Sears

1,333 Interview Reviews

2.3

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sears in October 2014.

Hiring process apparently was pretty organized. Had 2 rounds (1 technical + 1 behavioral) on campus. In technical they started the discussion with projects that I had undertaken and later on java(mostly basic stuff). Since, I had mentioned Angular js on my resume, I was asked to write a basic MVC architecture for Angular js application. Apart from this they questioned on threads, JSP and Data Structure(pretty much the regulation questions).

Within 2 weeks they scheduled for Onsite interviews(3 technical : each 45 mins). They focussed on Design Patterns like Singleton, Factory and Observer. Apart from this they interviewed us for concepts/technologies like Database concepts(basics), Java,Threads, Angular Js and Struts. In last interview they gave scheduling problem to solve and later asked to optimize it.

Overall, it was decent interview experience. Prepare OOPS, Data Structures, Design Patterns and Algorithms. It will be good to have understanding of any framework or new javascript libraries like angular.

The HR responded back within a week with an offer. Package offered was very competitive.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unusual. Everything asked was pretty standard.   Answer Question
    Package offered was very competitive. Still they were open for a negotiation.

Merchandising and Pricing Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sears in October 2014.

I applied online in early September and was contacted in early October for an interview. I arrived early and was seated in a common area clearly designed to let me and all others know that they had a goal to meet in hiring a certain amount of people before the holidays. I knew right away that as long as I remained professional and courteous that the job was mine.

I was asked a series of "first job" questions which did not apply to me since I had retail experience but none the less I answered all with a smile. I was asked my availability and was told the pay ($7.25 per hour). I was asked for my social security card and ID and told that I would be getting a series of emails from the HR department within the next 24 hours which arrived promptly. I went online and completed a couple of forms giving permission to run a criminal/credit background check and also agreeing to a drug screen if chosen. I was told that the drug screens were issued randomly and I received an email about 5 minutes after completing the forms letting me know that I had been chosen for a screen.

Within 3 business days after completing the drug screen and background check I received an email congratulating me on my job offer and giving me links to begin the on-board process. This process involved all of the usual paperwork that you would normally fill out with the HR department, I-9, W-2, direct deposit, etc.

Upon completion of the online on-board process I received a call from the department manager letting me know when I needed to be in the store for orientation.

A very simple interview and new hire process indeed.

Interview Questions
    • Be ready with your most recent positive customer service experience, both given and received.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, I was given the standard starting hourly rate of $7.25.

Softlines MCA Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sears.

The interview had three parts to it, HR, Dept Manager, Assistant Store Manager. The ASM makes the final call. I applied online, was called two days later, interviewed 3 days later, then offered a job! Took the drug test the same day off site. I do not remember how quickly I actually ended up working, but I think it was all less than two weeks process.

Interview Questions
    • Out of all the jobs you have held.. what is the one thing that you regret?   Answer Question
    no negotiation. Standard salary

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Sears in October 2014.

I initially started the hiring process by walking in to an open interview job fair. I had a quick interview, I was told about sears programs and asked one question. I was offered a second interview right away. The second interview was a group session we were asked about 5-7 questions. The session was about 30-40 minutes. I was hired on the spot. However, I was offered a different position than what I applied for but I'm still happy with my offer as a merchandiser. To give a quick time frame: First Interview "Friday", Second Interview "Tuesday" = Hired. Drug Testing & Orientation Next, we're scheduled for orientation based on how quickly we finish our paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you achieved a goal?   Answer Question
    • There's only one position and everyone in this room is competing for it, why should we hire you?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you helped someone with technology?
      "Work environment example preferred"

Answer Question
    • Define excellent customer service   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your most recent job(s) and why you left   Answer Question
    • What would prevent you from shopping online?   Answer Question
    Everyone was asked what position, they preferred but not everyone was offered their desired position. They offered opportunities based off where they felt you would fit best. "take it or leave it".

Backroom Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paradise Valley, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paradise Valley, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at Sears in October 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter and scheduled an interview. When I arrived at the scheduled time no one knew I was to be interviewed and had to reschedule for the next day. The next day the interviewer was late. I had researched the company and the job and the only requirements listed were to be 18+ and able to do basic math. My past work experience also fit with the job duties that were listed. The interview seemed to go well and I was scheduled to be interviewed by the store manager on Monday. I spent the weekend preparing. When I arrived on Monday I had to wait 20 minutes to find out that the store manager had decided not to bother interviewing me and had just turned down my application. I was told that I did not have enough warehouse experience, even though that was not listed as a requirement. I felt that my age and race were the real reason for them not hiring me.

Interview Questions
    • A time that I had received good customer service.   View Answer

Merchandising and Pricing Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sears in October 2014.

Prior retail experience is a big plus. This is a supervisory/managerial role, so be prepared to answer questions regarding prior leadership/supervisor experiences. The overall interview experience is pretty straight forward and short, and you will see many of the "standard" interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think is the best method to deliver a poor review or negative comment to a colleague.   Answer Question

Sears Assistant Store Manager Brand Central Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Littleton, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Littleton, CO

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sears in October 2014.

Interview process was professional, well executed and comprehensive. Several online interviews based on job requirements and character. Then a face-to-face interview with the store manager and district manager. We then went into negotiations for salary and benefits. Unfortunately Sears does not pay for health coverage and they offer a generic health plan. I found a better plan using the online marketplace. They were kind enough to give me a week to reply to the offer. Overall they were very accommodating.

Appliance Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Sears in October 2014.

I walked into the store after seeing a "help wanted" ad and applied online. I was phoned by an employee who could not figure out my first name. I had to phone the store and find the employee to schedule the interview. I was left on hold for twenty minutes two calls....after being cleared by a background check. The entire sit down took about an hour to complete...they seemed surprised that I knew as much as I did about their own firm.

Interview Questions
    • General questions....very unfocussed interview...One interviewer did not even read my resume before speaking to me. He was late for the appointment as well.   Answer Question

Software Developer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longwood, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longwood, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Sears in October 2014.

This was probably the most awkward interview i have ever had.
    I had to write a couple of very basic SQL statements and also find a very obvious bug using Visual Studio.
    But here's the awkward part:
    All 4 interviewers are watching you and interrupting your work as you attempt to solve the questions...:O)
    I can't even imagine what's like to actually work there...:O)

I applied for a Software Developer 3 position and was informed during the interview that it was actually for a Developer 2 position.
    The online job posting is for "Sears Holdings Corp" but it is actually for Sears Home Improvement (not corporate).

I felt out of place in my suit & tie outfit...
    The location, the people, the facilities... the whole experience has "blue-collar" written all over it.

Things to keep in mind:
    They do not cover your travel expenses.
    The interview happened in the same week Sears announced 5000+ layoffs.
    The maximum offered salary was dirt-low.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sears.

Phone interview and one live interview with manager. Both interviews were a breeze. Should be no problem if you have half a brain. Appeared to forth with about job, except probably exaggerated commission possibilities.