Sears

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Manager

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Sears in August 2010.

Interview Details – Multiple stages with people who had no hiring authority.

Interview Question – What have you heard about the organization in the news   Answer Question

Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sears.

Interview Details – The hiring process was slower due to me being an out-of-town candidate and the holiday season. A few of the interviews had to be rescheduled due to conflicts. Otherwise, the in-house recruiter was great – very communicative and supportive throughout the process. The team had a good mix of experience and young, creative types. They were forthright about the uphill challenge facing Sears Holdings, but presented an good vision for its future. The interview process was thorough but always pleasant.

Interview Question – No questions were too difficult or unexpected. Questions were split between experience and what I'd call "mini-cases" (e.g. tell me what you think about such-and-such that we're doing, etc.).   Answer Question

Denver, CO

The process took 4 months - interviewed at Sears in September 2011.

Interview Details – I went through the whole testing and interview process in June, but only heard back from them yesterday - 4 months later - this time they asked a couple of questions and requested another resume, which I sent. They did not seem to realise I had already interviewed in June, so I let them know that I had, but that I would be happy to interview again. Instead of bringing me in for another interview, today I got an e-mail telling me they hired someone else. I was not really happy with my interview experience, but I am glad that they did give me a shot.

Interview Question – Be ready for a long list of generic behavioral interview questions. These types of interviews always make me feel that they want to hire people who can act like they are good workers over people with good character who actually are good workers,   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interviewed at Sears

Interview Details – 4 interviews, 2 with directors, vp and hr

Interview Question – tell me about your self   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Manager

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Sears in April 2011.

Interview Details – From the initial filling out of the paperwork to the 1:1 interview; everything was smooth as it could be. The process of the interview was extremely detailed and I was notified every step of the way.

Interview Question – What makes a manager important?   Answer Question

Manager

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Sears in August 2010.

Interview Details – Several Interviews were required for this position. It consisted of a management (peer) level interview first which went very well. Questions regarding experience using situational scenarios were pointed, and meant to elicit an explanatory response. Then an interview from my prospective supervisor and another individual whom I was told I would be working with if brought on board, in a panel type setting. This was unusual for me but since I have a lot of experience I wasn't phased. Each of them asked me different questions, however they were even more specific in nature as to my direct experience for the job and was structured in the format of the first interview I had. In both interviews everyone was dressed very professionally so I was glad I did too and didn't go the polo shirt and slacks route.

This was not a quick process however. It took several weeks which seemed a bit long to me but I soon found out why. Although this is a regular "management" position I found out that they were looking for someone with some specific skills to address a particular issue when brought on board. Skills which I happened to acquire as a secondary responsibility in my previous job. This information was on my resume, so I'm glad I put that in too. This was not a glad handing process. They knew what they wanted and I could tell it was serious from the beginning.

Interview Question – There were several questions between the two interviews that were similar. So giving different answers was the most challenging. They were taking notes and I didn't want to give the same answer twice.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The overall salaried package (time off, medical, etc.) is comprehensive and well explained. Only salary had "wiggle room" though. Ordinarily I would not talk salary until an offer was received, but I was pressed for a number at every interview, even the first one. I'm glad I did my homework and looked up comparable positions in the area and came up with an average range I gave them. That got me past the first interview, but they wanted a real number at the second. I got what I wanted though. I received a firm offer including salary a few days later, which was higher (by a little) than what I had hoped for. So I didn't press it.

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!