Sears

Relevance Date Difficulty

Store General Manager Interview

Store General Manager
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Sears in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied through a posting on Careerbuilder. A recruiter emailed me a week later for an initial phone screening. Then it became a complete mess. I was scheduled then rescheduled with 3 different district managers and locations. Between this time and the in-person interview, I completed a skills/personality assessment. Unlike other companies, you will NOT move on if you don't do well on this assessment (the ratings are recommend for hire and not recommended for hire, not a score) I finally got the in-person interview 3 months later. After that interview with the DM, I had a phone interview with the RVP and the RHRM. I received the offer a few days later and accepted.

Interview Question – There were your normal behavioral based "tell me about a time when" questions. Also be prepared to talk about metrics and how you have/how you will impact them. This is by FAR the most metric focused company I've been apart of.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The initial offer I received was 10k less than what I was seeking. I rebuffed and we settled on an additional 5k. You want to be aggressive in the negotiation phase since the company no longer employs raises or a 401k match.

Sales Associate - Fine Jewelry Interview

Sales Associate - Fine Jewelry
Burbank, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sears in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online with resume' information and then took an online questionnaire about the sales process and following company procedures. I was then called to come in to speak one-on-one with two store managers.

Interview Question – Would you make this position your career?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I believe I would have enjoyed the job but the income would not have been a livable wage.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Yonkers, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sears in November 2013.

Interview Details – Group interview with about 6 other people in a conference room sitting at lunch tables with manager sitting facing all of us asking questions and going over each of all of our availability and experience one by one, encouraged asking questions and joked around.

Interview Question – Why do you think they didn't keep you at your last job?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Quick and Easy Interview

Quick and Easy
East Wenatchee, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Sears in June 2010.

Interview Details – I was called very shortly after submitting my application. The online application had a very lengthy multiple choice survey. I then had my first interview with my direct supervisor and second interview with the stor manager in the same day and was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – The questions were pretty typical. I suppose the mis difficult as when I had to answer what I had observed when I was given a tour if th store.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not feel the need or opportunity to negotiate a part time retail job.

Assistant Store Manager In Training (IT) Interview

Assistant Store Manager In Training (IT)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – Two pre-hire assessments. They ask you mostly about your personality. *on the weekends I prefer to...a) party, b) read books c) watch television d) go to the club
1st interview- Store manager (followed recent college graduate interview guidelines and questionnaire
2nd interview- Human resources (ask more questions mostly about location, biggest weakness, previous employment experiences)
3rd interview- General Manager (overview of what they are looking for in terms of who should fill the position, leaves it open to questioning)

Interview Question – The most difficult thing was to come up with specific examples from previous employment or college classes. This was just my personal experience because I worked two full time jobs and went to school full time all at once.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Final call was to state salary. There was no negotiating anything in terms of pay or vacation. It was a take it or leave it offer.

Assistant Retail Store Manager Interview

Assistant Retail Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of two interviews. First was a face to face interview with the Store Manager; the second was an hour long phone interview with the District Manager. Interviews felt very good cop/bad cop. First one built me up, pumped me up and brought out the confidence. Second one felt like the inquisition where everything felt like the wrong thing to say.

Interview Question – How do you plan on managing a team of hourly retail associates AND commission based associates?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I accepted the first offer that was given. I didn't want to try my hand at negotiating given that when we discussed pay initially, I had thrown out a number that was 10% higher than what I was looking for, and they immediatly matched it. Think about how much you are looking for, what you are worth, and tack on another 10%.

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – Applied online. Quick and easy. Got invited in for an interview with an assistant manager within 3 or 4 days. Interviewed with assistant manager and followed up with a store manager immediately after the first interview. Hired on the spot. E-mails indicating further steps.

Interview Question – A customer has been waiting on a sales associate on a day where lines seem endless and everyone is busy, when addressing the customer, why do you want to refrain from saying "sorry for the wait"?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Straight forward acceptance with pay and job clearly defined beforehand.

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – I had a few interviews but I was already hired on the second interview and asked to bring important documents and a big smile. I was not nervous at all all I really did was asked a few company questions and provided previous past work experiences.

Interview Question – I really was not asked a difficult question that I couldn't answer.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – I applied online after seeing an add on craigslist. They called and set up an interview over the phone. I was told to meet with the manager. I went and was asked to wait because my interviewer was busy. After the interview, I was called later that day for the job offer.

Interview Question – How has your customer service experience been in the past?   Answer Question

Merchandising and Pricing Associate Interview

Merchandising and Pricing Associate
Spokane, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sears in July 2014.

Interview Details – A hardline recruiter called me about 30 minutes after completing the application and online assesment to offer me an interview. i arrived 15 minutes early the interviewer was 30 minutes late. The whole experience was a complete was of time because the recuiter failed to look at my availablility due to working full time already.

Interview Question – A young kind was conducting the interview, no questions were really asked other than what brought me to Sears. Then I was offered the job.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – My availability wasn't inline with what they needed.