – I applied through the website. First, they have you submit a resume and input your typical information. Then they have you take a 30-45 minute personality assessment. After that, you must complete five simulated situations relating to customer service. It was quite entertaining, but very time consuming. After a few weeks, I received an email from Sears apparently saying I did not pass the assessments.

Interview Question – What would you do if you were helping a customer, and then another person comes up to and wants to ask a "quick question."   Answer Question

Office Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – After applying online for the Office Associate position, I got a phone call in about 2-3 days. They offered me two options of available dates to choose from in order to schedule my interview. The closest date was a week away from the day they called.
I arrived 15-20 min earlier and let to know human resources that I was there for an interview. Someone else was scheduled for an interview before me, but the person didn't show up, so the lady from human resources let me in.
The interview started with typical "tell me about yourself" question, followed by several situational questions. Then she asked about my availability. The interview was relatively short, she asked me about 10 question. I was prepared for the interview but the pay they offered was too low. The lady who interviewed me seemed to be nice and professional. I was prepared for the interview, so there are was not any unexpected or very difficult questions. Below are examples of questions for people who are applying for the position.

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging task from your previous job experience?   Answer Question
  • Do you have an experience handling cash/money?   Answer Question
  • What so you enjoy doing the most in an office/administrative job? What you don't like doing the most in an office/administrative job?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Team Manager Interview

Lake Mary, FL

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Sears in October 2013.

Interview Details – Initially I was contacted by phone by a recruiter in Texas and advise of a phone interview three days later. The recruiter asked standard questions about experiences that I had with previous employers. How I handle difficult employees. What I do to build a team. After the interview I was advised that I will be going to a on-site interview at the location that I will be working. During the second interview I was given a case study to review with team statistics. After the completion of that interview; I was notified within two days that I would be receiving a third interview with a panel.

Interview Question – None were difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked the recruiter to go back to the drawing board; however, Sears pretty much tells you what you will be making.

Salesman Interview

Interviewed at Sears

Interview Details – Basic retail questions and made sure I had transportation.

Interview Question – Do you have dependable transportation   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Janesville, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sears in April 2014.

Interview Details – First was called by the district recruiter for a phone interview, and then was scheduled for a one on one interview at the store I applied to. Interview was very laid back and was set up as more of a personal conversation to get to know you and get a sense of your personality.

Interview Question – Simple and ordinary interview questions
*Name a time you provided or received good customer service
*Tell me about yourself
*Tell me about a time you had to choose between helping a coworker or completely your own task
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Very unprofessional setting.When I called back to confirm my interview time the manager would not come to the phone and we were having a conversation back and forth through a sales associate. When I went in for my interview the manager who had called me and confirmed my interview time had went out to lunch (this was an interview at 5:00pm mind you) This would have been okay had she set up another person to interview me, but she didn't. I waited in the office for 20 minutes while they ran around trying to find someone to interview me. Absolutely no negotiation on pay whatsoever. Wanted to pay me $7.25 as i'm earning $7.75 at my current job. Completely against negotiating the 50 cents. I would have been okay with it if I had gotten a more professional vibe from the workplace, but was not worth it for the way the interview was handled.

Very Easy Interview

Merchandising and Pricing Associate Interview

Dothan, AL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sears in April 2014.

Interview Details – The interview was very easy. There was a two part interview. For the first part the questions pertained to my availability, and the second interview questions were more geared to my work experience, and what I wanted out of Sears.

Interview Question – Give me a time where you experienced great customer service.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The company I was working for at the time was partnering with Sears to add their merchandise the following summer, so it would have been a conflict of interest.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – Depending on location, interview can either be one on one or group style. Takes about an hour and it's pretty straight-forward.
No experience is necessary!

Interview Question – Do you shop at Sears often?   View Answer

Assistant Retail Store Manager Interview

Taunton, MA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – Several layers, application, psych eval test, including math and customer service, two interviews centered around culture of the company

Interview Question – no difficult questions, very standard   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not think to negotiate

Very Easy Interview

Cashier Interview

Newark, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – Interview with the lead. Next interview with a manager.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time...   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sears

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sears interview questions and advice. All 1,082 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sears employees and interview candidates.