Sears

2.3

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Sears in October 2014.

I initially started the hiring process by walking in to an open interview job fair. I had a quick interview, I was told about sears programs and asked one question. I was offered a second interview right away. The second interview was a group session we were asked about 5-7 questions. The session was about 30-40 minutes. I was hired on the spot. However, I was offered a different position than what I applied for but I'm still happy with my offer as a merchandiser. To give a quick time frame: First Interview "Friday", Second Interview "Tuesday" = Hired. Drug Testing & Orientation Next, we're scheduled for orientation based on how quickly we finish our paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you achieved a goal?   Answer Question
    • There's only one position and everyone in this room is competing for it, why should we hire you?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you helped someone with technology?
      "Work environment example preferred"

Answer Question
    • Define excellent customer service   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your most recent job(s) and why you left   Answer Question
    • What would prevent you from shopping online?   Answer Question
    Everyone was asked what position, they preferred but not everyone was offered their desired position. They offered opportunities based off where they felt you would fit best. "take it or leave it".

Backroom Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paradise Valley, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paradise Valley, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at Sears in October 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter and scheduled an interview. When I arrived at the scheduled time no one knew I was to be interviewed and had to reschedule for the next day. The next day the interviewer was late. I had researched the company and the job and the only requirements listed were to be 18+ and able to do basic math. My past work experience also fit with the job duties that were listed. The interview seemed to go well and I was scheduled to be interviewed by the store manager on Monday. I spent the weekend preparing. When I arrived on Monday I had to wait 20 minutes to find out that the store manager had decided not to bother interviewing me and had just turned down my application. I was told that I did not have enough warehouse experience, even though that was not listed as a requirement. I felt that my age and race were the real reason for them not hiring me.

Interview Questions
    • A time that I had received good customer service.   View Answer

Merchandising and Pricing Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sears in October 2014.

Prior retail experience is a big plus. This is a supervisory/managerial role, so be prepared to answer questions regarding prior leadership/supervisor experiences. The overall interview experience is pretty straight forward and short, and you will see many of the "standard" interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think is the best method to deliver a poor review or negative comment to a colleague.   Answer Question

Sears Assistant Store Manager Brand Central Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Littleton, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Littleton, CO

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sears in October 2014.

Interview process was professional, well executed and comprehensive. Several online interviews based on job requirements and character. Then a face-to-face interview with the store manager and district manager. We then went into negotiations for salary and benefits. Unfortunately Sears does not pay for health coverage and they offer a generic health plan. I found a better plan using the online marketplace. They were kind enough to give me a week to reply to the offer. Overall they were very accommodating.

Appliance Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sears in October 2014.

You apply online, then wait to have your background checked then you get called for an interview. You have an interview upstairs in a small office. I had done my homework on the company and they seemed so surprised to hear my answers. Also, the senior manager had not even read my resume prior to the in store meeting and was late in receiving me. There were two people interviewing me.

Interview Questions
    • I think I asked most of the questions...this is an all commission job.   View Answer

Software Developer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longwood, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longwood, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Sears in October 2014.

This was probably the most awkward interview i have ever had.
    I had to write a couple of very basic SQL statements and also find a very obvious bug using Visual Studio.
    But here's the awkward part:
    All 4 interviewers are watching you and interrupting your work as you attempt to solve the questions...:O)
    I can't even imagine what's like to actually work there...:O)

I applied for a Software Developer 3 position and was informed during the interview that it was actually for a Developer 2 position.
    The online job posting is for "Sears Holdings Corp" but it is actually for Sears Home Improvement (not corporate).

I felt out of place in my suit & tie outfit...
    The location, the people, the facilities... the whole experience has "blue-collar" written all over it.

Things to keep in mind:
    They do not cover your travel expenses.
    The interview happened in the same week Sears announced 5000+ layoffs.
    The maximum offered salary was dirt-low.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sears.

Phone interview and one live interview with manager. Both interviews were a breeze. Should be no problem if you have half a brain. Appeared to forth with about job, except probably exaggerated commission possibilities.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Sears.

I worked at a hometown store, so I just talked with the owner and manager for a half hour. They asked about my past work history, and schedule availablty. They never discussed how much I would be making until after I started.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Sears.

The hiring process was extremely easy - there was one phone interview, then I was offered the position. The recruiters hold your hand from the beginning of the process all the way through the internship.

Interview Questions
    • Depending on the position, there are technical questions   Answer Question

Assistant Retail Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sears.

Interview was with the store manager. The recruiter then set up an interview with the district manager It was in about a week. The district manager lived out of town.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about how you turned a team around that was not performing. What did you do to change the culture?   Answer Question